Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old May 13, 2013, 01:52 AM   #1
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

A thought on "Flat" Design

I was watching a Chrome commercial yesterday and noticed how "Flat" their logo is. I remembered the old logo was more 3D-like and the new logo is very "Flat"

I think we will see something similar with the icons in iOS 7... just my two-cents.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Napkin 05-12-13 11.51.02 PM.png
Views:	202
Size:	501.1 KB
ID:	411989
gmanist1000 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 02:14 AM   #2
allthatjazz
macrumors regular

This has been speculated and discussed to death...
allthatjazz is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 06:16 AM   #3
isarat
macrumors newbie

Too much hype on Flat design

I feel the rumor mills are in a real-bad state. I am sure, there's something coming with iOS7 and could be more towards a UX change with iOS. True or not, but almost everyone behind a flat-design rumors.

What people miss talking about are

- What it takes for a new UX for iOS?
- What about widgets, better notifications and other interactive components to streamline the user experience?
- What else other than flat?

iOS users never demanded for a flat UI, rather they're asking for a change but that doesn't mean that Apple has to pull an Android or WP. We need to hear some sensible rumors on this.

Apple is skeuomorphic design champion which helped to shape their products for all these years. THe culture and the taste they brought in wll not be easily trashed just for the sake of bringing in a flat UI. May be another new culture from Apple but I am sure they won't be ready to leave the taste.

Now take the flat thing for granted. What else?
isarat is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 07:46 AM   #4
perspectivebass
macrumors newbie

I'm getting pretty tiered of Flat VS Skeumorphism...

Flat design is not an approach nor a "style". Its a trend, and with every design trend it dies and gets a place in the pocket of great designer.

Design is about thinking of solutions for a problem. If "flat" design is the solution then use flat design, If skeumorphism is the best solution use Skeumorphism. Fact is that everything has skeumorphism. it starts with the terms like web PAGES it isn't a real page so the its referring to a real life example so only the term is already skeumorphism. The same counts for buttons the button isn't necessary for the function, but we do it to make things clearer and make people understand how it should be used.

So to ay skeumorphism is bad just doesn't make sense. So get over it embrace the fact there will always be skeumorphism and that flat design isn't the solution for iOS.
perspectivebass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 07:55 AM   #5
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

I wouldn't mind icons like this...

Don't think it will happen though as it would mean devs would need to change their icons for a more consistent look.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspectivebass View Post
I'm getting pretty tiered of Flat VS Skeumorphism...

Flat design is not an approach nor a "style". Its a trend, and with every design trend it dies and gets a place in the pocket of great designer.

Design is about thinking of solutions for a problem. If "flat" design is the solution then use flat design, If skeumorphism is the best solution use Skeumorphism. Fact is that everything has skeumorphism. it starts with the terms like web PAGES it isn't a real page so the its referring to a real life example so only the term is already skeumorphism. The same counts for buttons the button isn't necessary for the function, but we do it to make things clearer and make people understand how it should be used.

So to ay skeumorphism is bad just doesn't make sense. So get over it embrace the fact there will always be skeumorphism and that flat design isn't the solution for iOS.
It isn't about flat vs skeuomorphism, it's about ugly vs not ugly. And a lot of iOS is ugly right now. Some of that is attributable to skeuomorphism on steroids. Most likely that will get toned down or removed in iOS 7. Who knows maybe Apple will create a new trend that has the right mix of flat vs non flat; will take the best of what iOS has and the best from Windows and Android.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:05 AM   #7
watchthisspace
macrumors 6502a

If 'flat' means a more uniform design then great. It's one thing I think Windows Phone nails quite well. Skeumorphism can take it's place in history now.

2 cents.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:12 AM   #8
watchthisspace
macrumors 6502a

Scott Forstall and Steve Jobs loved Skeumorphism, but since neither are at Apple anymore and with Jony Ive taking control of human interface design for iOS, we will start to see his influences. Whether it is a flat design, or something completely different, time will tell.

