Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 14, 2013, 12:40 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Groupon Releases 'Breadcrumb' Point-of-Sale App for iPad

Groupon has launched Breadcrumb POS, new point-of-sale app designed for small business owners that will compete with offerings from companies like Square.

The Breadcrumb name comes from the hospitality point-of-sale system that Groupon acquired last year. Breadcrumb POS will exist alongside the company's recently renamed Breadcrumb Pro app, which is targeted at larger retailers like restaurants and cafes.

With Breadcrumb POS, merchants can accept payments and manage finances on the iPad. The app works with the Breadcrumb card reader, which is purchased directly from Groupon.

To compete with services like Square Register and PayPal Here, Groupon is offering low rates, charging just 1.8 percent per credit card swipe or 2.3 percent for keyed-in purchases, with a $0.15 fee for each transaction. The app has several additional features, including functionality for printed receipts, menus, and discounts.
Quote:
- Easy Account Creation, Simple Setup, Fast Customer Checkout
- Multiple Tax Rates, Custom Items, Flexible Discounting
- Employee Roles, Menu and Tip Customization
- Beautiful Real Time Sales, Product Mix, Till Reports
- Email Receipts, Custom Printed Receipts, Prints Kitchen Tickets
- Supports One or More Printers, Optional Cash Drawer
- Just 1.8% + $0.15 per swipe for Visa, Mastercard, and Discover (Amex rates vary)
- $5000 in Free Processing with purchase of secure card reader (limited time)
- Free Live Support
Breadcrumb POS is an iPad-only app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Groupon Releases 'Breadcrumb' Point-of-Sale App for iPad
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:50 PM   #2
CristobalHuet
macrumors 65816

Looks so good, visually.

As for Groupon, they need to try something else or fade into oblivion.
CristobalHuet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 01:04 PM   #3
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Seems like the wrong focus for Groupon. Intuit, PayPal, Square all offer more mature products, with more focused marketing.

Groupon should focus on improving merchant relation and offer better analytic tools instead.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 01:18 PM   #4
DonutHands
macrumors member

1.8% vs 2.7% with square. Looks like a good deal if the backend is there.
DonutHands is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 01:59 PM   #5
iJon
macrumors 604

Breadcrumb has been around for 2 years now, not sure why this is making headlines.

Sponsored article I'm guessing. Groupon also bought Breadcrumb last year and I personally think they will make it worse. Groupon doesn't really have it all together nor do I think they have what it takes to make this software really shine.
iJon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 02:09 PM   #6
brownpaw
macrumors member

Seems kind of silly that something targeted at small businesses would be iPad-only. It would be useful for it to work on iPhone as well... I'm thinking arts and crafts vendors, for example.
brownpaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 02:19 PM   #7
komodrone
Banned

every time I read POS: piece of ****
komodrone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 02:20 PM   #8
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJon View Post
Breadcrumb has been around for 2 years now, not sure why this is making headlines.

Sponsored article I'm guessing. Groupon also bought Breadcrumb last year and I personally think they will make it worse. Groupon doesn't really have it all together nor do I think they have what it takes to make this software really shine.
We say right in the article that Groupon acquired Breadcrumb last year. This is a new app intended to broaden the appeal to other businesses beyond the restaurant focus of the original Breadcrumb.

And you should know by now that we don't do sponsored articles.
Old May 14, 2013, 03:46 PM   #9
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

I am confused why everyone is so hard on Groupon? I personally love their service and the couple of times that I have had issues with restaurants/merchants, Groupon has always taken care of me by at least giving me a credit of what I paid. Since the paid value never expires, only the promotional value does, there is no harm in buying them and having one expire if you are going to go to that merchant later anyway.

Now, I know Groupon has been having a hard time because of how many deal sites have popped up everywhere, but now that many of them are diappearing, I think we will most likely see LivingSocial/Amazon, Groupon and Google be the three big players in the end.

Google and LivingSocial/Amazon (I group them together, because they are the same company) both have diversified, so they they are not solely reliant on the deal sites to make money. So, I see this as Groupon trying to do the same thing and it makes perfect sense to diversify, so that your company can not only survive, but thrive in the future. Redbox is doing the same thing now by offering tickets to various events alongside movie rentals. Really, everyone has to or risk having to go out of business.
cmwade77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 04:35 PM   #10
iJon
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
We say right in the article that Groupon acquired Breadcrumb last year. This is a new app intended to broaden the appeal to other businesses beyond the restaurant focus of the original Breadcrumb.

And you should know by now that we don't do sponsored articles.
I apologize, I should have read closer as I read this briefly this morning in the car. Didn't realize Breadcrumb split into two apps as I don't work with this company as much as I used to.

While I have been on this site a long time, I've never stopped to learn if you did sponsored ads or not, so I apologize again.

Moral of the story, read more and post less :-p
iJon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 03:00 PM   #11
moogs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutHands View Post
1.8% vs 2.7% with square. Looks like a good deal if the backend is there.
They're both a rip off. For our small businesses, using basic POS systems and credit card machines we pay something like $0.05 per transaction. Not a percentage.
moogs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion