Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15, 2013, 12:08 PM   #1
n1tut
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Old Deer, Scotland
Dilemma

I realise that there are plenty of new posts on the new 2013 MacBook Air, and what features it will have, but i have an unusual situation at present.

I was burgled a few weeks ago and my basic 2010 11" was stolen. They are now replacing it, but the company does not have an 11" in stock, so are sending me a new 13" 4gb/128gb. I realise this is a good deal, but I bought the smaller one for size and weight so the larger one may not be an ideal swap.

The dilemma is we are all expecting the new 2013 model next month, and although the 2012 will suit me fine after the 2010 and I do not expect there will be any significant changes on the 11", from expectancies it looks as if the 13" could have a Retina screen, and high resolution is one of the most important aspects to me.

However as they can not supply an 11" at present, they will send me the 13", and as long as I do not open it, I can send it back and ask for an 11", which means I can wait and see what the new models spec will be and whether it is worth changing over, as long as it is released next month. If not then no decision necessary.

Not a bad position to be in, I have an iPad so can do without the Air for a few more weeks. I think this is the best bet, but if I have missed anything then quite happy with suggestions.

Cheers

tut
n1tut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 12:15 PM   #2
B...
macrumors 68000
 
B...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I don't think the 13" will get Retina this year. That is an amazing deal from the insurance company and I would gladly accept it. However, if you REALLY want the 11", there is no harm in waiting.
B... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 12:30 PM   #3
SMDBill
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Sounds like a great dilemma to be in!!
SMDBill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
If u don't get what you need, then it's NOT a good deal, but I suppose u can turn around and sell the 13" and re-purchase the 11" that you want + a little hassle.

No idea how U.K. insurance works, so no comment there.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 12:57 PM   #5
n1tut
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Old Deer, Scotland
Thanks guys, as said not a bad position to be in, so can afford to wait for the announcement if there is indeed one, then take it from there.

In the meantime I will take a friends 11" down to my Aberdeen Apple Store and compare it to a 13", as I have never had hands on one.

Cheers

tut
n1tut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 12:57 PM   #6
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
you could postpone as long as possible, take the "Free" machine and then sell it unopened when and if you decide it's not what you want?
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Sounds like you are making assumption they are giving you a brand new 2012 or 2013 machine, is that right? No chance is a 2011 refurb is it?
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 03:11 PM   #8
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Sounds like you are making assumption they are giving you a brand new 2012 or 2013 machine, is that right? No chance is a 2011 refurb is it?
it's europe - they just print money over there and buy him a new one.
my brother in law gets a new iphone every year when he loses or breaks it...

/ducks

DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 04:53 PM   #9
n1tut
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Old Deer, Scotland
Yes it will be a brand new 2013 machine, here in three days, but not of course a 2013 model.

tut
n1tut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 02:50 AM   #10
Ifti
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Give me a shout if you consider selling it
__________________
See my YouTube Channel for reviews & tech tips!
2012 Mac Mini Server / 2.6GHz Quad i7/8GB/2x1TB HDD
2013 MBA11 1.7GHz Dual i7/8/256 - 2013 rMBP15 2.6GHz Quad i7/16/1TB/750m
TC / iPhone5 / Drobo 5D
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC