Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonathanlaniado

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Hey guys, so I have an iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.0 using T-Mobile's network. It is a jailbroken and unlocked device.

Following T-Mobile support for iPhones, if I update my phone to iOS 6.1.3, would I need to jailbreak and unlock it again, or would it work with T-Mobile with no issues?

Thanks guys, leave your comments or ask me questions.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
swiftunlocks.com $2

Get your iPhone permanently unlocked and you can update or restore without ever losing your unlock. They've done several iPhones for me.

jonathanlaniado

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
swiftunlocks.com $2

Get your iPhone permanently unlocked and you can update or restore without ever losing your unlock. They've done several iPhones for me.

So are you saying that I will need to unlock it or are you just marketing a website?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'm not marketing the website, not affiliated with them at all.

Just suggesting that you use this method to unlock your iPhone so that you don't have to worry about any type of jailbreak or holding off on updates to keep your phone unlocked.

jonathanlaniado

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
I'm not marketing the website, not affiliated with them at all.

Just suggesting that you use this method to unlock your iPhone so that you don't have to worry about any type of jailbreak or holding off on updates to keep your phone unlocked.

They don't have T-mobile though, so yeah...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hey guys, so I have an iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.0 using T-Mobile's network. It is a jailbroken and unlocked device.

Following T-Mobile support for iPhones, if I update my phone to iOS 6.1.3, would I need to jailbreak and unlock it again, or would it work with T-Mobile with no issues?

Thanks guys, leave your comments or ask me questions.
How was the Phone unlocked? If it was unlocked with the jailbreak, then it probably would be locked again after the upgrade. If it was unlocked by the carrier, then it should still be unlocked after an OS upgrade.

But your phone is originally AT&T. You buy the unlock for the carrier your phone is locked to
Would that still work if he doesn't have an AT&T account? (I have no idea how the third party unlocks work.)

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
They don't have T-mobile though, so yeah...

But your 3GS was most likely an ATT iPhone.

It all depends on how your phone was unlocked. If it was legitimately unlocked by ATT or if it was illigitimately unlocked by one of the sites that somehow give Apple the clear signal for your IMEI, then your phone will stay unlocked if you update it.

But if your unlock somehow depends on your jailbreak, then you may lose it when you update. In this case the swiftunlock site could permanently restore your unlock.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
T-Mobile can't unlock it because it's not a T-Mobile phone. It's an AT&T phone. Maybe they can help. Swiftunlocks would be less hassle.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
T-Mobile can't unlock it because it's not a T-Mobile phone. It's an AT&T phone. Maybe they can help. Swiftunlocks would be less hassle.

True. I had a 3GS unlocked through T-Mobile and had to wait almost two months. I thought they forgot about me. For my 4S, I broke my contract after using my upgrade in January and then paying the first months bill. AT&T would never lock it because of that so I used swiftunlocks to unlock it two weeks after buying the phone. Very fast service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.