Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 13, 2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Bonte
macrumors 6502a

Help, how to uninstall BING search (DIVX player malware)

I installed the latest update for DIVX player and i got malware with it, now i have de Bing search engine in Chrome and Firefox but can't uninstall it. Not a toolbar, just de search engine every time i open up a new tab. Very frustrating.

I uninstalled de DIVX player, changed settings, removed the DIVX plugin and searched for conduit in the system but nothing works.

It is installed via http://search.conduit.com/ and a real pain in the butt.

I work on the latest OS with the latest browser software, please help?
Old May 13, 2013, 05:04 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

Did you try Google Chrome's Preferences yet, as you can set Bing as search engine there?

And you have not installed any malware, Divx Player, if from Divx.com is malware free.

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Bonte
macrumors 6502a

Hi, tx for helping.

I did manage to get it removed from Chrome, it was a extension toolbar i didn't see at first, strange. Safari is also ok, so now its only Firefox where i can't find a plugin to remove.

Its the DIVX player i had on my computer and it installed an update, the bing search engine was a selected option so not a real virus but more like crapware.
Old May 13, 2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Bonte
macrumors 6502a

i think i found it, in the left corner there is a contact-button and if i click that i get the help page with information to uninstall it.

To remove the firefox new-tab-page i also had to click "restore" in the left corner in the BING-conduit page, that restored the new-tab settings. I think its ok now, i hope so.

Man, those *******s, the result is i deleted DIVX and all Bing search engines on all my browsers, i don't understand how stupid these people can be.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:19 AM   #5
yokerbloke
macrumors member

I almost installed that Bing crap when I installed DivX. i caught it before I clicked next. I HATE when they think another search engine/virus checker is needed on your system!

Reminds me of a youtube video I saw where this guy had about 9 search toolbars in IE lol. Took up about 1/3 of his viewing area!!!
yokerbloke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Bonte
macrumors 6502a

I didn't expect crapware in an update, it only stated that it wanted to use Bing for search via Conduit. I thought this was the search function in the DivX-app, not that it would hijack all my browsers.
Old May 15, 2013, 05:52 PM   #7
verificationist
macrumors newbie

Extensions

I did the same thing.

My solution was to go into extensions. Once there, I found that a Bing Conduit extension had been added. Just delete the extension and you'll be off and running again. (Unless there's something hidden, I think we'll be okay.)
verificationist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 01:39 AM   #8
Bonte
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by verificationist View Post
I did the same thing.

My solution was to go into extensions. Once there, I found that a Bing Conduit extension had been added. Just delete the extension and you'll be off and running again. (Unless there's something hidden, I think we'll be okay.)
It was easily uninstalled on Safari, i had to delete 2 extensions in Chrome because changing the startup page didn't help but in Firefox i also had to reset the new-tab settings. Its beyond me wat MS and DivX are thinking, every time i see Bing from now on i'll think of hard to uninstall crapware. Well done MS!
Old May 18, 2013, 12:53 AM   #9
digerati-master
macrumors newbie

Removing Bing from Chrome

Go to the top right corner you should see 3 lines above Other Bookmarks
Click on that customize and control Google Chrome go to settings and then extensions uncheck conduit or just delete it and you are done Bing should be gone now!
digerati-master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:27 AM   #10
bbutterfly
macrumors newbie

I am still confused :S

I dled BING the same way and I managed to get rid of it on safari but firefox, it won't stop coming up when I open a new tab. I really tried reading the above comments but I am still very very confused!

If anyways can give me a step by step I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
bbutterfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:09 AM   #11
Bonte
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbutterfly View Post
I dled BING the same way and I managed to get rid of it on safari but firefox, it won't stop coming up when I open a new tab. I really tried reading the above comments but I am still very very confused!

If anyways can give me a step by step I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
If i remember correctly, on the crap Bing search page there is a link in the left bottom to a help-page that explains it. There should be a link in the left bottom that resets the tab-cach in Firefox.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 09:17 AM   #12
ilios
macrumors newbie

Had same issue, on Chrome and Firefox - new tab opened conduit.com page

Chrome was easy... but Firefox, another story - thank you guys, you rock!
Just went to the conduit page, left bottom corner and clicked on Restore - it did it!
ilios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2013, 02:33 PM   #13
old-wiz
macrumors 604

I suspect app developers like the DIVX people have an agreement with Microsoft to sneak the BING search in and then they get paid for it.

I think this raises them to the level of malware, but they don't seem to realize that many people will stop using their stuff.

Of course lots of people won't even notice.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store