Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Every time Facebook updates its IOS app I hope that finally we will see basic functionality, but no. Yet again today they have not addressed fundamental issues.

Among other things:

1. Why can we not copy/paste text? Why, with Facebook's staggering size and company resources, can they not write code that will enable us to copy a few words or text or URLs?
Hundreds of other apps can do this. And Facebook lets us do it on the web. So why not on the phone?

2. No link to (in fact absolutely no way to see) the full version. Given that the mobile app is so crippled, an alternative would be to open up a browser and go to the regular version. But even when the Facebook URL is entered, one is redirected to the mobile site where there is no button to choose the full version. WHY??? What possible reason is there to prohibit us from seeing the regular site?
Again, hundreds of other sites give us the choice between the "mobile version" and the "desktop version", from Amazon to IMDB to the BBC. Why does Facebook not allow it?

I've been searching with Google to find answers to this, and I expected to find thousands of other frustrated people online asking the same questions. But I can find nothing.

Have I missed something, or is there some obvious answer to my questions that I've overlooked?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Every time Facebook updates its IOS app I hope that finally we will see basic functionality, but no. Yet again today they have not addressed fundamental issues.

Among other things:

1. Why can we not copy/paste text? Why, with Facebook's staggering size and company resources, can they not write code that will enable us to copy a few words or text or URLs?
Hundreds of other apps can do this. And Facebook lets us do it on the web. So why not on the phone?

2. No link to (in fact absolutely no way to see) the full version. Given that the mobile app is so crippled, an alternative would be to open up a browser and go to the regular version. But even when the Facebook URL is entered, one is redirected to the mobile site where there is no button to choose the full version. WHY??? What possible reason is there to prohibit us from seeing the regular site?
Again, hundreds of other sites give us the choice between the "mobile version" and the "desktop version", from Amazon to IMDB to the BBC. Why does Facebook not allow it?

I've been searching with Google to find answers to this, and I expected to find thousands of other frustrated people online asking the same questions. But I can find nothing.

Have I missed something, or is there some obvious answer to my questions that I've overlooked?

When viewing Facebook with Safari, delete the "m." that comes before Facebook in the URL, and it will take you to the desktop version of Facebook.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
When viewing Facebook with Safari, delete the "m." that comes before Facebook in the URL, and it will take you to the desktop version of Facebook.

Nope. Redirects back to mobile version.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
My guess is that it's on their list of stuff to add, and like how Apple is with adding features to iOS, they'll add it when they're ready to add it.

As for Facebook letting you do it on the web, my guess is that they didn't write any code for that, and it's a feature of Safari.

Malindascott

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012

Among other things:

Try this URL https://www.facebook.com/home.php

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Once logged in, menu and scroll down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.