Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1
EnchantedPlague
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Horrible customer service experience

I have a launch iphone 5 and have had wifi problems with it since day one. The wifi becomes unusable if you are not in the same room as the router. I went into the apple store and after the genius rep looked at my phone he said he couldn't do anything because there was no proof of the problem.

So I go home, take a video of my iphone 5 doing a speed test on the same wifi network as a iphone 4s. My iphone got 3mbps download, the 4s had 28mbps. I go back to the store with the video, the genius rep takes a look. Still won't fix it and says the speed test app is unreliable and that the phone works fine in the store. Well obviously it works fine in the store, you have enterprise grade routers with no walls blocking the signal.

Anyway so I ask for the manger. He comes out and has the rudest attitude ever. I explain the situation and that I have tried it on 3 different routers and that it is a common problem (search iphone 5 wifi on Google and you get tones of hits). He then says that you can't believe what you read on forums. He then asks what happens if I replace the phone and the problem is still there. I then respond, then there is obviously something wrong with the design of the phone. His response...If that was the case then why wouldn't we have more complaints about it. That kinda contradicts what I said about the problem being all over the Internet. Anyway through the whole conversation he kept blaming me and my network and how I was using the phone. He finally agreed the replace the phone but I left feeling mistreated and frustrated. I was in shock that this was apple support.

Anyone else have similar situations?
EnchantedPlague is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LL22, UK
does it work on anyone elses wifi or a hotspot etc etc
__________________
iP5/32 black unlimited tethered data, ip4/32 black, iPad3/32gbwifi black, 2 x iP3gs/32 black, nikon d7000 with eyefi , honda s2000, audi a6 le mans, defender 90
Ste Nova is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 11:05 AM   #3
EnchantedPlague
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste Nova View Post
does it work on anyone elses wifi or a hotspot etc etc
I have tried it on two of my routers and at my girlfriends house. Works fine if you are in the same room, but as soon as there is any distance or walls between the phone and router the speed completely drops.
EnchantedPlague is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 11:11 AM   #4
SMDBill
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Does the new one work fine now? If so, that's the proof but a little too late to prove to the guy giving you a hard time about it.
SMDBill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 11:12 AM   #5
iceman17
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Go to a different Apple store or call customer service. I have always had very positive experiences with customer service at Apple. Perhaps you just got a "rotten apple" (sorry, couldn't help myself)
iceman17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:09 PM   #6
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rockland/Manhattan
which apple store is this? I will surely avoid this one
pnoyblazed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:15 PM   #7
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Sucks you had a bad experience, but without yelling us which store and who you dealt with I am not sure this post can be useful to, well, anyone.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:25 PM   #8
gigapocket1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Send a message via AIM to gigapocket1 Send a message via Yahoo to gigapocket1
Lol did the new phone fix the problem?
__________________
27 inch iMac Quad Core with [B]16gigs[B] of ram and 27 inch external display, MacBook Pro (2.66 GHz) with 8 gigs of ram, PowerMac G5, iPhone 4s 64 gig White.
gigapocket1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:27 PM   #9
dewthedru
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
exactly. problem solved now?
dewthedru is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedPlague View Post
I have tried it on two of my routers and at my girlfriends house. Works fine if you are in the same room, but as soon as there is any distance or walls between the phone and router the speed completely drops.

Sounds like ur on 5 GHZ instead of the more forgiving 2.4 GHZ.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 01:34 PM   #11
E2EK1EL
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Change your Wifi from WPA2K to WEP aka N mode to G mode and you'll be fine.
E2EK1EL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 02:11 PM   #12
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a
 
paulbennett95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
Change your Wifi from WPA2K to WEP aka N mode to G mode and you'll be fine.
Err I'd suggest against that, seeing how WEP is significantly less secure than WPA.
And I'm pretty sure N mode and G mode are separate from what security you use.
paulbennett95 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Err I'd suggest against that, seeing how WEP is significantly less secure than WPA.
And I'm pretty sure N mode and G mode are separate from what security you use.
Don't go to the deep end about your security method. I bet the the typical thief is not THAT interested or wants to spend the time required to break into your less than strong encryption.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 03:05 PM   #14
Troneas
macrumors 65816
 
Troneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At the hacks section.
the manager probably became suspicious because you've had this problem for 6 months and you've waited all this time to complain about it.
Troneas is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 03:40 PM   #15
EnchantedPlague
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I tried both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. I am aware that the 5Ghz will have less penetration and signal strength. I waited 6 months because I thought that a software update would fix the issue, and secondly, going to an apple store is quite a hassle. The apple store I went to was Fairview Mall in Toronto. The replacement phone seems to be much better, but I need more time to thoroughly test it.
EnchantedPlague is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 03:44 PM   #16
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
It could also be a crappy router.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 03:47 PM   #17
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedPlague View Post
Still won't fix it and says the speed test app is unreliable and that the phone works fine in the store. Well obviously it works fine in the store, you have enterprise grade routers with no walls blocking the signal.
There's no excuse for the attitude but surely you understand why they have to be able to replicate the issue to give you a replacement? Of course, from your perspective it seems like no big deal but they have to put up with spurious claims and people looking for replacements for reasons with no merit countless times a day.

If something is wrong with the device then a suitable test scenario should be possible. Even with "enterprise grade routers". Find the edge of their coverage and replicate the test with the faulty device and the known good device to demonstrate, for example.
takeshi74 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 04:26 PM   #18
EnchantedPlague
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
There's no excuse for the attitude but surely you understand why they have to be able to replicate the issue to give you a replacement? Of course, from your perspective it seems like no big deal but they have to put up with spurious claims and people looking for replacements for reasons with no merit countless times a day.

If something is wrong with the device then a suitable test scenario should be possible. Even with "enterprise grade routers". Find the edge of their coverage and replicate the test with the faulty device and the known good device to demonstrate, for example.
I completely agree. But they were very unwilling to do anything and didn't want to listen to me. They didn't want to try and move away to try test it. They just blamed the problem on me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
It could also be a crappy router.
Its funny you say that, because that's exactly what they said as well, despite me telling them it is a $150 Dual Band Asus RT-N66U which is a top of the line router, as well as being tested on a Dlink DIR-655 and a Linksys router with DD-WRT.
EnchantedPlague is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 04:40 PM   #19
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Some routers have quirky firmware, even worse many manufacturers use the same core code. Example would be the UPNP security hole which many routers had because they used the same UPNP module.

I've got an Apple Airport Extreme 5th gen and the 5GHz works great but is shorter range than the 2.4GHz.

That said Apple or more specifically Broadcom's WiFi drivers / hardware (who knows) are somewhat awful on both OSX and iOS. When they work they work great, else they're a pain in the butt. My iPhones WiFi is very moody.

PS there's a local Apple users meetup in Toronto, it's happening this Wednesday. Check meetup.com for details.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 06:17 PM   #20
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Some routers have quirky firmware, even worse many manufacturers use the same core code. Example would be the UPNP security hole which many routers had because they used the same UPNP module.

I've got an Apple Airport Extreme 5th gen and the 5GHz works great but is shorter range than the 2.4GHz.
Funny you should mention this. I threw my router to the wall (well, actually just retired it) because of UPNP issues. Finally just got an Apple router and it works fine. The fact that the OP spent $150 on a router with XYZ capabilities is largely irrelevant. While I am definitely NOT a pro, I know my way around router setup, and if I couldn't figure it out, a person who just wants a working router certainly wouldn't be able to either. Not implying the OP doesn't know what he is doing. For all I know, he is an IT manager! But coming from the viewpoint of the Apple worker, I can understand it.

My question for the OP is, have you tried another iPhone 5 on the same router? If at all possible, this is what I would try. As many have said, if they can;t replicate the issue, one can't really expect them to just replace the thing, especially when there are so many factors in play. I already feel like Apple's replacement policy is the most lax in the business.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 06:27 PM   #21
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedPlague View Post
Well obviously it works fine in the store, you have enterprise grade routers with no walls blocking the signal.
All of the apple stores I have ever been in have had horrible wifi speeds. Ever try restoring a backup while in an Apple store? Impossible. So if you connected fine in the store, and speeds were good, thats probably why the genius thought the phone was fine.
sulpfiction is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 06:32 PM   #22
EnchantedPlague
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Funny you should mention this. I threw my router to the wall (well, actually just retired it) because of UPNP issues. Finally just got an Apple router and it works fine. The fact that the OP spent $150 on a router with XYZ capabilities is largely irrelevant. While I am definitely NOT a pro, I know my way around router setup, and if I couldn't figure it out, a person who just wants a working router certainly wouldn't be able to either. Not implying the OP doesn't know what he is doing. For all I know, he is an IT manager! But coming from the viewpoint of the Apple worker, I can understand it.

My question for the OP is, have you tried another iPhone 5 on the same router? If at all possible, this is what I would try. As many have said, if they can;t replicate the issue, one can't really expect them to just replace the thing, especially when there are so many factors in play. I already feel like Apple's replacement policy is the most lax in the business.
I definitely know my way around routers and technology as I have worked in IT before. I did not have another iPhone 5 to try, but the video i recorded clearly displayed that there was an issue. Is that not proof enough for a replacement? The new iPhone's wifi works fine, again proving there was something wrong.

Last edited by EnchantedPlague; May 14, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
EnchantedPlague is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 08:07 PM   #23
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedPlague View Post
I definitely know my way around routers and technology as I have worked in IT before. I did not have another iPhone 5 to try, but the video i recorded clearly displayed that there was an issue. Is that not proof enough for a replacement? The new iPhone's wifi works fine, again proving there was something wrong.
For me, it's good enough. But I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I can see someone being skeptical of t being an issue, especially if e has never seen it before. A video of a signal dropping it becoming weak might not be enough evidence for them. I don't know what their specific protocols are.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 08:29 PM   #24
forcetactic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Glad you had your phone replaced. I posted a similar thread about a horrible experience with replacing my iPhone 4 and got bashed by fanboys defending apple left and right

In general I've had good experiences with Apple's customer service but no company is perfect so sorry to hear about your experience
forcetactic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 08:46 PM   #25
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcetactic View Post
Glad you had your phone replaced. I posted a similar thread about a horrible experience with replacing my iPhone 4 and got bashed by fanboys defending apple left and right

In general I've had good experiences with Apple's customer service but no company is perfect so sorry to hear about your experience
Been following the thread. Who, exactly, is bashing anyone here?
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Pro Retina 15 (2013) yellow screen, and horrible customer service rayedison MacBook Pro 39 Jan 15, 2014 12:49 PM
Carrier: Horrible T-Mobile Customer Service iPad Air free 200MB Data JFlitt iPad 12 Dec 30, 2013 01:47 AM
iPad: Good experience with customer service anubis1980 iPad 4 Nov 8, 2012 03:50 PM
IPhone users stay away from H2O horrible customer service whoknows87 iPhone 5 Sep 8, 2012 03:45 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC