Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
For those of you who live in an area of the US where DST applies*, it ends Saturday night (early Sunday morning) at 2 AM local time... set your clocks back one hour before you go to bed, and enjoy the extra hour of sleep!

(Obviously, you shouldn't have to manually set your computer's clock, or your cable box, or your VCR, or your cellphone... but microwave ovens, ranges, watches, and clocks in cars may need to be re-set.)

* Pretty much everywhere except Arizona, PARTS of Indiana, and Hawai'i. (Ya weirdos. ;) )

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
YES!
MORE SLEEP!

which actually means, ONE MORE HOUR TO MAKE MY HALLOWEEN COSTUME!

/will be best slutty shark EVER
//I win.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
mmm sleep soooo good!

and i think i will sleep most of sunday
maybe post on MR a bit, and chat online, but not really move from the bed all day!

thats the plan at least

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
My province is the only one in all of Canada that doesn't change our clocks. People have been wanting us to join the rest of North America and do it, but for some crazy reason we don't... :eek:

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
~Shard~ said:
My province is the only one in all of Canada that doesn't change our clocks. People have been wanting us to join the rest of North America and do it, but for some crazy reason we don't... :eek:
yall should go chill with arizona :p i think they dont have dst either...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
homerjward said:
yall should go chill with arizona :p i think they dont have dst either...

Yeah, you're right, I don't believe they do either. Heading down there for the winter might not be a bad idea either... ;)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Damn you all....

My clocks go forward tonight, I don't sleep much anyway but minus an hour is going to really hurt. At least the sun won't be coming up at 5am and the birds won't be waking me up so early anymore.

We're a bit funny with DST here, NSW does it, as does Vic (I think), Tas has already gone over, QLD don't (more on that later).

Queensland don't do DST, they think the extra hour of daylight will fade the curtains and all the men will get their morning erections on the bus to work rather than in bed. Mind you they call beer XXXX cause they can't spell beer. Yup, the queenslanders are a weird mob.

One good thing is that you can go north to Coffs Harbour, ring in the new year, zip up to the Gold Coast and do it all again.

It's very hot and muggy here today and the start of DST just reminds me of how much I don't like summer.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
clayj said:
For those of you who live in an area of the US where DST applies*, it ends Saturday night (early Sunday morning) at 2 AM local time... set your clocks back one hour before you go to bed, and enjoy the extra hour of sleep!

(Obviously, you shouldn't have to manually set your computer's clock, or your cable box, or your VCR, or your cellphone... but microwave ovens, ranges, watches, and clocks in cars may need to be re-set.)

* Pretty much everywhere except Arizona, PARTS of Indiana, and Hawai'i. (Ya weirdos. ;) )
Thanks...I really had no idea. I would have been an hour early to church.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Has anybody heard that the US wants to extend DST another 4 weeks? Did that idea get anywhere?

EDIT: my 500th post and that was it? :rolleyes: Oh well.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
EricNau said:
Has anybody heard that the US wants to extend DST another 4 weeks? Did that idea get anywhere?
Signed into law for 2007+

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday of March and end the first Sunday of November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to revert the Daylight Saving Time back to the 2005 time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complete.
B

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
EricNau said:

EDIT: my 500th post and that was it? :rolleyes: Oh well.

We did it for the Olympics, set the clocks forward an hour in September and got more daylight at the end of the day for parties and stuff.

It was panned before they did it but once they did everybody was pretty pleased, we went skiing while it was on and because everyone was at the games, the slopes were empty and you could ski all day long and because it moved the heat of the day an hour, the snow was in good nick when the lifts closed so you could go all day.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Chundles said:
We did it for the Olympics, set the clocks forward an hour in September and got more daylight at the end of the day for parties and stuff.

It was panned before they did it but once they did everybody was pretty pleased, we went skiing while it was on and because everyone was at the games, the slopes were empty and you could ski all day long and because it moved the heat of the day an hour, the snow was in good nick when the lifts closed so you could go all day.
makes sense
It's so weird how we just move time around.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
clayj said:

Thanks Mum... sorry, i mean "Mom" :p

We also go back to GMT at 2am tonight - end of British Summer Time. *ugh* how depressing... darkness from about 4pm

still, the extra hour of beauty sleep will come in handy...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
dietcokevanilla said:
We also go back to GMT at 2am tonight - end of British Summer Time. *ugh* how depressing... darkness from about 4pm

We should stay at BST for winter and switch to BDST during the summer months.

That said, I enjoy the early, cold, dark evenings. :)

tsaxer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2004
Tuscaloosa, AL
Y'know, this really shows just how subjective our interpretation of time is. We could count it in farsnarks and the real world (i.e. natural world) wouldn't give a crap. So I guess if there's really no natural 8am, and it's only a artificial construction used by man to try and wrestle with the concept of the passage of "time," I'm never really late for anything. I always arrived right when I do, and that is as "on time" as anyone can truly be.:D

Ugh, waking up a 4am is brutal...lol

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
I like when it gets dark early and also because it really introduces significant changes in weather. I am no lover of snow here in the NYC area, but I am very partial to cold temperatures. Summer has never been my most enjoyable time of year.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Deepdale said:
I like when it gets dark early and also because it really introduces significant changes in weather. I am no lover of snow here in the NYC area, but I am very partial to cold temperatures. Summer has never been my most enjoyable time of year.

People who share your opinion must be a rare few. ;) :)

Summer all the way. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.