But if Apple's history is to go by, these changes are more than likely to be subtle and on going. Or to the least, not like Windows 7 to Windows 8.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:19 AM   #9
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Why does everyone think that flat = metro? I sure that what they mean by flat is just the removal of skeuomorphic design elements with a slight new design language (think the current App store and music apps). iOS features dont usually get leaked, the only feature i think that got leaked from iOS is maps for iOS 6. I highly doubt there will be widgets but im sure there will be new feature that are similar.
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 09:34 AM   #10
Prototypical
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post

Don't think it will happen though as it would mean devs would need to change their icons for a more consistent look.
I don't see why not; developers all had to transition to revised dimensions of the iPhone 5. It wouldn't be a dramatic shift to flatten their icon (if not the entire app). At some point, peer pressure would force most of the big-name app developers to follow Apple's lead (nobody wants to be the last hold-out on shiny/bubbly styling).
Prototypical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 10:17 AM   #11
randomdude
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
It isn't about flat vs skeuomorphism, it's about ugly vs not ugly. And a lot of iOS is ugly right now. Some of that is attributable to skeuomorphism on steroids. Most likely that will get toned down or removed in iOS 7. Who knows maybe Apple will create a new trend that has the right mix of flat vs non flat; will take the best of what iOS has and the best from Windows and Android.
It's true. If you only had stock apps it would be fine, but some developers go overboard on their icons which really makes your screen look terrible. Also, some people just tend to use really tacky/****** wallpapers, which makes things worse as well.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:19 AM   #12
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:

That's exactly along the route that I was thinking. Thanks for posting those!
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 12:34 PM   #13
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

The lack of good design in iOS (and especially Apple apps) has nothing to do with the icons or skeumorphism. You can change the Apple Weather app icon all you want but the app design is still terrible. Hopefully iOS 7 is going to bring a more functional design regardless of what textures are being used.
bozzykid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 12:39 PM   #14
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
Why does everyone think that flat = metro? I sure that what they mean by flat is just the removal of skeuomorphic design elements with a slight new design language (think the current App store and music apps). iOS features dont usually get leaked, the only feature i think that got leaked from iOS is maps for iOS 6. I highly doubt there will be widgets but im sure there will be new feature that are similar.
Some reports have used the words "Windows Phone" or "Metro" in their article title. It's not surprising that people are making the comparisons.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 02:10 PM   #15
ASKendrew
macrumors regular

Quote:

Would love to see a full refresh of all the stock iOS icons in this sort of style. Would look so much better in my opinion!
Old May 13, 2013, 05:41 PM   #16
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASKendrew View Post
Would love to see a full refresh of all the stock iOS icons in this sort of style. Would look so much better in my opinion!
Follow the icons up with the same type of interface inside the apps, I would be impressed.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 05:47 PM   #17
jafingi
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Actually, I think Apple could just remove the gloss from the icon they put on. Most developers uploads a "flat" icon, and lets Apple do the gloss (unless they mark the icon as precomposed - and the ones who does that, usually have a precomposed FLAT icon - like Facebook, Google Maps etc.).

So I don't think it would be THAT bad.

Looking so much forward to Ive's iOS.... IveOS
Old May 13, 2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

i hope iOS 7 its not flat and dull like people have been speculating. that would look ugly,dull and boring!
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 09:19 PM   #19
johndallas999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
I was watching a Chrome commercial yesterday and noticed how "Flat" their logo is. I remembered the old logo was more 3D-like and the new logo is very "Flat"

I think we will see something similar with the icons in iOS 7... just my two-cents.

Uh...yeah, that's kinda what has been said about 100000000 times already.
johndallas999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 09:32 PM   #20
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallas999 View Post
Uh...yeah, that's kinda what has been said about 100000000 times already.
Really? Thanks for reminding me.
gmanist1000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 09:45 PM   #21
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
@ the comment about web "pages", websites tend to be very fluid these days, I doubt the page thing applies anymore.

I do prefer the static navigation to the javascript mess that we're getting these days though.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 PM   #22
whocaresit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That is dreadfully hideous.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:31 PM   #23
.Asa
macrumors regular

I don't like the leather and wood textures in iOS, but I do like the shiny bubbly stuff. I would hate to see it go.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:43 AM   #24
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Gee, thanks for yet another thread.

As said before, most dev's already have flat designs. It's Apple who is behind the design curve, and none of their apps have a cohesive feel to them.
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 12:44 PM   #25
shadowlawless
macrumors newbie

Flat design =

Am i the only one thinking that "flat design" might mean

Remove all colour and shading
remove features that people really liked
replace with "IOS Mission control"
make very little effort to innovate or actually make some new applications.

Naturally i could be wrong but been real p****d off with apple lately, they used to be ahead of the game. there last few updates (thats including OS x) have either been boring or actually bad.

p.s.

if your wondering what i mean

Apple Maps, expose, spaces, save/duplicate, full screen apps disabling your other monitor, heavily advertised features only available in very newest MacBooks and bugs bugs bugs

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
The lack of good design in iOS (and especially Apple apps) has nothing to do with the icons or skeumorphism. You can change the Apple Weather app icon all you want but the app design is still terrible. Hopefully iOS 7 is going to bring a more functional design regardless of what textures are being used.
was wondering when someone was gonna point this out
shadowlawless is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7