Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Hello!
I run a small business and have been using Apple Mail for all my emails. One very important feature I noticed that was missing was a Notes section. I talk to a lot of clients on a daily basis, and it would be great if I could write notes for each email that I receive. For example, I receive an email from John Doe, so I give him a call and have a nice lengthy conversation with him. I would like to include these notes next to the email he sent me.

Is there any app that can do this? I've been having to memorize everything up until this point and I am running out of room in my small brain :eek:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
This is not an to your question but this for now could also be kind of a solution.

Why not use flags like in the screen shot below and assign yourself tasks to it.
There are 7 different flag colours you can use.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-11 at 16.22.30.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-11 at 16.22.30.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 73

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks for the reply justperry, but I'm not sure that will help me much.

When I receive an email from a client/potential client, I usually call them on the phone or have additional information I want to note on the original. This would help me out A LOT, so I can go back and remember exactly what we spoke about, or have additional information on that particular email.

This seems like it should be a common feature, but I guess not :(

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hello!
I run a small business and have been using Apple Mail for all my emails. One very important feature I noticed that was missing was a Notes section. I talk to a lot of clients on a daily basis, and it would be great if I could write notes for each email that I receive. For example, I receive an email from John Doe, so I give him a call and have a nice lengthy conversation with him. I would like to include these notes next to the email he sent me.

Is there any app that can do this? I've been having to memorize everything up until this point and I am running out of room in my small brain :eek:

I believe MS Outlook would do what you want with its Notes feature. You should be able to just drag an email over into the Notes section to make a new Note, then edit the note however you want.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Not exactly what you're looking for, but Postbox will allow you to edit email messages, so you could then type the notes from your phone conversation directly into the email.

Alternatively, Postbox has good Evernote integration so you could send export the email to EN and either type the notes directly into the same note, or create a new note and link it to the email copy.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks for the replies.

I'm a bit confused about the Notes for Outlook. It doesn't seem like it is what I was looking for. For almost every email I receive, I will have to have notes by the email. So, when I click the email in my inbox, I would like to see the notes with it.

The Postbox Editing option sounds interesting. This might be the closest thing to the notes feature I could find.

I'm surprised that this feature has never been introduced. I would think I wasn't the first one to want this option :(

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm a bit confused about the Notes for Outlook. It doesn't seem like it is what I was looking for. For almost every email I receive, I will have to have notes by the email. So, when I click the email in my inbox, I would like to see the notes with it.

What I was thinking was when you got an email you wanted to incorporate into a note, you would just drag the email into the Notes inbox, this making it a note you could then edit etc. Don't know if that is the workflow you had in mind.

nielsrasmus

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2011
FWIW,

you could install Thunderbird.

They have some add-ons that'll do what you want and more :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.