Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darundal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Hey guys so I have done some research and seen that i'm not the only person who is having the problem of having the WIFI bar greyed out in settings. I just wanted to confirm that there is no current solution. I know that there is the hair-dryer method and the freezer method but they are both only temporary solutions. Post any ACTUAL solutions that are permanent.

Michasss8

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Poland
You can't help it without opening it.

The trick with freezer won't even help. It helps only with 3G/3GS where wifi antenna is in the different location.

I'm sorry.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Hey guys so I have done some research and seen that i'm not the only person who is having the problem of having the WIFI bar greyed out in settings. I just wanted to confirm that there is no current solution. I know that there is the hair-dryer method and the freezer method but they are both only temporary solutions. Post any ACTUAL solutions that are permanent.

Contact Apple to look at your options of getting the phone replaced if it's under warranty. The Wifi chip is more than likely dead.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
If the steps don't work here on this page, then you'll need to contact Apple to get it replaced if its still under warranty: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1559

greenwaynegreen

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
I have done about 8 hours research on this problem. Very rarely does anybody talk about the software component of this issue. So frustrating. You can go to the fix at the bottom if you get bored
***The problem. Wifi is Greyed out (Wifi is Grayed out) It will come back on intermittently / at random and then drop out for long periods.
1/ It would seem if I put it in front of a heater, into the freezer it would work for a short period of time. (Thinking it was the chip solder problem)
2/ I found if I turned off WIFI, Cellular data, blue tooth, and put it into air-plane mode (you have to do all these things for the experiment to work and the stack to be rebuilt temporarily) Then fully turn the phone off (power it down) Wait a sec and then turn it back on. Then you can turn your data services back on. If you find that your wifi comes back on temporarily you may very well have a driver service interruption problem. The wifi/blue chip driver will restart ok but another service will start and cause a over flow problem.
***Explanation of how I found the problem
Anyhow I was frustrated that apple did not have a way of sending sms like the Samsung Kies software does. I went to the Apple store and installed quite a few programs that promised this functionality. None of them did.
So I uninstalled them all. A couple of days later when I rebooted my phone after a while the Wifi stopped working and would not connect. I then turned Wifi off and tried to turn it back on but it wouldn't. It just became Greyed out. That is where my problems started. (I didn't realise the 2 issues were related)
***The fix
After reading allot via mr Google I decided to reinstall my system via Itunes. I updated to the latest version of Itunes. (iTunes 11.0.4 for Windows (64-bit)
I did a restore from back up. (no luck (read no fix)
Looked at the update version (it wanted me to update to 6.1.3) (no go as I have read many people do this but the problem comes back after a couple of days to a week - so this possibly was not the solution (wanted to keep it up my sleeve)
******Back the **** up people and make sure the backup works*****
I then Jailbroke my phone via Evasion. Installed Ilux RAT via cydia and used option 12. (please note option 1 will not fix your problem)***Read the instructions*** and it worked. WARNING THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE AND TAKE IT BACK TO VIRGIN JAILBROKEN STATE*** My wifi worked perfectly. I then installed my back up from Itunes to my phone. All is perfect in the world.
***Note, I love my iphone but it felt like a relic from the past in comparison with my wifes new Samsung Galaxy S4. I have realised that JB is the only way to have a usable iphone in the real world with the same functionality as a Android phone. I have since found a program that works perfectly to send and recieve sms from my computers browser. (the same as the Samsung Kies program) (Remote Messages 2 via Cydia) I was going to upgrade to a Iphone 5 or a S4 but I don't need to any more. I have also found AUXO, five icon dock, fullscreen for safari, ifile, ikeywi, Jaku theme, SBsettings, silent photo chill, Tab+, tap to widgets, TorchNC, Velox, WinterBoard and 3dBoard. All these add ons have fixed other bugs and frustrations. Life could not get any better. I am having a ball. I have heard people talk about Jail Break but never advocated it and I still don't, it is just now my personal choice. Apple get your act into gear. You are making millions but falling behind by a long shot. History dictates the winner always favours usability. IOS 7 looks ugly!
***Please don't flame me for this post, If you can find another alternative for fixing the problem for a phone that is out of warranty, then post it or shut up. If you have a problem with this post please be constructive. Please do not reply if you have not actually had this problem yourself. Paying $200 to apple for a well known problem that they are not fixing is not a option. If you don't believe me then spend some time doing your own research first.

Jac831

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2013
Wifi greyed out / won't connect

I updated my iPhone 4S and had nothing but problems. I did a full system restore as that's what apple advised. Didn't work. I went to O2 (my network provider) and they came back with 'if you give us £129 we will replace your phone, it's not repairable' so I argued this as I didn't break it so why should I pay?!

I called Consumer Advice who put me in touch with CAB - I was advised to use one of their letter templates to write and send letter recorded delivery to O2 requesting a new phone under my STATUTORY RIGHTS law. The letter was received in their office on Tuesday, I received an email Wednesday saying 'your new free request for replacement phone is in the post and will be delivered on Tuesday'. RESULT and no arguments or questions. X good luck all - this is the route to take if your PHONE IS LESS THAN 6 years old

greenwaynegreen

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
I would like to do a follow up after WBLP's post.
There seems to be 2 separate issues.
Apple Australia is quick to recognise the problem and does not charge you to replace the phone even if it is outside of warranty like mine was.
No matter what the reason is at the end of the day the chip is defective. Apple knows about this and it is well documented with their support staff.
I was given another phone without question. It had firmware 6.1. After a day the right hand side of the screen died. It stopped responding to touch altogether. Apple replaced this phone as well.
The next phone I was given was perfect. I checked the manufacture date and as unbelievable as it seems the phone was manufactured 3 - 5 days prior to me picking it up from the Apple store. It was a brand new unit.
*****In Australia a dead wifi chip is a well known problem*****
You can fix it for a short time but at the end of the day the wifi chip needs to be re floated or replaced. I have heard a few reasons by Apple support staff.
Kind Regards
Wayne

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.