Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Maybe we can keep all Google I/O reactions, comments here.

So far, this is the juiciest rumor: http://phandroid.com/2013/05/14/samsung-galaxy-s4-google-edition-announced/

Samsung to announce Galaxy S4 “Google Edition” at Google IO [RUMOR]

S4 specs running stock Android? WUT! Highly skeptical, of course, but wow.

I'm also excited about any potential news of this year's Nexus 7. I think it might be time to drop iOS altogether (might give my iPad to my parents).

Very much looking forward to 4.3 or 5.0, too, even though I know the HTC One won't be getting it anytime soon. :[

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm watching this event closely, it's likely to be the most informative of them all for the first half of this year. Android & the various handset makers are rumored to have lots of new products launching between June & the end of the year.

It's an exciting time for Android. :D

Oh... And if the "Google Edition" materializes, I'll be ordering immediately.

Luckily the T-Mobile coverage in my area is outstanding!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Oh... And if the "Google Edition" materializes, I'll be ordering immediately.

Luckily the T-Mobile coverage in my area is outstanding!

Apparently, the sources have been right about Google stuff before. "Holly and Geek.com have been on-point with Google related rumors in the past." -Androidandme.com

:squeal:

----------

Asus and Google may announce this year's Nexus 7 at Google I/O, also. I'm excited about this: http://androidandme.com/2013/05/tablets-2/google-asus-set-to-announce-next-nexus-7-at-google-io/

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Good find! While Sundar Pichai totally downplayed any new products (software or hardware) this plus the streaming music service would be pleasant surprises. Definitely makes tomorrow seem all the more interesting.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Good find! While Sundar Pichai totally downplayed any new products (software or hardware) this plus the streaming music service would be pleasant surprises. Definitely makes tomorrow seem all the more interesting.

This confuses me. There have been legitimate leaks of HUGE undertakings at Google (Games, Babel, Android 4.3, Nexus 4/7 refresh, Spotify-like service, X Phone, etc.) yet Pichai really wanted to temper expectations. I'm not sure why he'd want to do that unless many of these are fake or only projects that got consumed by the hype machine.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Samsung to announce Galaxy S4 “Google Edition” at Google IO [RUMOR]

Skeptical.... [very]

It would be the death of / and make redundant any logical purpose of a nexus phone device.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
This confuses me. There have been legitimate leaks of HUGE undertakings at Google (Games, Babel, Android 4.3, Nexus 4/7 refresh, Spotify-like service, X Phone, etc.) yet Pichai really wanted to temper expectations. I'm not sure why he'd want to do that unless many of these are fake or only projects that got consumed by the hype machine.

Skeptical.... [very]

I'm super skeptical, too, as should anyone be.

I also have to wonder how they plan to sell it. It sounds like it'll go to Tmobile first according to some stories. So it'll be sold at full price under their Un-carrier policies. So... what will a full priced S4 running stock Android 4.3 cost? I can't imagine it being anywhere near the Nexus 4 from the Play Store. Why would Samsung cannibalize their own S4 TouchWiz sales? They wouldn't.

It doesn't add up. But it's a juicy rumor and apparently from a reliable source who has been right about Google rumors before. Could be interesting.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I am more interested in a potential Nexus update or X-Phone or that Samsung google edition you mention, than 4.3.

A better camera, please google?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'd be more interested to hear if google are starting to address things like software update rollouts, loosening dependence on carriers for manufacturers pushing out OS updates.

Shadow Puppy

macrumors member
May 10, 2013

One of the problems with leaks is that it can build up hype that the real thing can't really live up to. For example, there is a distinct possibility that Babel could be received by a little bit of disappointment due to it having been leaked. It is because of the leak, that people have certain expectations of it, that it may not meet with its official release. All in all, I think him trying to temper the enthusiasm is a good move. People tend to forget that this is really a developer event, and isn't the same as an Apple event announcing a new product (though people treat it that way).

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I'd be more interested to hear if google are starting to address things like software update rollouts, loosening dependence on carriers for manufacturers pushing out OS updates.

This would be great. I love the idea of stock Android becoming more and more pervasive, too.

Generally speaking now...

I really hope we see some special and "unique" features for 4.3. I don't mean "special and unique" in the typical sense with new and exciting features. I mean just little things...

-Like I really hope Google gives us a feature that recognizes and ignores accidental palm touches. This should be a pretty big priority considering the size smartphones are getting.

-For whatever reason, the Play Music app lags. It's not a hardware issue cause that lag's been there ever since the Galaxy Nexus. It just... lags. I don't get it. Scrolling is fine; it lags when you hit the back button. Like when you're returning from the "now playing" screen to the "Artists" list, for example. I don't know what the heck it is. Also, the 4x1 Play Music widget SUCKS. It sometimes becomes unresponsive.

