Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0bone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Is it okay for me to post this here? I figured there would be a thread like this already but didn't find one.

I've been buying Mac computers exclusively since I got my first desktop at age 16. Unfortunately for me, my budget is much smaller right now, and I need to find a new computer for under 600, which means I'm going PC.

My previous computer was an Air, and it was basically perfect for me. The only thing I would change is the price and maybe the max resolution/13" screen size. I would have liked a touch screen for the novelty, but I never suffered for lacking one.

Anyway, my priorities for this "Air-like machine" are the following, in order:
Warranty, Temperature, Battery Life, Screen Size

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Wait for the Haswell ultra books or you'll be kicking yourself hard.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
Samsung Chromebook if your needs can be met within Chrome OS. It's similar in size, runs extremely cool and handles the web extremely well. Comes with 100GB Google Drive free for 2 years. Has SSD (32GB) and 2GB RAM.

Not at all a powerhouse and quite possibly not what you're looking for, but if you haven't used one they are quite nice for many purposes if you stick to web, email, word processing, spreadsheets, some image work (not powerful image work like Photoshop) and other things. Offline apps are growing as well.

Just a possibility on the cheap if price is hugely important and you want to live virus free and not revert to Windows (Chrome OS is a Linux distro, but unlike any other distro).

Other than that, Acer's versions of smaller computers in the ultrabook range "look" nice but not sure about quality since Acer does not have a history of high quality machines. I haven't had luck with HP or Dell in recent years, but I also have not used their ultrabooks so take that with a grain of salt.

0bone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Wait for the Haswell ultra books or you'll be kicking yourself hard.
The processor will be released in less than a month, but will there be actual machines using it available from the release date? Or could it take several more months for the manufacturers to come out with laptops using Haswell?

As for the Chromebook machine, I haven't used ChromeOS so I'm not sure how fully featured and capable it is compared to Windows or Ubuntu. A typical day in the life of my laptop involves running a basic programming IDE, a netflix browser window, a regular web browser window with multiple tabs, a Skype chat and of course a Gmail notifier, typically all at the same time. Can a Chromebook handle that?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
The processor will be released in less than a month, but will there be actual machines using it available from the release date? Or could it take several more months for the manufacturers to come out with laptops using Haswell?

As for the Chromebook machine, I haven't used ChromeOS so I'm not sure how fully featured and capable it is compared to Windows or Ubuntu. A typical day in the life of my laptop involves running a basic programming IDE, a netflix browser window, a regular web browser window with multiple tabs, a Skype chat and of course a Gmail notifier, typically all at the same time. Can a Chromebook handle that?

Only thing I'm not sure about is the IDE. Otherwise yes.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

I know apple is definitely releasing soon afterwards. I've heard that samsung and asus are waiting in the shoots. If you can hold off I'd definitely wait.

0bone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
I know apple is definitely releasing soon afterwards. I've heard that samsung and asus are waiting in the shoots. If you can hold off I'd definitely wait.

Will the current gen models be greatly discounted when the new ones are released?

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Why didn't you just keep the MacBook Air?

Having said that, the Lenovo IdeaPad U510 is an option - 15" screen, 1.8GHz i5, 6GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive, 6 hour battery life for $650. As it's 100% Designed and Made in China, it even looks like a MacBook with a number pad. I wonder how many people would suffice larger keys for a number pad, though.
81zlWOiXydL._SL1500_.jpg

Alternatively, if you're a little more patriotic than that, the Dell Inspiron 15z i15z-1200sLV. 1.9GHz i5, 4GB of RAM (you'll want to upgrade that to 8GB or 16GB eventually anyways), 500GB hard drive (and replace that with an SSD as well).
71cLOCKJh6L._SL1500_.jpg

Those 15" Ultrabooks are rather rMBPs minus the retina, minus the MacBook and minus the pro, but really, just get a MacBook Air.
They may look like they'd cost $650, but won't be as snappy as the MacBook Air unless you add 8GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD, and then you're looking at $850-900. A refurb 2012 1.8GHz MacBook Air on the other hand goes for $999.

Last edited:

0bone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Is "Square Trade" the best/only warranty option for a non-Mac computer?

Edit: And does it matter where I buy a computer nowadays? Amazon.com, Best Buy, Staples, NewEgg.com...

Last edited:

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Is "Square Trade" the best/only warranty option for a non-Mac computer?

Edit: And does it matter where I buy a computer nowadays? Amazon.com, Best Buy, Staples, NewEgg.com...

