Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
That's what I'm asking. Is it at all possible? Since I'd be getting an Android for my next phone (The iPhones come with 3 year contracts and I'm going for a 2 year contract at the most) and I can't afford to upgrade to an iMovie capable iOS device is this at all possible? Is there a Cydia tweak to make this possible? Or are the hardware limitations of the 4th generation iPod touch making it impossible?

My iPod touch is jailbroken and running iOS 6.1. Not 6.1.3, Idk specifics.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
That's what I'm asking. Is it at all possible? Since I'd be getting an Android for my next phone (The iPhones come with 3 year contracts and I'm going for a 2 year contract at the most) and I can't afford to upgrade to an iMovie capable iOS device is this at all possible? Is there a Cydia tweak to make this possible? Or are the hardware limitations of the 4th generation iPod touch making it impossible?

My iPod touch is jailbroken and running iOS 6.1. Not 6.1.3, Idk specifics.

Where are you located? Because in USA all iPhones come with a 2 year contract...

Just saw u r from Canada. That's a weird contract thing.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Where are you located? Because in USA all iPhones come with a 2 year contract...

Just saw u r from Canada. That's a weird contract thing.

I'm with Fido. The iPhones have 3 year terms but all the Androids have 2 year terms and I will be getting a 2 year term at the most.

But I wasn't asking about phone plans and contracts.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Why can't you install it? It says in the requirements it'll work on an iPod touch 4th generation.

Yes, that is true. It works perfectly fine on my iPod. BUT there is no trailers. It requires an iPhone 4 or higher, or an iPad 2 or higher, according to Apple for the trailers.

I want trailers on my 4th generation iPod touch. What I'm asking, is there a hack, a Cydia tweak or a way to make this possible? If it's because of the 4th gen's hardware limitations then it would be harder to hack into, but if it were for marketing then it should be much easier to remove this limitation, right?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Yes, that is true. It works perfectly fine on my iPod. BUT there is no trailers. It requires an iPhone 4 or higher, or an iPad 2 or higher, according to Apple for the trailers.

I want trailers on my 4th generation iPod touch. What I'm asking, is there a hack, a Cydia tweak or a way to make this possible? If it's because of the 4th gen's hardware limitations then it would be harder to hack into, but if it were for marketing then it should be much easier to remove this limitation, right?

Ohhhh ok I gotcha. Sorry, I misunderstood what exactly you were asking. I am not aware of a tweak but it sounds like its something Flex should be able to do. I checked the Flex cloud and nothing exists, but that doesn't mean its not possible. Many of my patches aren't in the cloud. I created them myself. I wanted to take a crack at it for you but I just realized iMovie costs $5 to download.

Ad an alternate option, Ill post this question over at the Flex sub-reddit. Ill let you know what I find out.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Ohhhh ok I gotcha. Sorry, I misunderstood what exactly you were asking. I am not aware of a tweak but it sounds like its something Flex should be able to do. I checked the Flex cloud and nothing exists, but that doesn't mean its not possible. Many of my patches aren't in the cloud. I created them myself. I wanted to take a crack at it for you but I just realized iMovie costs $5 to download.

Ad an alternate option, Ill post this question over at the Flex sub-reddit. Ill let you know what I find out.

Oh, okay. Flex, I've never heard of that. What is it?

Anyways, I've got iFunBox installed on my computer. I could take off the iMovie application and get into it and modify it but I don't know what I would have to do.

But thanks for that, down in the last part of your response.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Oh, okay. Flex, I've never heard of that. What is it?

Anyways, I've got iFunBox installed on my computer. I could take off the iMovie application and get into it and modify it but I don't know what I would have to do.

But thanks for that, down in the last part of your response.

You're very welcome. I'm not sure iFunBox can do what you need. I don't have experience with that kind of tweaking. Are you suggesting editing a plist file? That might work. I'm not sure. Maybe you can edit the plist file and trick the app to think its installed on an iPhone 4 or 4s. Ill do some googling on this.

Flex is a Cydia app that allows you to patch just about anything on your device. I love flex. I read there's a big update in the works that'll add more features. I'm pretty exited. I have a ton of patches installed lol.

I posted this question at reddit regarding the flex approach. If anyone responds ill post it here. Good luck. If you resolve this in the meantime please let me know.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
You're very welcome. I'm not sure iFunBox can do what you need. I don't have experience with that kind of tweaking. Are you suggesting editing a plist file? That might work. I'm not sure. Maybe you can edit the plist file and trick the app to think its installed on an iPhone 4 or 4s. Ill do some googling on this.

Flex is a Cydia app that allows you to patch just about anything on your device. I love flex. I read there's a big update in the works that'll add more features. I'm pretty exited. I have a ton of patches installed lol.

I posted this question at reddit regarding the flex approach. If anyone responds ill post it here. Good luck. If you resolve this in the meantime please let me know.

Sweet, thanks. I'll get at the Plist file and see what I can do. I'll have to have two versions of iMovie on my computer, both would be copied from my iPod. One will be unedited and the other will be modified.

Just a side note, how would I go about "tricking" the app to think it's installed on a more powerful iOS device? It seems more feasible to me to make it think that it's installed on an iPhone 4 because both the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4th gen use the A4 processor.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada

What in the Plist file would I have to change/remove/add to make it think it's on an iPhone 4 or something else? I found the following in the file called "iTunesMetadata.plist":

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities</key>
<dict>
<key>armv7</key>
<true/>
<key>front-facing-camera</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>artistId</key>
<integer>284417353</integer>
<key>artistName</key>
<string>Apple</string>
<key>asset-info</key>
<dict>
<key>file-size</key>
<integer>496363614</integer>
<key>flavor</key>
<string>10:purple</string>
</dict>
<key>bundleDisplayName</key>
<string>iMovie</string>
<key>bundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>141</string>
<key>bundleVersion</key>
<string>592</string>
<key>com.apple.iTunesStore.downloadInfo</key>
<dict>
<key>accountInfo</key>
<dict>
<key>AccountAvailableServiceTypes</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>AccountKind</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>AccountServiceTypes</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>AccountSocialEnabled</key>
<false/>
<key>AccountSource</key>
<string>device</string>
<key>AccountStoreFront</key>
<string>143455-6,16</string>
<key>AccountURLBagType</key>
<string>production</string>
<key>AppleID</key>
<string>adri.g@telus.net</string>
<key>CreditDisplayString</key>
<string></string>
<key>DSPersonID</key>
<integer>221864367</integer>
</dict>
<key>artworkAssetFilename</key>
<string>6287118085865394067.jpg</string>
<key>etags</key>
<dict>
<key>media</key>
<string>"c3bb20b25bdf66c1357a2ea3f2d9f265:1360778809"</string>
</dict>
<key>mediaAssetFilename</key>
<string>-1565087330013222711..app</string>
<key>purchaseDate</key>
<string>2013-05-15T18:34:00Z</string>
</dict>
<key>copyright</key>
<string>2010-2012 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.</string>
<key>drmVersionNumber</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>fileExtension</key>
<string>.app</string>
<key>genre</key>
<string>Photo & Video</string>
<key>genreId</key>
<integer>6008</integer>
<key>is-purchased-redownload</key>
<true/>
<key>itemId</key>
<integer>377298193</integer>
<key>itemName</key>
<string>iMovie</string>
<key>kind</key>
<string>software</string>
<key>playlistArtistName</key>
<string>Apple</string>
<key>playlistName</key>
<string>iMovie</string>
<key>product-type</key>
<string>ios-app</string>
<key>rating</key>
<dict>
<key>content</key>
<string></string>
<key>label</key>
<string>4+</string>
<key>rank</key>
<integer>100</integer>
<key>system</key>
<string>itunes-games</string>
</dict>
<key>releaseDate</key>
<string>2010-07-31T02:05:45Z</string>
<key>s</key>
<integer>143455</integer>
<key>softwareIcon57x57URL</key>
<string>http://a1279.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/079/Purple2/v4/6e/c2/de/6ec2de39-81cb-7d44-226d-daa61ebc3cee/Icon.png</string>
<key>softwareIconNeedsShine</key>
<false/>
<key>softwareSupportedDeviceIds</key>
<array>
<integer>9</integer>
<integer>2</integer>
<integer>4</integer>
</array>
<key>softwareVersionBundleId</key>
<string>com.apple.iMovie</string>
<key>softwareVersionExternalIdentifier</key>
<integer>11521131</integer>
<key>softwareVersionExternalIdentifiers</key>
<array>
<integer>2721391</integer>
<integer>2786239</integer>
<integer>2967326</integer>
<integer>3493095</integer>
<integer>3770006</integer>
<integer>4375195</integer>
<integer>6811179</integer>
<integer>7703043</integer>
<integer>10631785</integer>
<integer>11521131</integer>
</array>
<key>vendorId</key>
<integer>2003</integer>
<key>versionRestrictions</key>
<integer>16843008</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.