Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old May 16, 2013, 06:31 AM   #1
wallraff
macrumors newbie

Codesigning Automator app

Hi. I have a useful simple automator app/droplet I've created and wish to distribute the app to my collegues.

They cannot open and run it, gatekeeper stops it, since it says its from a unidentified developer. Can I add this information to the app somehow?
I have a free developer account at apple and xcode installed but normally dont use it.

What can i do to add the developer info to the app?
Thanks
wallraff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 10:39 PM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Have a look at this:

https://developer.apple.com/library/...005929-CH4-SW2

Keep in mind that an app in OS X is just a bundle that contains executable code somewhere in it. So you can add a Info.plist file if the automater applications don't have them by default (although I imagine they probably do, since every bundle I've ever looked in, whether a plugin, app, or docset has had an Info.plist file in it.)
Old May 16, 2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Red Menace
macrumors 6502

An Automator "application" is really just a self-running workflow that is actually run by the Automator Launcher, so I don't know how that would work. How are you distributing the workflow (zip, dmg, etc)?
Old May 17, 2013, 02:15 PM   #4
chown33
macrumors 603

See this article:
OS X: About Gatekeeper

There are two sections that may be relevant to you:

1. Get a Developer ID from Apple:
For apps that are downloaded from places other than the Mac App Store, developers can get a unique Developer ID from Apple and use it to digitally sign their apps. ...
A paid membership can definitely get a signing key. I don't know if a non-paying membership can.

So sign up first for a non-paying Developer Program membership, then follow the instructions on how to get a code-signing key (google search terms: os x code signing). If you can obtain a code-signing key (or if you can't), then report back and tell us what you did and what actually happened.

2. See the subheading: "How to open an app from a unidentified developer and exempt it from Gatekeeper".
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Tags
app, automator, codesign