-Chrome could get better. When are we ever going to get a dedicated Bookmark button? Everything else is intuitive, especially switching between tabs (I love swiping to switch tabs. Such a pleasure and fluid and seamless motion). Why can't the URL bar get a little shorter so we can throw up a "Star" icon to immediately access bookmarks? Wouldn't that make sense? Chrome Beta should come out of Beta already and become all-out awesome.

-Fix Google Voice. It's awesome, but it's buggy too.

Other miscellaneous things like bug fixes, even better battery management, etc is what I'm looking forward to. Just little things to tidy everything up.

Android is so damn good right now, it just needs to work out the little kinks. Of course, new mind blowing features are welcomed, too.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apparently, the sources have been right about Google stuff before. "Holly and Geek.com have been on-point with Google related rumors in the past." -Androidandme.com

:squeal:

----------

Asus and Google may announce this year's Nexus 7 at Google I/O, also. I'm excited about this: http://androidandme.com/2013/05/tablets-2/google-asus-set-to-announce-next-nexus-7-at-google-io/

My Nexus 7 has been just stellar. It's so much more comfortable to hold than my iPad Mini, and that's just for starters.

Those who haven't had the sheer pleasure of the pure Android experience are in for a wonderful adventure should they buy one.

That said, I'm eager to get my hands on the second generation model. Especially since it may be some time before Apple decides to put a better display in the iPad mini.

It would be nice to see Apple do something fresh & spectacular, however they remain focused on having Samsung's phones banned & other negative activities that only their legal team can help them with. Such a shame they're so successful, yet so bitter & resentful of what is essentially a waste of their time.

Apple cannot take down Samsung. Millions or a billion here or there means little to either company. Yet Apple's obsessed with playing the bully.

If Apple spent 100% of their time & resources in a positive, focused direction the products we would see hit the market could be simply amazing. I've been an Apple customer for too long to imagine them as bullies instead of innovators.

Yet they're proving to be quite determined as they cling to legal assaults as though it's a critical part of who they want to be.

http://www.androidcentral.com/apple-looks-add-samsung-galaxy-s4-patent-infringement-suit

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
This would be great. I love the idea of stock Android becoming more and more pervasive, too.

Generally speaking now...

I really hope we see some special and "unique" features for 4.3. I don't mean "special and unique" in the typical sense with new and exciting features. I mean just little things...

-Like I really hope Google gives us a feature that recognizes and ignores accidental palm touches. This should be a pretty big priority considering the size smartphones are getting.

-For whatever reason, the Play Music app lags. It's not a hardware issue cause that lag's been there ever since the Galaxy Nexus. It just... lags. I don't get it. Scrolling is fine; it lags when you hit the back button. Like when you're returning from the "now playing" screen to the "Artists" list, for example. I don't know what the heck it is. Also, the 4x1 Play Music widget SUCKS. It sometimes becomes unresponsive.

-Chrome could get better. When are we ever going to get a dedicated Bookmark button? Everything else is intuitive, especially switching between tabs (I love swiping to switch tabs. Such a pleasure and fluid and seamless motion). Why can't the URL bar get a little shorter so we can throw up a "Star" icon to immediately access bookmarks? Wouldn't that make sense? Chrome Beta should come out of Beta already and become all-out awesome.

-Fix Google Voice. It's awesome, but it's buggy too.

Other miscellaneous things like bug fixes, even better battery management, etc is what I'm looking forward to. Just little things to tidy everything up.

Android is so damn good right now, it just needs to work out the little kinks. Of course, new mind blowing features are welcomed, too.

- Chrome needs a dedicated reload button as well.

- Currently, an entire phone content library can be backed up using a nandroid if you are rooted/have custom recovery. Would like google to come up with a solution for full phone backups without having to void our warranties or run the risk of bricks.

- Integrate google talk into the messaging (SMS) app. It is a fine service, but largely gets ignored. No need for those special chat apps with this (will need those for cross platform though).

- Force developers who make apps that require background processes for online services (when not in foreground) to offer at least the option to use push notifications through GCM. IM+ uses this and it is nice to see my android phones' batteries remain full because of those push notifications instead of a constant battery hogging service. I am looking at you, Facebook.

- Allow google music in more places. If i cannot use it in Canada without a work around, i cannot enjoy its awesomeness.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011

- Currently, an entire phone content library can be backed up using a nandroid if you are rooted/have custom recovery. Would like google to come up with a solution for full phone backups without having to void our warranties or run the risk of bricks.

- Integrate google talk into the messaging (SMS) app. It is a fine service, but largely gets ignored. No need for those special chat apps with this (will need those for cross platform though).

- Force developers who make apps that require background processes for online services (when not in foreground) to offer at least the option to use push notifications through GCM. IM+ uses this and it is nice to see my android phones' batteries remain full because of those push notifications instead of a constant battery hogging service. I am looking at you, Facebook.

- Allow google music in more places. If i cannot use it in Canada without a work around, i cannot enjoy its awesomeness.

