Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byardparks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
I have pictures coming into my Macbook from:
a. My camera
b. My phone
c. My wife's phone
d. My mother's camera
e. Occasionally my friends camera.

These pictures are often of the same event, but they are downloaded into separate folders. I would like to find a program that (like Picasa} that when I open the program it automatically shows me all of the thumbnails for all my photo's (which are in separate folders} in chronological order . . . date and time.

Does anyone know of such a photo Browers? I like Picasa, but it always sorts only by the last date in each folder and leaves the thumbnails in the folders they are.

I would love it if I could just have a calendar that I could click on Aug. 25, 1999 and all of the pictures taken on that date came up.

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
IView does this (now called Phase One Media Pro) It has a date finder that shows year, month and day and you can select to show all items. When you have any selection you can sort in to any order you want including date.

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
Lightroom will also do this, as well as let you narrow it down to which camera it was shot on, etc.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Aperture and iPhoto both have the calendar interface you describe that will pull up all photos from a given date. You can also see all photos in a chronological scrolling view, regardless of their storage location.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
To use the calendar in iPhoto start at Search at the bottom of iPhoto. Click Search and when the Search box pops up click the little down arrow and select date for the new pop up. When to calendar shows use the 3 arrows at the top to get to any date you want, only days with photos will be active. You can also Scroll when you are in the Library at the top, using Events or Photos by grabbing the knob in the scroll bar, scrolling with a mouse wheel or two finger scrolling won't show the dates, you must grab the knob to scroll. Something else you may find handy with so many cameras being use is to make a Smart Album that will show only the photos taken with each camera or iPhone. Under iPhotos File menu make a new Smart Album with the rule "Camera Model is (select the camera or iPhone), now you can search for dates only that camera took photos by clicking on that Smart Album in the sidebar and then doing your search. Maybe this will help you get started learning how powerful iPhoto is when you get out of the habit of thinking of Folders or Evens to organize photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.