Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last year, Philips launched its "Hue" lighting system, offering sets of wireless-enabled LED lightbulbs that allow users to remotely control their lighting, including adjusting to a rainbow of colors, from an iOS app. Hue has been exclusively sold through Apple's online and retail stores, and Philips has been working hard to both bring more features to the system and to open it up to developers to build even more functionality.

philips_hue_starter_pack_iphone.jpg
Philips today announced the "next phase" of Hue with a major update bringing a number of new features. Perhaps most interesting is integration with If This Then That (IFTTT) protocols to allow Hue to provide visual alerts for a wide variety of situations.
The next generation of the Hue app (version 1.1) can now hook up to your essential internet services via your smartphone or tablet, meaning your bulbs can act as indicators for weather, stock quotes, sports scores, email, social media and more. They can be set to behave in any way you choose. For example, to change color if it's going to rain; to blink if you receive an urgent email, Facebook message from someone special; illuminate gradually as the sun sets; or even flash in your sports team's colors when they score.
The new Version 1.1 of Hue also adds geofencing, automatically turning lights on as the user approaches their home and turning them off as they leave, as well as other customizable options. The update also brings recurring schedules, allowing users to simply set a schedule once and have it repeat each day.

Philips is also announcing an expansion in availability for its Hue lighting system, with a number of new outlets including Apple resellers and Amazon.com now offering starter packs and individual bulbs.

The Hue starter pack ($199.95) with core hardware and three bulbs and single bulbs ($59.95) are available through Apple. The Philips Hue universal app for iOS devices is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Philips 'Hue' Receives Major Update With Geofencing, Visual Alerts, and More

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Sonds great and I think this may fit well into my cool apartment.

I just hope lightbulbs don't turn into something like modern electronics where you want to buy the latest as soon as a new model with a new set of features comes out. :D

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
This all sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Who the heck wants their lighting to change to suboptimal colors?

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I've been tempted by these for a while, but the price keeps putting me off. Here's hoping that the end of the Apple Store exclusivity leads to a price drop - I wonder how much Amazon.uk will be punting then for?

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
I have these babies for a few months, they are not as bright as a normal LED bulb but they are mood lighting not a replacement light! The web portal allows you to log in from anywhere and control your lights... and for those in the UK you can buy the screw adaptors on amazon!

These are not cheap but no LED bulbs are.... like the iPhone tho they just work :D

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Still waiting for a price drop. Not paying $200 for light bulbs.

I guess it is a matter of perspective. I used to do lighting and tech for theater (including some Vegas and Broadway credits) so the price doesn't seem to bad to me. I've played with much more expensive toys. ;) Of course I would like to see the price come down. It is a little high but worth it to me.

I like that in an apartment you can't paint the white walls. You can, however, paint them with light.

The biggest negative is that they don't answer emails concerning the dev program. Why post a contact form if you are just going to ignore it?

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I just hope lightbulbs don't turn into something like modern electronics where you want to buy the latest as soon as a new model with a new set of features comes out. :D

well this is a free software update so early hue users and new hue users both benefit.

but in the case of led bulbs, the price is way too much compared to the possibility of better led bulbs right around the corner. i think most people are waiting to jump on a new bulb with significant improvements. but like solar panels, that will never come all at once. they will improve 1%-3% every year so there will never be a rush to adopt.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
This all sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Who the heck wants their lighting to change to suboptimal colors?

Me, but I was waiting for more feature, like the ones they just added...

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Gimmicky to some... life enabling to others. Think of someone who may be deaf. There have been lights for phone ringers for decades because it didn't require a whole lot of technology.

What if these could hook into an intelligent alarm system? Flashing some unique pattern to warn the deaf occupant of a time critical situation.

There is a multitude of good that this tech can be used for, beyond the gimmicky stuff.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
"The smartest thing since the lightbulb."

That's about as original as "the cure for the common..." portfolio in Mad Men. Of course, they ended up hiring the guy anyway.

----------

I just want to know if I play an audio recording of Ethan Hunt shouting "Red light...Green light," will the light bulb laugh at such a crummy piece of film dialogue?

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
i've been drooling over these, the only thing is - i switch my power off when i leave the house, and my internet is effected by it. and that takes away half of the perks... especially with this update...

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Not only I but my girlfriend both love our Hue.

It sets the mood in the evening and the "all off" feature is nice. I'm at 5 bulbs now and need to get another 4 bulbs.

The brightness is really depending on how you like things. I tend to dislike places that are lit up too much.

Philips Hue now has an open API so I suspect we will get more rapid software support. Also Philips announced a BR30 (Potlight) version of the Hue software and they are also working on MR16 (those small 2" track light ) versions. I'm pretty much sold on the platform.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Enough of the gimmicky, useless technology crap.

Obviously you're not a geek.

This is REALLY COOL for the geek in me. It's a little pricy, but that's to be expected for something new like this. I have like $500 a month 'play money' to spend on toys like this, so this is cool to me.

f $200 is too much for you, and you see no value in playing with something like this all weekend long, then it's not for you. Don't rain on other people's parades just because YOU don't like it. To each his own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.