Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old May 15, 2013, 08:14 AM   #1
MajkJaro
macrumors member

Software windows only

At my job we have a software that only runs on Windows (thats what the company says). I have a question because I'm planning to buy a rMBP saturday. Is there a posibility to surpass that and have that software on my rMBP without having a windows installed? remote desktop?
MajkJaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 08:16 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Remote Desktop would be an option, it then has to run on a Windows machine.

Booting Windows on the Mac
Old May 15, 2013, 08:47 AM   #3
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajkJaro View Post
At my job we have a software that only runs on Windows (thats what the company says). I have a question because I'm planning to buy a rMBP saturday. Is there a posibility to surpass that and have that software on my rMBP without having a windows installed? remote desktop?
There are many software titles that are Windows-only. You need to separate the function of your software from its function. If the Windows software in question is the only software that performs this function, then you have no option but to run this software. simsaladimbamba has given you links to two options for running Windows on the Mac. Two more problematic options allow you to run Windows software without Windows. These include the opensource WINE and CrossOver, the commercial superset of WINE. The options are problematic because they can be expected to work on a case-by-case basis but not generally. This is to say that CrossOver/WINE may work for your software or it may not.

Even though your software title is Windows-only, the functionality may not be. There is a breadth of knowledge among the members of this forum. Perhaps someone here is family with your firm's software title. It is even more likely that some is familiar with software that performs the same or similar functions.

If you give the name of the software title and the function(s) that it performs, then you may receive more useful assistance.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:01 AM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603

It should be noted if you're running .net apps Wine won't be your solution. Perhaps Crossover supports it but Wine Bottler doesn't.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:06 AM   #5
MajkJaro
macrumors member

http://currenda.pl/?page_id=112

Its software for judicial officers in Poland. it's a simple software running like microsoft word with some extra features. Nothing complicated imo. It works offline but the data is stored online on our internal net in the office so everyone has the same database.

I'm just thinking how to run it with a retina mac book pro. Would be very thankful for some help

Last edited by MajkJaro; May 15, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:24 AM   #6
duden32
macrumors newbie

I would not recommend using Wine.
You can try VirtualBox.
duden32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:45 AM   #7
MajkJaro
macrumors member

I have absolutely no clue how to do it so can you just tell me is it very hard to do?

I hoped for an answer "yeah, easy" but I see that it's gonna be a challenge
Old May 15, 2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Some options:

Parallels Desktop
VMWare Fusion
VirtualBox
Boot Camp
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:12 PM   #9
neilhart
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajkJaro View Post
I have the rMBP and from day two I have had VMWare Fusion, currently version 5, running and use virtual machines as needed. I have both Win XP Pro and Linux vm's and some days I run both concurently. And the great thing about this environment, you don't have reboot; just close the lid and the machine sleeps. I do not reboot the rMBP for weeks at a time. And with VMWare Fusion you can run Windows apps on the OS X desktop if you want.

I am sure that Win 7 an 8 run just as well, I just have no need for them.

Good Luck,
Neil
Old May 15, 2013, 06:14 PM   #10
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhart View Post
I am sure that Win 7 an 8 run just as well, I just have no need for them.
The OP wants to run Windows programs without having to buy/install Windows. Your method requires two purchases.

That said, I'd just buy Windows and forego Wine/Crossover. Use bootcamp. You'll at least have the real thing and not have to worry about compatibility.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion