Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tadd5181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
I have photos on my iMac (OS X 10.6.8), which are 8MP. I added them to the iMac via my camera's memory card, and have them on my desktop as icons.

I want to send them via email to a friend. When I attached them to an email (roadrunner), that program reduced the size from 8 mp to 5 kb. Roadrunner told me I can't get around the reduction using their email.

So, can I email the photos at the size of 8 mp (or even slightly reduced using iPhoto) so that the pictures are not reduced to 5 kb?

thanks for any help

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
If you use Mail, attach them to an email and you'll get the option to make them slightly smaller.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
I have photos on my iMac (OS X 10.6.8), which are 8MP. I added them to the iMac via my camera's memory card, and have them on my desktop as icons.

I want to send them via email to a friend. When I attached them to an email (roadrunner), that program reduced the size from 8 mp to 5 kb. Roadrunner told me I can't get around the reduction using their email.

So, can I email the photos at the size of 8 mp (or even slightly reduced using iPhoto) so that the pictures are not reduced to 5 kb?

Hi Tadd - you might want to 'synchronize' your figure size, i.e. what is the size of your 8 MP images? And I cannot believe 5 Kb (that is much smaller than an avatar's size) - really confused here w/ your numbers.

Now, I use Yahoo Mail & also have Road Runner @ home and often send multiple MB attachments w/o a problem; I also upload a lot of images to SmugMug, my online image web site (costs me an annual fee but there are 'free' ones).

You can always 'down size' your images but still have acceptable quality - but first, please clarify the numbers that I question above - :)

tadd5181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
I do use mail but my mail is roadrunner (Time Warner), and it is road runner which makes the reduction in size. So what else can I do?

tadd5181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
OOOOPS...I was mistaken about the email size. it is 5 mb, not 5 kb. Sorry, but the "get info on the shots" shows the dimension at 4320x3240

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
OOOOPS...I was mistaken about the email size. it is 5 mb, not 5 kb. Sorry, but the "get info on the shots" shows the dimension at 4320x3240

OK - now the truth comes out! :rolleyes: :D

A 5 MB image is pretty good - do you want your friend to simply view the pics sent or do you need them to be the maximum size to make a print (a 5 MB pic would actually make a fine 5x7" or even an acceptable 8x10" print)?

If you simply want your friend to 'see' the pics, then you can do a JPEG reduction to well under 1 MB - so, please let us know what your goals are in this endeavor? Dave :)

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

thanks for any help

I create a shared dropbox account with friends... and then drop them in the shared folder.

/Jim

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I do use mail but my mail is roadrunner (Time Warner), and it is road runner which makes the reduction in size. So what else can I do?

The Apple application called Mail. You can choose the size of your attachments in this application.

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC

My recommendation is to stop emailing the photo, and instead sign up for either a free or paid photo sharing website. I initially started out with a Flickr free account, moved to a Flickr paid account, and have since switched to SmugMug Pro account. What you do with these accounts is upload your pictures to their website, and then send your friend the *link* to your pictures -- that way they can view it at the full image quality, and if more than 1 friend wants to see it, you only had to upload it once.

All the photo sharing sites have levels of security, so you can share as it all or limit what people can see. On my SmugMug account I even set up a section so that OTHER people could upload picture... I did that so when my niece got married, all of the bride and grooms friends and family could upload their pictures. These are often much more intimate than the pro wedding photographer photos. I like SmugMug, but there are lot's of alternatives, like SnapFish, Flickr, Kodak, etc.

Here's a link I found to a review of the various free and/or pay photo sharing sites:
http://www.babble.com/babble-voices...03/06/7-top-photo-sharing-websites/#1-smugmug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.