Abuse of Job Applicants - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old May 14, 2013, 12:17 PM   #1
palmharbor
Banned

Abuse of Job Applicants

Applied for a job with MARKETSTAR...got this email rejection but says I should record an interview on-line for the indefinite future USING AN LG PHONE.
So, I guess I am expected to go out and buy this phone, use it to record this interview in the hopes that some day, they may actually look at it if there is a job open in my area. How reasonable is that?
Dear Phil

Thank you for applying for our company. At this time we have decided to move forward with another candidate; however we would like to keep your information in our database for future openings. We have recently started doing video interviews and we would like to have your video on file along with your application and resume, so when new openings come, it will speed up the process. Please click on the link below to take you to a third-party website, HireVue, where you can find further instructions on what we need you to do and complete the interview.

Please note, the final question of the digital interview will have to do a presentation on an LG Smartphone Device. Please do some research and be prepared to spend 2-3 minutes discussing the features and benefits of the product as if you were a representative in a retail store.

https://marketstar.hirevue.com/posit...ode/23456ccd43

Again, we thank you for your time and hope to talk to you in regards to another job opportunity soon!

Sincerely,
MarketStar Corporation
palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:40 PM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

Maybe they're pimping marketing LG products to their "applicants". It would not be the first time I've seen what were promoted as "job interviews" or "job-seeking seminars" actually be product marketing.

After all, MarketStar's own web page says "outsourced sales and marketing", so it's conceivable that's what they might be doing.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:42 PM   #3
MegamanX
Banned

that is just wrong on so many levels. I would not be surprised if the job posting is completely fake and really they are using it to advertise for that phone.
MegamanX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmharbor View Post
So, I guess I am expected to go out and buy this phone, use it to record this interview in the hopes that some day, they may actually look at it if there is a job open in my area. How reasonable is that?
Eh? What? Is that how you read that?

Quote:
Please note, the final question of the digital interview will have to do a presentation on an LG Smartphone Device. Please do some research and be prepared to spend 2-3 minutes discussing the features and benefits of the product as if you were a representative in a retail store.
I'm going to assume that they're an advertizing/marketing company. The way I understand it, they want you do a short clip to convince someone the LG Smartphone Device is somehow "magical" and "insanely great."
Old May 14, 2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Toppa G's
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
I'm going to assume that they're an advertizing/marketing company. The way I understand it, they want you do a short clip to convince someone the LG Smartphone Device is somehow "magical" and "insanely great."
This is how I read this as well - it wouldn't make sense to direct applicants to create the video recording using a device that is uncommon, nor would it make sense to have that kind of requirement at all...
Old May 14, 2013, 12:55 PM   #6
MarkCollette
macrumors 65816

Could be that they have a specific individual they want to hire, but have to go through an open hiring process, so this is the specific requirement intended to disqualify all but the intended hire.
MarkCollette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 01:37 PM   #7
SMDBill
macrumors regular

Quote:
Applied for a job with MARKETSTAR...got this email rejection but says I should record an interview on-line for the indefinite future USING AN LG PHONE.
Dear Phil

Thank you for applying for our company. At this time we have decided to move forward with another candidate; however we would like to keep your information in our database for future openings. We have recently started doing video interviews and we would like to have your video on file along with your application and resume, so when new openings come, it will speed up the process. Please click on the link below to take you to a third-party website, HireVue, where you can find further instructions on what we need you to do and complete the interview.

https://marketstar.hirevue.com/posit...ode/23456ccd43

Again, we thank you for your time and hope to talk to you in regards to another job opportunity soon!

Sincerely,
MarketStar Corporation
I think you misinterpreted their message. I believe what they meant to say is that the final question will require each person to do a presentation via video where candidates are asked to demonstrate the LG Smartphone Device as if they were a salesman trying to sell it. I don't believe they were asking you to USE it to make the presentation, but rather to make a video simulating you promoting one via presentation.
SMDBill is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
employment, job