Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackduck15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
So, my MacBook Pro 15" has been running slow lately with the wheel spinning at random times. I've owned it for about 3 years and lately I've been pushing it a little hard with Uni work - multiple preview and word documents open, iTunes and chrome open, nothing I thought a normal mac couldn't take.

However I was on Skype this evening and the pages started flashing, flickering and kind of overlapping each other. This happened for about 60 seconds until the screen was a mess. I decided to turn it off manually, and since then I've not been able to turn it back on. It appears to be charging fine and all the lights on the side show up.

Can anyone give me any pointers and if a repair is necessary how much I am expected to pay for it?

Many thanks.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
It sounds like you have a overheated graphics chip that needs reballing, do not bother reflowing as it is a temporary solution. Basically its a dry solder joints through overheating.

Reballing is where the GPU is removed and both the board and GPU are cleaned before being reballed with new solder thus fixing it to the motherboard.

So, my MacBook Pro 15" has been running slow lately with the wheel spinning at random times. I've owned it for about 3 years and lately I've been pushing it a little hard with Uni work - multiple preview and word documents open, iTunes and chrome open, nothing I thought a normal mac couldn't take.

However I was on Skype this evening and the pages started flashing, flickering and kind of overlapping each other. This happened for about 60 seconds until the screen was a mess. I decided to turn it off manually, and since then I've not been able to turn it back on. It appears to be charging fine and all the lights on the side show up.

Can anyone give me any pointers and if a repair is necessary how much I am expected to pay for it?

Many thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.