Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatJester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
My MBA is fairly new and I've really been enjoying it. However I'm timid to use the headphone (audio) jack as the couple times I've used it, I've left lasting marks. The plastic gets "dented" and much of the surrounding area transforms from the beautiful gray to a nasty black/brown. Anyone else experienced this? Truly hard to explain but even harder to take pictures of. See below.

x4cN37ah.jpg

GohY6obh.jpg

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
In a few months when u have food scraps between the keys and sweat stains on the palm rests u will wonder why u were so worried.

ThatJester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
In a few months when u have food scraps between the keys and sweat stains on the palm rests u will wonder why u were so worried.

Ha ha, most likely! In this case though, I was mostly concerned if I was damaging the component; thought maybe I was burning the plastic or something absurd like that.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Ha ha, most likely! In this case though, I was mostly concerned if I was damaging the component; thought maybe I was burning the plastic or something absurd like that.

Nope. Is dirt.

If you have a small enough q-tip, u can clean it up with a smitten of WD40.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Thanks for the tip! Tried cleaning it a few times but to no avail... Will give WD40 a try.

Don't use WD40. That will harm the plastic and aluminum. If you must use something, use a very lightly damp cloth (water) or rubbing alcohol.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Just don't push any liquid into the hole or u may make it worse. If ur not comfortable better just to leave it alone.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Thanks for the tip! Tried cleaning it a few times but to no avail... Will give WD40 a try.

I noticed dirt around the USB and MagSafe connectors. Be sure to stand your MBA on the opposite edge, spray them liberally, and your headphone connector, with WD-40, let soak, rinse well with water, then power up the MBA so the heat dries everything.

j/k - some people have WAY TOO much time on their hands and fill it with worry. Sad. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.