Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
We all know that Apple has eliminated the traditional cash register from the stores here in the US and use handheld iPod touches to take credit cards, for you to buy your product. When paying with a card that requires a PIN, they walk you over to a PIN pad where you slide your card and enter your PIN...

That is the US....

Now in Europe they have Chip & PIN, do they still use EasyPay devices over there? Do the iPod touches support EMV (Chip & PIN), or do they just swipe your card the normal way and have you sign for it (Which Chip & PIN cards still support, but Visa/MC's Merchant Services really frowns upon using the Mag Stripe, doesn't really recommend using it within Europe)? I do know that European cards still have the magnetic stripe for international use, as well as if the chip fails for any reason, the terminal would prompt you to swipe it.

Another story is that the US is getting EMV widely rolled out by Sept. 2015, what is Apple to do about taking these cards now?

I have noticed that most stores I shop at, Walmart, and Walgreens' terminals all prompt "Insert or Slide Card" so they did definitely do their upgrades. But places that have "mobile checkout" did not..

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I bought a new AE and a MBA case las Saturday here in Cardiff UK...guy had the hand-held device..just scanned the items, I put my card in and entered my pin...no cashier or registers in sight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.