Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I was just reading about this somewhere. Apparently, in order to pull this off, you need quite the SD card setup.

Such a cool advancement though.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I was just reading about this somewhere. Apparently, in order to pull this off, you need quite the SD card setup.

Videographers are celebrating the news, because now with a 5D Mark III camera they can create movies that normally require very expensive cameras.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
Just bought a 32GB Lexar UDMA CF card to try this out ($140!). I'll A/B it with a C100 and external recorder when I get the chance.

Just shot B camera with the C100 and an Alexa -- surprisingly close! If the Mark III can approach C100 levels it's in the "as good as it needs to be for any reasonable purposes" league (and it certainly wasn't before).

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Too bad it's not for the 7D :(

You still can use ML for doing other things with the 7D, including HDR, photo stacking, and several other features. If you take macro shots, the photo-stacking feature is amazing, and so the way it renders HDR photos in camera.

I would like to install it on my 5D II using a Mac, but I haven't had the guts to do it because according to the installation instructions I have seen, one is supposed to drag all the ML files to the SD card. The problem is that once ML has unzipped, it shows folders with data files inside these folders, not just a list of files. I have no idea if I could just drag the main ML folder to the card.

Last edited:

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I'm pretty sure that will work. I think that's how I did it on my camera.

Even if your camera doesn't have raw video ML has some great features. For me, focus peaking (adds flashy colours to what is in focus in liveview, great for video). and the built in intervalometer are stand outs.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
You still can use ML for doing other things with the 7D, including HRD, photo stacking, and several other features. If you take macro shots, the photo-stacking feature is amazing, and so the way it renders HDR photos in camera.

I would like to install it on my 5D II using a Mac, but I haven't had the guts to do it because according to the installation instructions I have seen, one is supposed to drag all the ML files to the SD card. The problem is that once ML has unzipped, it shows folders with data files inside these folders, not just a list of files. I have no idea if I could just drag the main ML folder to the card.

Sadly the only reason I would install ML would be for the Raw video.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Sadly the only reason I would install ML would be for the Raw video.

Photo Stacking is quite a good feature for macro photography. Other things that may be useful (pick and choose) are as follows:

a. Continuous Display of Focus distance
b. Auto adjust of Kelvin White Balance and Green/Magenta shift.
c. Intervalometer
d. Sound Detection shutter actuation
d. Spot meter
e. CMOS temperature
f. Trap Focus (focuses when the subject steps into a predetermined area)
g. Level Indicator (this one is for the 60D)
i. Quick Zoom
j. Shutter Count (tells you shooter actuations)
k. Motion Detection shutter actuation
l. Battery remaining power in percentages
m. HRD, and several video features

----------

I'm pretty sure that will work. I think that's how I did it on my camera.

Even if your camera doesn't have raw video ML has some great features. For me, focus peaking (adds flashy colours to what is in focus in liveview, great for video). and the built in intervalometer are stand outs.

Will use the camera for a few more weeks, and then install ML.

Thanks

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA

Nah... it only requires a fast 90MB/s+ CF card.

I was very happy about seeing this. We frequently shoot on RED, but having another RAW alternative for smaller projects will be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.