Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14, 2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Yellow tint on edge disappears?

I've heard the yellow tint on the edge of some new ipad displays disappear over time. Is this true?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 08:12 AM   #2
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
I've heard the yellow tint on the edge of some new ipad displays disappear over time. Is this true?
Relax, its just the adhesive they use. It dries up and disappears in a few days.
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 09:17 AM   #3
klover
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
No, it doesn't.

This adhesive/glue theory has been circulating for years despite the fact that it's untrue. The bonding of the digitizer and glass is completely seperate from the display which sits a few milimeters below and is seperated by air. The yellow/pink/green tint issues are a result of the color filter on the IPS display which impacts the iPad like countless other IPS displays from other manufacturers.

It won't get better. Return and replace.
klover is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
No, it doesn't.

This adhesive/glue theory has been circulating for years despite the fact that it's untrue. The bonding of the digitizer and glass is completely seperate from the display which sits a few milimeters below and is seperated by air. The yellow/pink/green tint issues are a result of the color filter on the IPS display which impacts the iPad like countless other IPS displays from other manufacturers.

It won't get better. Return and replace.
Are you sure? Because I've seen quite a lot of iPads with this yellowing.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Can anyone on this forum claim that they started with a yellow tint on part of their ipad display which disappeared over time?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:00 PM   #6
klover
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Are you sure? Because I've seen quite a lot of iPads with this yellowing.
I'm positive. And I'm not disputing the yellowing issue because I've opened dozens of ipads (1,2,3,4 gen), iphones, ipad minis, and rMBP that had this notorious IPS yellow tint.

The other thing each of those devices had in common was the yellow did not improve even slightly over weeks, months, years.

This issue is directly related to color filters and polarizers. But I'm sure plenty of Apple reps have told customers to wait a few weeks...you know, until the 14-day return window has closed.
klover is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Can anyone on this forum claim that they started with a yellow tint on part of their ipad display which disappeared over time?
I can confirm the opposite! The tint does not fade away, its a bad screen, you should get it exchanged, as I did, for one that does not have the yellow tint. It appears on all iPad models and whether your particular model has it is the luck of the draw. My replacement is all white. I have seen yellow tinting on many iPads since the first one. It is not a glue issue as the screen is not laminated like the iPhone 4 and upwards. Go to an Apple store and have it exchanged if it bothers you.
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 06:53 PM   #8
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Obviously if the tint is really bad and doesnt go away its an issue. However in many cases around here its a case of the OCD heebie jeebies! My iPad 4 has the SLIGHTEST tint on a corner and is barely barely noticeable. Im a designer and deal with color every day. Sometimes it will keep you more sane to just let it be if its that minor.

A pic would be helpful to see too OP!
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 05:29 AM   #9
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Can backlight bleeds cause yellow tinting on white backgrounds?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 05:33 AM   #10
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb098 View Post
Obviously if the tint is really bad and doesnt go away its an issue. However in many cases around here its a case of the OCD heebie jeebies! My iPad 4 has the SLIGHTEST tint on a corner and is barely barely noticeable. Im a designer and deal with color every day. Sometimes it will keep you more sane to just let it be if its that minor.

A pic would be helpful to see too OP!
This is actually a picture of my last one which I had replaced for the same reason. The replacement has a similar yellow tint to the left of the screen when held in portrait. I've also noticed there's some backlight bleeding there so I don't know if that's what's causing this or if that's just a coincidence. I'm trying to decide whether I'm being too OCD or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	412316  
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:22 AM   #11
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
This is actually a picture of my last one which I had replaced for the same reason. The replacement has a similar yellow tint to the left of the screen when held in portrait. I've also noticed there's some backlight bleeding there so I don't know if that's what's causing this or if that's just a coincidence. I'm trying to decide whether I'm being too OCD or not.
Can you attach a non blurry picture?
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb098 View Post
Can you attach a non blurry picture?
This is on auto brightness in daylight. You can see the yellow tint all down the left hand side, particularly towards the top of the left hand side. It's visible on both a white and black background. It looks worse at night when the ambient lighting is dimmer. I notice this during normal use which is what annoys me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	412345  

Last edited by Samtb; May 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 10:07 PM   #13
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
This is on auto brightness in daylight. You can see the yellow tint all down the left hand side, particularly towards the top of the left hand side. It's visible on both a white and black background. It looks worse at night when the ambient lighting is dimmer. I notice this during normal use which is what annoys me.
Much better image! Now that I can see it I had a similar problem with my iPad 2. Was it annoying, yes. But not enough to exchange it though I did anyway because of screen burn-in (very very annoying). Its up to you. Personally it doesn't look that bad to me. Maybe a tad OCD because overall it looks pretty good. Just be prepared to get a screen with something else wrong like dead pixels or something. But who know maybe you will get one with nothing wrong.

