Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 12, 2013, 09:13 PM   #1
7thson
macrumors 6502

iPad mini 2, spec bump only?

I just had a thought that I wanted to throw out there. It's a foregone conclusion that the iPad mini will get upgraded specs pretty much across the board, but would it be possible to increase the screen resolution without going retina? I am of the opinion that retina will not happen if changes the minis proportions dramatically. Right now the only thing that can pull off retina on a mini is an IGZO display, but there is zero chatter about that, at least to my knowledge. I am wondering if the next mini won't just be a spec bump straight across the whole device, including screen resolution, but not retina. Seems like something Apple would do. What do you think?
7thson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 09:26 PM   #2
TyPod
macrumors 68000

I could definitely see the retina screen not coming in the next revision like so many hope, so I could see what your saying as a possibility!
Old May 12, 2013, 10:11 PM   #3
MetalGearTW
macrumors member

128GB iPad Mini with Retina Display in Black.

i wish.
MetalGearTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 10:35 PM   #4
Cergman
macrumors regular

If Apple can include Retina in most of their mobile products (iPhone, iPod, iPad, rMBPs), then I am not quite sure why they wouldn't be able to put it in the Mini. At least that is what I am hoping for. As soon as the Mini gets Retina, then I would be ready to sell my 3 for it.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:00 AM   #5
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cergman View Post
If Apple can include Retina in most of their mobile products (iPhone, iPod, iPad, rMBPs), then I am not quite sure why they wouldn't be able to put it in the Mini. At least that is what I am hoping for. As soon as the Mini gets Retina, then I would be ready to sell my 3 for it.
In order to get a Retina Mini, you need to squeeze in the amount of pixels on a full-sized iPad into a mini sized screen. That is, a retina mini screen would need to have a much higher DPI than the full size iPad. So it will be technically harder to produce.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 12:04 AM   #6
maxosx
macrumors 68020

It's Apple, anything is possible
maxosx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 12:05 AM   #7
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
i don't see apple changing the resolution of the mini if it doesn't go retina. i can see another year of 1024x768 before going 2048x1536, but i can't see the mini going to something else like 1440x1080. it just doesn't make sense.
Old May 13, 2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

MacBook Pro (retina) MacBook Air (non-retina)
iPad (retina) iPad mini (non-retina)
Old May 13, 2013, 02:19 AM   #9
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
apple's product line is in transition. both the macbook air and ipad mini will get a retina display. the only question is when.
Old May 13, 2013, 04:27 AM   #10
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Well, the difference here is, most of the laptops still are below 1440x900 of Air, whereas almost all of the competing tablets are above 1024x768 of mini.

Moreover, Retina is a bigger deal on the mini, as you hold it much closer and individual pixels are much easier to make out than Air.
Old May 13, 2013, 04:29 AM   #11
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
In order to get a Retina Mini, you need to squeeze in the amount of pixels on a full-sized iPad into a mini sized screen. That is, a retina mini screen would need to have a much higher DPI than the full size iPad. So it will be technically harder to produce.
'Much higher indeed', but not unusually high, it would be the exact same DPI as the iPhone...
TC03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 05:31 AM   #12
3rd Rock
Banned

OP...There have been a number of reported rumors from some sites that deal with Apple products, now and future releases, that have stated Apple is now preparing later this year to release the retina display ipad mini. How true they are is anyones guess, but it will only be a few more months towards Sept/Oct/Nov period and we will all know if it will become a reality, or have to wait until next year.

Do a Google search to read up on these rumors

http://www.bing.com/search?q=rumors+...0-14&sp=-1&sk=
3rd Rock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 07:43 AM   #13
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thson View Post
It's a foregone conclusion that the iPad mini will get upgraded specs pretty much across the board, but would it be possible to increase the screen resolution without going retina?
An increase of resolution IS a spec bump.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:51 AM   #14
MandyAW92
macrumors member

Either Apple won't change the screen res or they will make it Retina. And as screen changes have already been confirmed, i would say that the new Mini will be Retina
MandyAW92 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 08:21 AM   #15
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

Increasing the screen resolution without going to retina would make developers support another resolution for their apps, and there would be even MORE one-star reviews based solely on an app not supporting the latest resolution.
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 08:54 AM   #16
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

It would be harder to market the ipad when the ipad mini begins sporting a higher PPI. I think Apple may went to further differentiate between the 2 (given how so many people are apparently favouring the mini over its larger cousin).

