Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old May 14, 2013, 11:02 AM   #1
definitive
macrumors 65816

File extension question.

I usually build simple HTML sites, and in most cases every page contains the .html extension. When I made Wordpress sites, I was able to modify how these turn out so that the page name wouldn't have any extensions. Is it possible to do the same for the basic HTML sites that I build? I tried rewriting it through htaccess file before, but was unsuccessful in getting everything to work smoothly. Is it a bad idea to simply have the HTML files without the extension, or would that present a problem with some browsers? I'm mostly looking for the best practices when it comes to these things.
definitive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 11:42 AM   #2
sonofjay
macrumors newbie

i think removing file extensions from files (even if it's all HTML) would be considered bad practice (and even inadvisable).

i don't think it would be an issue with the browser (client-side), but issues could come up on the server-side / on your web server.

for example, you may have a page domainname.com/info.html but if you tell htaccess to process all files as html domainname.com/info could still point resolve to the original info.html file.

now . . . what if you had a directory at domainname.com/info ? how would the web server resolve a link going to domainname.com/info ? Would it go to the root of the domainname.com/info folder OR try to resolve to the domainname.com/info file?
sonofjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Zyriab
macrumors newbie

re: File extension question.

You can't remove the file extensions on WordPress based sites as the template files need to have .php extension. What you can do in WordPress is set up permalinks, but that is *not* removing the file extension.
Zyriab is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development