Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhivago1955

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Oregon
Will this restore CD work on my PB G4 12" 1.5 GHz ? Everything else is functional except the TrackPad. Stuffing a USB mouse in my pocket when ambulatory is uncomfortable.

I bought this PB on ebay and replaced the logic board, but never knew if the trackpad ever worked. I'm assuming the extra hard drive I installed was pre-loaded from another 12" Powerbook I had laying around. Don't want to reboot with the wrong CD recovery disk. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC02750.JPG
    DSC02750.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 123

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Will this restore CD work on my PB G4 12" 1.5 GHz ? Everything else is functional except the TrackPad. Stuffing a USB mouse in my pocket when ambulatory is uncomfortable.

I bought this PB on ebay and replaced the logic board, but never knew if the trackpad ever worked. I'm assuming the extra hard drive I installed was pre-loaded from another 12" Powerbook I had laying around. Don't want to reboot with the wrong CD recovery disk. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Hard to say. Don't believe that's it, though. Yours shipped starting with 10.3.7. Couldn't hurt to try.

SawyerTHEBEST

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2013
Try cleaning the top of it off with a rag, if that doesn't work try taking it apart and seeing if there's any gunk under it

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Make sure the trackpad cable is properly connected to the logicboard. You may want to disconnect and connect it again to make sure it's a good connection.

zhivago1955

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Oregon
Make sure the trackpad cable is properly connected to the logicboard. You may want to disconnect and connect it again to make sure it's a good connection.

I've tried connecting and disconnecting several times. The TrackPad is not listed in the System Preference section. It is clearly missing. However, the TP icon is visible with my other PB G4 1.33 Ghz laptop.

Would Migrant Assistant or Target Mode work ?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I've tried connecting and disconnecting several times. The TrackPad is not listed in the System Preference section. It is clearly missing. However, the TP icon is visible with my other PB G4 1.33 Ghz laptop.

Would Migrant Assistant or Target Mode work ?

I have a 1.33 track pad topcase, let me know if you want it cheap. I'm in SoCal

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
California colleague, Thanks for the offer. I have an extra Trackpad case in a Powerbook G4 867 Ghz i can use as parts. Thanks anyways...

Are you sure the original 867mhz 12" PB trackpad is interchangeable? I know the 1.5ghz 12" trackpad is not; I'm thinking the 1 ghz and the 1.33ghz are the same but hope you are correct about the original 12".

I know its heatsink and layout is slightly different than the later 12" PBs....

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Caught between not wanting to thread-hijack or waste another new thread, but any diagnostic thoughts about another (mine) PBG4 trackpad which works perfectly except for the actual mechanical click button? I've enabled tap to click in SysPrefs but would like to fix the button if possible.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
California colleague, Thanks for the offer. I have an extra Trackpad case in a Powerbook G4 867 Ghz i can use as parts. Thanks anyways...

I misread this thread, I thought you said you had a 1.33ghz 12" PB.

If you have a 1.5ghz 12" Powerbook, the track pad is NOT interchangeable with any other 12" Powerbook.

I have an extra 1.5ghz trackpad if you need it.

The 1.5 is the final version and it came with upgraded "sudden motion sensor" and "scrolling trackpad" that makes its trackpad unique to that model.

zhivago1955

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Oregon
I misread this thread, I thought you said you had a 1.33ghz 12" PB.

If you have a 1.5ghz 12" Powerbook, the track pad is NOT interchangeable with any other 12" Powerbook.

I have an extra 1.5ghz trackpad if you need it.

The 1.5 is the final version and it came with upgraded "sudden motion sensor" and "scrolling trackpad" that makes its trackpad unique to that model.

Yes, I do have all three (867 GHz, 1.33Ghz and 1.5Ghz) G4 12". Thanks for sharing track pads are not interchangeable. I took it for granted they are all similar. What is the protocol for selling and swapping items here? I haven't done this yet...

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Yes, I do have all three (867 GHz, 1.33Ghz and 1.5Ghz) G4 12". Thanks for sharing track pads are not interchangeable. I took it for granted they are all similar. What is the protocol for selling and swapping items here? I haven't done this yet...

You would have to privately PM a member until you have enough time and posts on MR to qualify to see their "Marketplace" thread. Not sure where you are at with the number of your posts. You can tell whether or not you can see the MarketPlace when you sign in. Let me know if you need a trackpad for your 12" PB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.