Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fonstomhoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2013
First of all, this is my first post here so hey everyone.

I have an iPhone 5 JBed with 6.1.2 and everything has worked fine until now.

For some reason, as the title states, any video I'll try to play online, that would normally work on an iOS device simply won't play. Instead there's only a play button with a line crossing it...

Even when trying to play videos in iFile, the video player will open up, show an error message and then close...

I've tried resetting (home button + power button) but that hasn't fixed the issue. Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to have to restore to vanilla.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
First of all, this is my first post here so hey everyone.

I have an iPhone 5 JBed with 6.1.2 and everything has worked fine until now.

For some reason, as the title states, any video I'll try to play online, that would normally work on an iOS device simply won't play. Instead there's only a play button with a line crossing it...

Even when trying to play videos in iFile, the video player will open up, show an error message and then close...

I've tried resetting (home button + power button) but that hasn't fixed the issue. Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to have to restore to vanilla.

does this include youtube videos via safari and/or the youtube app?

fontsomhoy1

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
boot up your device holding the volume up button, this will essentially disable all your tweaks. see if you are able to play videos now (in youtube or wherever)

youtube works (browser and app), and HTML5 video does as well. locally saved videos that I can confirm are not corrupt still don't play.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
youtube works (browser and app), and HTML5 video does as well. locally saved videos that I can confirm are not corrupt still don't play.

I am confused. In your title, you say locally saved videos work but now you say they don't work?

If you can watch video when booting up in safe mode (holding volume up), then it is a tweak. Uninstall any tweaks you think might be related (and respring after each uninstallation) until the problem is fixed. In that way, you can find out the offending tweak

fontsomhoy1

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
I am confused. In your title, you say locally saved videos work but now you say they don't work?

If you can watch video when booting up in safe mode (holding volume up), then it is a tweak. Uninstall any tweaks you think might be related (and respring after each uninstallation) until the problem is fixed. In that way, you can find out the offending tweak

Sorry for the confusion, when I say locally saved I'm referring to video files that I've manually downloaded off the web.

EDIT: I've scoured through Cydia uninstalling any tweaks I installed after the problem occurred (and respringing) but it hasn't fixed anything

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Sorry for the confusion, when I say locally saved I'm referring to video files that I've manually downloaded off the web.

EDIT: I've scoured through Cydia uninstalling any tweaks I installed after the problem occurred (and respringing) but it hasn't fixed anything

Did uninstalling tweaks help fix being able to watch youtube and html5 videos? What format are these downloaded videos?

fontsomhoy1

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
I'm saying that you haven't uninstalled the offending tweak(s)

Oh OK. Played around to see which tweak was causing the problem and did a restart. videos seem to work well save for in iFile. I'm going to try reinstalling iFile as that may be the issue

EDIT: Aha! I tried moving the video files to a different folder and now they're playable in iFile. Strange.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.