So the ipad with better specs, 32/64/128gb storage and retina display. The ipad mini with last gen's specs, and its key selling point being its light weight and portability. Enough so a consumer has reason to go with either one (or even both).
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 09:32 AM   #17
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
It would be harder to market the ipad when the ipad mini begins sporting a higher PPI. I think Apple may went to further differentiate between the 2 (given how so many people are apparently favouring the mini over its larger cousin)...
Regular people only know Retina, not what the specific PPI of each device is; that's why they simply call it Retina. Apple will market them based on which size screen you want and if you want the most powerful iPad, the full one.

Considering many on here can see the Mini's screen isn't Retina but aren't bothered by it, or can't even see the lower res of the Mini's screen, do you really think people will be bothered that the full Retina iPad's screen isn't as high a ppi as the Retina Mini?

Last edited by darngooddesign; May 13, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 10:21 AM   #18
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Considering many on here can see the Mini's screen isn't Retina but aren't bothered by it, or can't even see the lower res of the Mini's screen...
This.

The conclusion must be a spec bump and a price cut. Retina will come, but not this time round.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:43 AM   #19
navra233
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
It's Apple, anything is possible
being agree with your words, I will say Apple iPad mini 2 may have much more features than we can imagine here. If still there is a person in Apple who can even follow innovative ideas of Steve Jobs.
navra233 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 11:39 PM   #20
WilliamDu
macrumors member

Read the mail

Please check the Macrumors title page and you will see the following:

Mass Production of Retina Displays for iPad Mini Expected to Start in June or July

Tuesday May 7, 2013 6:32 am PDT by Eric Slivka

More detail on the story.

Saves lots of time to keep up with the news.
WilliamDu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:19 AM   #21
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Rock View Post
OP...There have been a number of reported rumors from some sites that deal with Apple products, now and future releases, that have stated Apple is now preparing later this year to release the retina display ipad mini. How true they are is anyones guess, but it will only be a few more months towards Sept/Oct/Nov period and we will all know if it will become a reality, or have to wait until next year.

Do a Google search to read up on these rumors

http://www.bing.com/search?q=rumors+...0-14&sp=-1&sk=
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamDu View Post

Mass Production of Retina Displays for iPad Mini Expected to Start in June or July

This isn't news fellas. This is analyst chatter and guesses from folks in different manufacturing industries that may or may not be in production with future Apple products and pieces/parts specific to different Apple devices. It's speculation. Nothing more. Nothing less. It's definitely NOT news. We are on a 'rumors' site and its the way of MR to report these different stories, guesses, theories and 'ideas' that tech pundits across the globe come up with.

Don't mistake that for fact or make purchasing decisions based on these 'stories'.

IMHO, I think we are still 18 months away from the same form factor mini (maintaining the same size and weight...as well as battery life) that would include a retina display. I can see the 2013 model including an A6 processor and a GB of RAM. As well, storage updates...32/64/128. Maybe even new IPS progressive technology to 'better' the current display albeit at the same resolution. I look forward to a retina mini. But not at the expense of its already svelte form factor

J
akdj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:35 AM   #22
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

If they do they should push the full size iPad up to a 326dpi and make that retina standard across the iDevice range.
Old May 14, 2013, 01:17 AM   #23
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamDu View Post

Please check the difference between news and speculation.
Old May 14, 2013, 06:05 AM   #24
osofast240sx
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thson View Post
I just had a thought that I wanted to throw out there. It's a foregone conclusion that the iPad mini will get upgraded specs pretty much across the board, but would it be possible to increase the screen resolution without going retina? I am of the opinion that retina will not happen if changes the minis proportions dramatically. Right now the only thing that can pull off retina on a mini is an IGZO display, but there is zero chatter about that, at least to my knowledge. I am wondering if the next mini won't just be a spec bump straight across the whole device, including screen resolution, but not retina. Seems like something Apple would do. What do you think?
Displaymate.com is a good source for display chatter.
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 07:11 AM   #25
Internaut
macrumors 6502a

Hmmm.... As much as I'd like to see a retina iPad Mini, I do agree with some of the sentiments expressed here. I suspect we might see a spec bumped iPad Mini at current or lower prices followed by a more premium device (but don't expect that to come in at current prices).

The reason for a spec bump? Perhaps one of more features of iOS 7 need a bit more oomph than the shrunken innards of an iPad 2?
Internaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad