Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red Fuji

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
USA-Pacifc Standard Time
I have a 2012 imac with 8 G RAM(for now) . Before I start loading - RAM is at ~6.7 G. And during the load it depletes it down to the Mega Byte level then immediately crashes(3rd way into the load.) X-Plane requirement states 2 G minimum and 4 recommended (probably 32 bit ver spec) I know 64 bit is a RAM hog but it is indiscriminately sucking up RAM like mad.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
64bit isn't a RAM hog, it's simply able to address more RAM than a 32bit OS.

Is this Apple RAM or third party? Are you running bootcamp drivers or did you try to add third party video drivers?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have a 2012 imac with 8 G RAM(for now) . Before I start loading - RAM is at ~6.7 G. And during the load it depletes it down to the Mega Byte level then immediately crashes(3rd way into the load.) X-Plane requirement states 2 G minimum and 4 recommended (probably 32 bit ver spec) I know 64 bit is a RAM hog but it is indiscriminately sucking up RAM like mad.

I ran it under 16GB on my 2011 27" and now 32GB on my new 2012...2GB GPU in both cases. I'd hazard a guess that you are going to have to turn down the settings. As a test, disable HDR rendering first, and set other options to minimum...then gradually work your way up until you reach the crash point.

If the game still won't run, then a re-install ( I know, it's a pain) and an email to Austin with a crash dump will help. More info in my thread here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1483739/

Red Fuji

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
USA-Pacifc Standard Time
Do not i need to launch/run it first in order to turn down the settings? i am new to X-plane but so far love what i see (32 bit does load fine but i wish to see what 64 looks like) and yes i sent off the crash report.

oh-to address blueroom:
yes-Apple RAM(min RAM that comes w/ 2012 3.4Ghz 27" imac)
no Windows installed.
no 3rd party - GTX680MX 2GB
Thanks.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Do not i need to launch/run it first in order to turn down the settings? i am new to X-plane but so far love what i see (32 bit does load fine but i wish to see what 64 looks like) and yes i sent off the crash report.

oh-to address blueroom:
yes-Apple RAM(stock minimum)
i dont have Windows installed.
Thanks.

It's odd that the 32 bit version runs and the 64 won't...It was always the other way around before as you can read from the posts in my link. I can't see what could be stopping the 64 bit version from loading apart from a corrupt file someplace....The 32 bit version was the crash laden one. If it were me I would delete the lot and start afresh....It's tedious, but will at least eliminate the corruption idea.

Red Fuji

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
USA-Pacifc Standard Time
I tried launching it last night and it took off-loads faster than 32 bit. I dont have any explanation as to why it wasnt launching before-was too busy playing X-plane with no time for fish bone root cause analysis:)
i dont know if sending the crash report helped with the fix? but i am happy.
now i need to look into a controler -yoke or stick-extra money for the Eclipse=wife lecture. hmmm. decisions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.