Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 29, 2005, 09:16 PM   #1
trainguy77
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to trainguy77 Send a message via MSN to trainguy77 Send a message via Yahoo to trainguy77
Entourage vs thunderbird

I have been thinking of switching. Is thunderbird any good? Mail.app is out of the question because i am on 10.3 What are your guys thoughts.
trainguy77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 09:40 PM   #2
dops7107
macrumors 6502a

I use Entourage only because I use a combination of IMAP, POP and HTTP email accounts. As far as I know it is the only program that will let you do this. I like Thunderbird for its simplicity, but the integration of contacts, calendar and email in Entourage make it the app of choice for me.
dops7107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 09:43 PM   #3
Aarow
macrumors 6502a

I haven't used those but I really like Opera's built-in mail. Very convenient.
Aarow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 10:36 PM   #4
generik
Banned

I really recommend Thunderbird.. makes a future transition to Windows or Linux totally painless too.

Opensource projects are great, give them a go
generik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 10:40 PM   #5
dubbz
macrumors 68020

I use it as my standard e-mail client for both my Gmail (POP) and Fastmail (IMAP) account. I have no particular need for advanced calendar or contact functions, so it works fine enough for me.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 10:57 PM   #6
Steven1621
macrumors 6502a

I found Thunderbird to be rather slow, especially with a lot on email on an IMAP server. That was my biggest complaint. I stick with Mail as a result.
Steven1621 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 11:14 PM   #7
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy77
I have been thinking of switching. Is thunderbird any good? Mail.app is out of the question because i am on 10.3 What are your guys thoughts.
Sorry, maybe I missed something, why can't you just use Mail? Why will this not work for you in 10.3?
Old Oct 29, 2005, 11:39 PM   #8
generik
Banned

Opensource apps does have the added advantage that your data is always safe and accessible though..

Closed source solutions will essentially leave you out to dry when they go out of business, and support for that product ceases.

Anyway I kinda like Eudora on Windows, so how is it on the Mac?
generik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:05 AM   #9
Nugget
macrumors Demi-God

I use Mail.app which is serviceable but kind of flaky. The Address Book integration is just too useful and for that reason alone I won't really consider migrating to Thunderbird.

I've been stuck by opensource projects which have died just as often as I've been stuck by closed source projects which have died. I don't think that's really a fair assessment of reality.
Nugget is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 02:30 AM   #10
superbovine
macrumors 68030

the only two good reason to use entourage. the fact that it can work with hotmail and exchange right out of the box. although, if you need the calender, notes,etc from entourage those are handy.
superbovine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 03:58 AM   #11
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Thunderbird is quite good, but I've noticed it's become a bit slow lately in switching between accounts in the sidebar. I just installed the latest beta and it's speedy again.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 04:02 AM   #12
radiantm3
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbovine
the only two good reason to use entourage. the fact that it can work with hotmail and exchange right out of the box. although, if you need the calender, notes,etc from entourage those are handy.
The funny thing is I can't get entourage to work with our office's exchange for the life of me. Our support can't figure it out either.
radiantm3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:09 AM   #13
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantmark
The funny thing is I can't get entourage to work with our office's exchange for the life of me. Our support can't figure it out either.
I agree with superbovine and you. Even at that, before my firm "upgraded" to Exchange 2003, Apple Mail actually worked better than Entourage on Exchange. Compared to my firm's earlier implementation of Exchange, its current Exchange 2003 implementation is at once less compatible with Entourage and totally incompatible with Mail.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:31 AM   #14
nichos
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to nichos Send a message via MSN to nichos Send a message via Yahoo to nichos
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantmark
Maybe try VPN?
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:33 AM   #15
nichos
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to nichos Send a message via MSN to nichos Send a message via Yahoo to nichos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dops7107
I use Entourage only because I use a combination of IMAP, POP and HTTP email accounts. As far as I know it is the only program that will let you do this. I like Thunderbird for its simplicity, but the integration of contacts, calendar and email in Entourage make it the app of choice for me.
Thunderbird can do IMAP and POP, and there's probably an extension for HTTP.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 04:55 PM   #16
trainguy77
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to trainguy77 Send a message via MSN to trainguy77 Send a message via Yahoo to trainguy77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shard~
Sorry, maybe I missed something, why can't you just use Mail? Why will this not work for you in 10.3?
10.3 mail just does not have what i need out of a email app. Mail 2 for 10.4 is much better.
trainguy77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 05:21 PM   #17
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy77
10.3 mail just does not have what i need out of a email app. Mail 2 for 10.4 is much better.
Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification... I use Mail in 10.3.9 and it suits all my needs, but hey, everyone is different, which is cool.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:38 AM   #18
superbovine
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe
I agree with superbovine and you. Even at that, before my firm "upgraded" to Exchange 2003, Apple Mail actually worked better than Entourage on Exchange. Compared to my firm's earlier implementation of Exchange, its current Exchange 2003 implementation is at once less compatible with Entourage and totally incompatible with Mail.

i have to checkout what you said about entourage on exchange 2003 now...hmmm
superbovine is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store