Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BlackBerry has announced that it will bring its BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) platform to iOS this summer. BBM was one of the first proprietary mobile messaging services -- not unlike Apple's iMessage service -- and remains hugely popular.

The company reports that BBM has 60 million monthly active users and that BBM users send 10 billion messages per day. In January, Apple claimed iMessage users were sending 2 billion messages per day.

bbm.jpg
Moreover, there are a number of popular so-called 'over-the-top' messaging services including WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger -- both of which move billions of messages a day.
BBM set the standard for mobile instant messaging with fast and reliable service and an added layer of engagement with delivered and read statuses. You've shared with us your stories about how BBM has kept you connected when it mattered most to you. Upon release of the multi-platform BBM service, you can broaden that real-time connection to friends and colleagues on other supported mobile platforms.

In the first version of multi-platform BBM, iOS and Android users are expected to be able to experience the following BBM features:

- The immediacy of BBM chats
- Multi-person chats
- Voice note sharing
- BlackBerry Groups, where BBM users are able to set up groups of up to 30 people and share calendar, photos, files and more

The team here at BlackBerry has definitely been working hard to bring the much-adored BBM experience to a wider group of mobile users.
It was rumored back in 2011 that BlackBerry was planning to port BBM to iOS.

BlackBerry Messenger for iOS and Android is expected to be released this summer.

Article Link: BlackBerry Messenger Coming to iOS This Summer

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Where are the BlackBerry experts to tell us that our phones don't have BBM now? :rolleyes:

Is there any real reason to buy a BlackBerry anymore, if there even was one before?

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
For me Message does everything I need, if I had a friend who used BBM (I don't) I would just send them plain text messages

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Urk! Not exactly the move of a company filled with optimism about their hardware lineup!?!

"Hey you know the USP for our Blackberry devices? Here it is for iPhone :("

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
ok- to everyone who thinks it is a bad idea for Blackberry to do this:

think again.

Before:

"No, I'll rather get the iphone, so I can communicate with my friends who have iPhones"

Now:

"Cool, blackberry let's me communicate with a service that I love with all my friends who have iPhones"

;)

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
This would have interested me a few years ago when some of my friends still had Blackberry's. now they all have iPhones and we all use iMessage.

My friends used to use BBM as a reason why Blackberry's were better. Once iPhone got iMessage with read receipts they started moving over and now I don't know anybody who still owns a Blackberry.

I don't think BBM is a selling point for Blackberry when so many alternatives exist now. I really don't see how this helps their company at all unless they are hopping BBM survives if their hardware business goes under.

Last edited:

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
When you start putting your software on other people's hardware, that means your own hardware business is pretty much gone.

RIP Blackberry.

It's worked out pretty well for Google, their profits and Android Marketshare were up YoY.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Wow really, either this really smart or really stupid.

How it will help the sales of their hardware, and how can they receive income from this. Unless its a paid app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.