Not really. Amazon has a good return policy, Best Buy is best if you have a Silver card membersip. I would steer clear of NewEgg.com and Staples, thougj, unless their price is unbeatable by a long shot.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Why not try to pick up a 2011 Air or Classic here on the Marketplace or Ebay? I've seen 2012 Pro's go for $800 so I know 2011's will go for $600-650. They have Sandy Bridge which is a little older but remember, OSX runs a lot better than Windows. My ex girlfriend has a 2010 Pro and I upgraded her to 8GB of ram and Mountain Lion and very few people notice the difference between her machine and a 2012 Pro.

0bone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Why not try to pick up a 2011 Air or Classic here on the Marketplace or Ebay? I've seen 2012 Pro's go for $800 so I know 2011's will go for $600-650. They have Sandy Bridge which is a little older but remember, OSX runs a lot better than Windows. My ex girlfriend has a 2010 Pro and I upgraded her to 8GB of ram and Mountain Lion and very few people notice the difference between her machine and a 2012 Pro.

For 600 there's no way they're covered by Applecare. Right? I can't afford to use a computer that is not warranty-covered.

0bone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
I've been giving it a lot of thought, and I really want my new computer to have a touch screen. The initial novelty of a touch screen will distract me from the lack of OS X long enough for me to get the hang of modern Windows. Do you guys have any ultrabook recommendations with touch screens?

I'm willing to wait for Haswell except that I can't find any info about what will be available or when. I'm concerned I could wait a month and discover that they don't have a decent, affordable ultrabook line for several more months. Haswell comes out at the beginning of next month; how long will it take to trickle into my price range?

And are the prices of current models already lower as a result of upcoming Haswell updates?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Why didn't you just keep the MacBook Air?

Having said that, the Lenovo IdeaPad U510 is an option - 15" screen, 1.8GHz i5, 6GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive, 6 hour battery life for $650. As it's 100% Designed and Made in China, it even looks like a MacBook with a number pad. I wonder how many people would suffice larger keys for a number pad, though.
81zlWOiXydL._SL1500_.jpg

Alternatively, if you're a little more patriotic than that, the Dell Inspiron 15z i15z-1200sLV. 1.9GHz i5, 4GB of RAM (you'll want to upgrade that to 8GB or 16GB eventually anyways), 500GB hard drive (and replace that with an SSD as well).
71cLOCKJh6L._SL1500_.jpg

Those 15" Ultrabooks are rather rMBPs minus the retina, minus the MacBook and minus the pro, but really, just get a MacBook Air.
They may look like they'd cost $650, but won't be as snappy as the MacBook Air unless you add 8GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD, and then you're looking at $850-900. A refurb 2012 1.8GHz MacBook Air on the other hand goes for $999.

Not to get into a quasi political discussion. I am just asking to avoid buying from Lenevo. They have been dumping on the market and also are trying to truly destroy competition leaving us with only this Chinese company's offerings.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Not to get into a quasi political discussion. I am just asking to avoid buying from Lenevo. They have been dumping on the market and also are trying to truly destroy competition leaving us with only this Chinese company's offerings.

Buy a MacBook, and don't have those problems. If you want to get something American, get a Dell from Round Rock, Texas, HP from Palo Alto or Mac from Cupertino.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Buy a MacBook, and don't have those problems. If you want to get something American, get a Dell from Round Rock, Texas, HP from Palo Alto or Mac from Cupertino.

While I don't fancy laptops of any sort unless absolutely needed for a job/gig, I would be happy to use a Mac offering. 90 percent of the time whatever the laptop item is, I would end up hooking it up to a real screen and use a real keyboard and (in my case) trackball.

0bone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
http://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-S400...PDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1368393847&sr=1-1

1 year warantee, including accidental coverage, optional extended warantee, 4-5 hour battery life, ULV processor so runs pretty cool, 14", touch, hybrid drive, $590. Just has a bad screen res.

590? Did they raise the price since you posted this or did you find it for that price elsewhere?

The resolution appears to be the same as Macbook Air.

EDIT: Oops, resolution is the same as 11", not 13". Ignore this post.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
590? Did they raise the price since you posted this or did you find it for that price elsewhere?

The resolution appears to be the same as Macbook Air.

EDIT: Oops, resolution is the same as 11", not 13". Ignore this post.

Yes they raised it. I say bad screen since it has the same res as the 11" Air in a 14" body. Other than that, seems like a good comp. for around $600

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.