Isn't there a non root app called carbon or something that allows full backup? Don't know. Phones just don't die on me anymore. I don't worry about losing all my settings etc so I'm not that read up about back up apps. But I think carbon is one I keep hearing about.

Would definitely be great if Google came up with one of their own.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

Excellent Post!

Your points are spot on. That's what makes Android so exciting at this juncture. It's quite good, yet as you have pointed out, there's still work to do.

Its so refreshing to have a discussion with you & onthecouchagain, two people who have an excellent understanding of Android & bring up relevant points.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Isn't there a non root app called carbon or something that allows full backup? Don't know. Phones just don't die on me anymore. I don't worry about losing all my settings etc so I'm not that read up about back up apps. But I think carbon is one I keep hearing about.

Would definitely be great if Google came up with one of their own.

This is an area I find terribly lacking as well. While it would be nice for the occasions where a full reset is required, having a full backup available to install on brand new devices would be great. Quibble about iTunes all you like--it was nice to be able to plug in (or do it through the cloud) and just click restore from backup to end up with exactly the condition of my old device.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It could use a "scroll to top" and "scroll to bottom" button too in the menu list. :)

Just discovered the Quick Controls on the HTC One stock browser--would love to see something similar to these in Chrome.

Attachments

• 2013-05-14 23.55.46.png
    2013-05-14 23.55.46.png
    962.2 KB · Views: 111

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Chrome Beta isn't in beta, it's a beta app. In other words, it is how new features get beta tested before they are added to the final release version.

What bugs are you talking about?

Oh I see. Interesting. What's the difference between chrome and chrome beta at this point? I'm just using beta.

As for Google voice it crashes on me sometimes. Also it doesn't load when you have no service (not necessarily a bug). Wish it would let us open it at least even without service. It's also just slow sometimes. Again, I love the app but it could use some tidying up.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Give me a Nexus 8 or a Second Gen Nexus 7 and I'll be happy. I don't expect a new Nexus 10, a Nexus 5, or any other hardware. But I would love to see a new Android tablet in my price range.

Also, don't expect the X Phone. Google already said they are not going to focus on hardware. So also throw out a Google Watch, it won't happen.

Android 4.3 sounds like a minor update. I would like to see what Google did to Android fluidity happen to Android battery life. I think I heard a rumor of Project RoadRunner. But who knows. Other than that, 4.2 added no features that I actually use day to day. Unfortunately I think it is realistic to expect that 4.3 will be the same. Which is sort of a bummer. Of course you can't always come out with something amazing. But it is still good to see companies at least try to push themselves.

New OS features I want:
Better battery life
Integrated video chat
Proper cloud backup. (I had to restore my old iPhone from an iCloud backup the other day and it worked flawlessly. Restored all my data, apps, and home screens. Worked all in the background and I could use it while it was restoring. And from my internet, didn't take longer than 30 minutes. I know it is cliche, but it really did just work.)
Make Chrome as fluid as Safari on iOS
Make Google Maps work as fluid as on iOS. No more splitting up directions and navigation. Who ever thought of that was an idiot.
Google Now improvements. It is really just voice search. There are so many things Siri can do that Google Now can't.

Of course adding all those things would be a major improvement in my eyes, earning a 5.0, not 4.3.

It will be a new Nexus 8/Second Gen Nexus 7 along with Android 4.3. Everything else that will be talked about will be geared towards developers. That is my prediction.

----------

Oh I see. Interesting. What's the difference between chrome and chrome beta at this point? I'm just using beta.

As for Google voice it crashes on me sometimes. Also it doesn't load when you have no service (not necessarily a bug). Wish it would let us open it at least even without service. It's also just slow sometimes. Again, I love the app but it could use some tidying up.

Most Google apps could use some serious tidying up.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012

The one thing I hate about Chrome Beta on my Nexus 4 is that any time I type (for example in Google search) the text is never aligned w/ the search box, and I can type a long phrase and the text will just go off the screen. Now that I think about it, I don't know if it is necessarily a problem w/ Chrome Beta or the fact that I am running CM10. But this seemingly slight issue makes it so annoying for me to use, when all other factors would make it my browser of choice.

If Apple spent 100% of their time & resources in a positive, focused direction the products we would see hit the market could be simply amazing. I've been an Apple customer for too long to imagine them as bullies instead of innovators.

Yet they're proving to be quite determined as they cling to legal assaults as though it's a critical part of who they want to be.

I might be wrong here, but isn't this the same suit that Apple had won, but the courts are retrying next year? I'll gladly let the patent lawyers have at it and stay away from developing tech. And tbh, these suits really have little impact on us, the consumers, as they are both gigantic companies.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Just discovered the Quick Controls on the HTC One stock browser--would love to see something similar to these in Chrome.

If I'm not mistaken this was originally in the stock Android browser before chrome became stock. No clue why they took it out of chrome.

It needs to go back in!

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

the problem with google voice is that is is an app. the way to fix it is to integrate it into the sms and phone apps. make it look and feel like the real thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.