There are so many threads with people going back 40 or more times to get a perfect screen. Just dont fall into that trap.
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 11:10 PM   #14
bevsb2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
It took 4 tries for me to get a good screen on my iPad 4. The first 3 had yellow tints, but the 4th is perfect. The screen is a warm white but there is no yellow anywhere. I would exchange your iPad and try for a better screen.
bevsb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 06:40 AM   #15
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb098 View Post
Much better image! Now that I can see it I had a similar problem with my iPad 2. Was it annoying, yes. But not enough to exchange it though I did anyway because of screen burn-in (very very annoying). Its up to you. Personally it doesn't look that bad to me. Maybe a tad OCD because overall it looks pretty good. Just be prepared to get a screen with something else wrong like dead pixels or something. But who know maybe you will get one with nothing wrong.

There are so many threads with people going back 40 or more times to get a perfect screen. Just dont fall into that trap.
So are there more iPads with defects than iPads without defects? Most display iPads in store don't seem to have issues.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 10:13 AM   #16
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
So are there more iPads with defects than iPads without defects? Most display iPads in store don't seem to have issues.
No not really, plus it depends on what you consider a defect. Some of these "problems" are well within spec for Apple. No 2 screens are always alike. Plus Apple uses LG and Sharp(I think). They used to use Samsung as well. A lot of this is simply a matter of perspective.
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb098 View Post
No not really, plus it depends on what you consider a defect. Some of these "problems" are well within spec for Apple. No 2 screens are always alike. Plus Apple uses LG and Sharp(I think). They used to use Samsung as well. A lot of this is simply a matter of perspective.
I thought all ipad 4 screens are LG or Samsung. So yellow tints, image retention etc are all within spec?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 03:55 PM   #18
klover
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
I thought all ipad 4 screens are LG or Samsung. So yellow tints, image retention etc are all within spec?
iPad 3 used LG and Samsung panels; iPad 4 uses LG exclusively.
IR is considered an in-spec issue by Apple (as evidenced by the rMBP response) but YMMV at the Genius counter.

I swapped 3 iPad 4s before I found an all-white, evenly lit display.
klover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 05:38 PM   #19
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
iPad 3 used LG and Samsung panels; iPad 4 uses LG exclusively.
IR is considered an in-spec issue by Apple (as evidenced by the rMBP response) but YMMV at the Genius counter.

I swapped 3 iPad 4s before I found an all-white, evenly lit display.
Whats your definition of "all-white, evenly lit"?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 10:27 AM   #20
klover
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Whats your definition of "all-white, evenly lit"?
No visible color tint on screen, no dark corners/edges.
klover is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 08:55 PM   #21
syd430
Guest
 
There are zero that are perfectly even. Some are worse than others. I went through many 3's and 4's a while back for various reasons. I know that there are indeed some that have an uneven tint that you just never get used to no matter how much you try and ignore. Then there are ones that are not so bad and are easily forgotten about within a few days. Never try to get a completely perfect one because it probably doesn't exist.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 10:21 PM   #22
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I had 3 iPad 4s and they all seemed fairly uniform to me, or maybe not enough to notice or care??

The iPad 3 had this problem a lot more often (literally every one I saw had it). I figure they got the issue down pat now.

If you're some anal retentive OCD person, it'll bother you, I stopped caring long ago. Even dust in the screen doesn't bother me as at any given time there's usually about 60000000 finger prints all over my screen and many specs of dust on top if the screen and even that doesn't bother me much (can't even see the dust between digitizer and LCD unless you look for it)
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 11:27 AM   #23
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake View Post
I had 3 iPad 4s and they all seemed fairly uniform to me, or maybe not enough to notice or care??

The iPad 3 had this problem a lot more often (literally every one I saw had it). I figure they got the issue down pat now.

If you're some anal retentive OCD person, it'll bother you, I stopped caring long ago. Even dust in the screen doesn't bother me as at any given time there's usually about 60000000 finger prints all over my screen and many specs of dust on top if the screen and even that doesn't bother me much (can't even see the dust between digitizer and LCD unless you look for it)
Theres dust in some of them?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:17 PM   #24
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Theres dust in some of them?
The digitizer and LCD aren't sealed like iPhone so it's very real possibility that dust can seep in, and not necessarily from a 3rd party or DIY repair.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 06:53 PM   #25
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
There are zero that are perfectly even. Some are worse than others. I went through many 3's and 4's a while back for various reasons. I know that there are indeed some that have an uneven tint that you just never get used to no matter how much you try and ignore. Then there are ones that are not so bad and are easily forgotten about within a few days. Never try to get a completely perfect one because it probably doesn't exist.
So Apple must consider this in spec.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC