Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 14, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1
cramazing
macrumors 6502

I gave in and got the 4th iPad

been waiting for the ipad5 since Feb when people thought it was going to release in March, then they said April, then they said May, and now we are waiting for WWDC. ******* that i said and I just got the 4th iPad.

I know the new one should be a whole new design and all that but honestly how much "better" can it be over the ipad 4?

the ipad 4 should last me a good 2 years before i decide to want to switch, it will go well with my laptop

now my question is, i need a professional looking case.
I plan to use my ipad like my iPhone, Im a business man and i go on a lot of sales meetings and i need a case that will go well with my portfolio.

I have been searching and having been able to find much, looking for something leather like, budget $100.

Thanks
Old May 14, 2013, 09:14 PM   #2
MusicEnthusiast
macrumors 6502

Good choice on the 4! I got mine at launch in November. Being my first iPad, I haven't looked back!

I don't have something super fancy for a case. My budget was $30. So I jumped on a leather RooCase that has a velcro backing to easily switch between landscape and portrait stands.

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Dual-V...e+leather+ipad
Old May 14, 2013, 09:26 PM   #3
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramazing View Post
been waiting for the ipad5 since Feb when people thought it was going to release in March, then they said April, then they said May, and now we are waiting for WWDC. ******* that i said and I just got the 4th iPad.

I know the new one should be a whole new design and all that but honestly how much "better" can it be over the ipad 4?

the ipad 4 should last me a good 2 years before i decide to want to switch, it will go well with my laptop

I plan to use my ipad like my iPhone, Im a business man and i go on a lot of sales meetings and i need a case that will go well with my portfolio.

I have been searching and having been able to find much, looking for something leather like, budget $100.

Thanks
Congratulations, smart choice.

I really enjoy my iPad 4.

I'd suggest browsing Amazon, they have more cases than one can imagine. Prices are great, shipping is good too, they have several choices.

Even though it's rather overpriced, I like the Apple Smart Case.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 09:57 PM   #4
cramazing
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicEnthusiast View Post
Good choice on the 4! I got mine at launch in November. Being my first iPad, I haven't looked back!

I don't have something super fancy for a case. My budget was $30. So I jumped on a leather RooCase that has a velcro backing to easily switch between landscape and portrait stands.

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Dual-V...e+leather+ipad
i really like these! thanks for the headups
Old May 15, 2013, 01:24 AM   #5
tazz3
macrumors regular

congrats. i also going to get the ipad 4. i was going to get a refurb ipad 2
but it is 2 years old and if iam going to spend my momey i will do it right.
i also been waiteing for the 5 but i cant waite till fall. what size hard drive did u get with it 16 or 32 .. i might get the 32
tazz3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:38 AM   #6
LJSurfa
macrumors member

I also haven't looked back. The 4 is the best option by far even over the new 5 when it comes out. As we found with the 3 there were too many bugs to iron out. The 4 was the fix for all those bugs. 5 may well have niggly little bugs so for me it is the 4 all the way.
LJSurfa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 02:10 AM   #7
svbeige
macrumors newbie

I bought myself a STM Skinny 3 case for the ipad 4 from amazon ($22ish). It has held up well and the construction looks very well made
svbeige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 03:00 AM   #8
Ingster
macrumors regular

I got my 4 on Black friday replacing a cracked display 1st gen. i bought a smart cover and love it, although i scratched the back slightly after 2 weeks i ended up buying a cheap silicone back cover from amazon which matched the smart cover, so it's all wrapped up snugly, for travelling i place it in a crumpler hard case so it doesnt get knocked around too much.
Old May 15, 2013, 03:00 AM   #9
tecknik1
macrumors member

I also took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and upgraded from the Ipad2 to the Ipad4. The screen is definitely better and snappier overall.
tecknik1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:21 AM   #10
cramazing
macrumors 6502

thanks for all the replies.

I got the 16GB as I dont plan to put much media files in there, all my music is in my iphone, I will maybe put a few movies in there when I travel, the rest will be mainly for apps. Im exciting about this as I wont have to carry a laptop around the house all the time anymore
Old May 15, 2013, 09:50 AM   #11
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSurfa View Post
I also haven't looked back. The 4 is the best option by far even over the new 5 when it comes out. As we found with the 3 there were too many bugs to iron out. The 4 was the fix for all those bugs. 5 may well have niggly little bugs so for me it is the 4 all the way.
What are you? A psychic? The only bugs with the 3rd model of iPad was the fact the A5X chip was not powerful enough to smoothly run the OS. For me, if the OP waited this long, at least waiting to WWDC (on the off chance there is some kind of announcement) would make more sense than buying now. It's doubtful the 5th model will have issues associated with the 3rd model as it will be using an A6X or (probably) higher chip. For me, the 4th model was only necessary due to the above problem with the 3rd model.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:06 AM   #12
LJSurfa
macrumors member

And the problems with the over heating which meant that loads were replaced under warranty and ultimately lead to the 4 coming out only 6months after the 3. There were clearly problems there even if apple don't admit it.

----------

Also I'm not suggesting that the 5 will have associated problems I am pointing out that whenever a complete re-design is bought to market the is always problems to be ironed out. Tweaks to be made. I'm not suggesting they will be the same problems but we may find there are other problems with form and function.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:52 AM   #13
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramazing View Post

Thanks
Congrats on your purchase! The '4' is an incredible companion. I've been buying the Marware cases since my iPad 2. I really like the 'CEO Hybrid' version, as it's got a nice handle to hold the iPad when open (in portrait) or to stand up in two different degrees of positioning in landscape.

Check them out---and buy on amazon.com (you'll save a few duckets that way)

http://www.marware.com/ipad-4-cases

J
akdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 11:30 AM   #14
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Interesting POV. So the iPad 2 was essentially an iPad 1S, the iPad 4th gen is an iPad 3S.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 11:55 AM   #15
Batavian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
The only bugs with the 3rd model of iPad was the fact the A5X chip was not powerful enough to smoothly run the OS.
That's not a bug. It's a feature.
Old May 15, 2013, 03:16 PM   #16
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

I would recommend a leather case (Scholar series) from DoDo (dodocase.com), classy and sexy.

iMac; iPad; iPhone; Apple TV...and whatever's next (iWatch)
AppleWarMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 03:41 PM   #17
LJSurfa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmPeople View Post
Interesting POV. So the iPad 2 was essentially an iPad 1S, the iPad 4th gen is an iPad 3S.
Yeah I like that :-D
Old May 15, 2013, 03:50 PM   #18
PatrickCocoa
macrumors 6502a

Go Naked

Skip the case and go naked. I've been caseless on my iPad (1) for about 2 years and similarly caseless on my iPad (3) for a few months.

No scratches on the viewing screen, but the back does get some patina / wear / scratches / beauty marks.
Old May 15, 2013, 04:12 PM   #19
azure247
macrumors regular

People have reported the back getting scuffed by cases so you wont be completely protected.... the best way is to 'appear' to be caseless by using a plastic protector like zagg bodyguardz or w/e cheap brands thats good. It just wont protect ur ipad from dents but how often do u wham it into a physical object or drop it on the floor by letting go of ur grip....
azure247 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 05:34 PM   #20
unibility
macrumors regular

this is what i use...

link | http://www.saddlebackleather.com/iPa...ategory=301415
unibility is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 10:35 PM   #21
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Grey smart case, or a leather smart cover maybe?
Old May 15, 2013, 10:50 PM   #22
kaylerrific
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCocoa View Post
Skip the case and go naked. I've been caseless on my iPad (1) for about 2 years and similarly caseless on my iPad (3) for a few months.

No scratches on the viewing screen, but the back does get some patina / wear / scratches / beauty marks.
Which is why I just go with a smart cover on my iPad 4 and a clear and light Caudabe Shell for the back. Looks professional (I carry it on the job all the time) and is pretty slim.
kaylerrific is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 12:03 PM   #23
WeegieMac

Quote:
I love how people talk so much nonsense about the 3, like its not even a decent device. "Too many bugs"? Yes, I know fine well the A6 has these super benchmarks and eventually it will do games that the 3 cannot, but when I play Real Racing 3, Modern Combat 4, NFS Most Wanted, on the train to work I see people next to me look in shock at what my tablet is capable of.

Yes, the now infamous NOVA 3 option of full retina or effects has become the stuff of legends for people like you, but as of right now my iPad 3 handles anything and everything I throw at it, and it's not slow.

There's no bugs on my iPad, pal. Apple simply realised the 3 wasn't AS future proof as they'd like and they added more graphical power, but that's not to say the 3 can't handle intense visuals because for now, it can handle the very best the App Store has to offer. For now.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 12:26 PM   #24
Tsepz
macrumors regular

Thumbs up Congrats&Enjoy!

Congrats man, enjoy your iPad4, I'm loving mine, got it late last year in December as an Xmas pressie and I've thoroughly enjoyed it from day one
Tsepz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:11 AM   #25
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
I love how people talk so much nonsense about the 3, like its not even a decent device. "Too many bugs"? Yes, I know fine well the A6 has these super benchmarks and eventually it will do games that the 3 cannot, but when I play Real Racing 3, Modern Combat 4, NFS Most Wanted, on the train to work I see people next to me look in shock at what my tablet is capable of.

Yes, the now infamous NOVA 3 option of full retina or effects has become the stuff of legends for people like you, but as of right now my iPad 3 handles anything and everything I throw at it, and it's not slow.

There's no bugs on my iPad, pal. Apple simply realised the 3 wasn't AS future proof as they'd like and they added more graphical power, but that's not to say the 3 can't handle intense visuals because for now, it can handle the very best the App Store has to offer. For now.
Amen! Unfortunately this forum is a magnet for techno-geek oneupmanship...
My wife has the 3 and has no complaints whatsoever.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad