Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft founder Bill Gates was interviewed by Charlie Rose on this week's edition of the long-running television news program 60 Minutes, and part of the interview focused on Gates' relationship with Steve Jobs, including a few details of their final conversation before Jobs passed away in 2011.

jobs_gates_60_minutes.jpg
Gates grew emotional as he recalled visiting Jobs just before his death. The billionaire welled up as he described their last conversation, which he described as "forward-looking."

"He showed me the boat he was working on," said Gates, "and talked about how he's looking forward to being on it, even though we both knew there was a good chance that wouldn't happen."
Embedded above is a "60 Minutes Overtime" follow-up interview of Charlie Rose talking about Gates and Jobs, interspersed with Jobs-related clips from the Gates interview. The full segment of Rose interviewing Gates is also available.

Article Link: An Emotional Bill Gates Talks About Steve Jobs on '60 Minutes'

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
The story about Jobs turning down a dinner with Gates is classic.

The full 60 Minutes interview is really interesting. Gates seems far more energized now than he ever seemed to be at Microsoft, and I have great admiration for what he's doing.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I like Bill Gates (and Steve Jobs too). I think Bill is a class act, humble respectable and genuine. That was a nice interview.

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
That was great!

I really enjoyed that! I like the new Bill Gates a lot better than I used to. I felt like that brought a sense to their personalities and friendship that I haven't seen very much of in the past.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
This is hilarious. They are interviewing the interviewer about someone else he interviewed.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I wish you nothing but the best Bill, I hope you have the most amazing and productive years of your life ahead of you, the world needs more like you.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Gates seems far more energized now than he ever seemed to be at Microsoft, and I have great admiration for what he's doing.

Totally agree - even in those clips he seems more alive than he did. The footage from old interviews makes for a fascinating contrast with the modern interview. Great what he is doing. Great example for others also.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Each time I see Steve speaking/presenting, I understand just what a presence he was at Apple, and for the brand in general.

Steve and Bill were there from the beginning, and I'm glad they got a chance at D to speak together.

For those here that have never read "Fire In The Valley," I would urge you to get to Amazon and get a copy. That was the first book I read on the PC revolution, what a great book that was.

Apple will always be a bite short of pristine now that Steve is gone.

Bryan

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I like Bill Gates (and Steve Jobs too). I think Bill is a class act, humble respectable and genuine. That was a nice interview.

I agree completely, it's nice to see that he's being perceived that way now. His interviews are a total pleasure to watch these days.

Now if only someone could transform Steve Ballmer in a similar way... but that's impossible :D .

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I really enjoyed that! I like the new Bill Gates a lot better than I used to. I felt like that brought a sense to their personalities and friendship that I haven't seen very much of in the past.

Well, now that Bill no longer helms MS and has devoted his life to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, he can be more circumspect than 25-30 years ago when the two were in the thick of it, and growing their respective empires.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.