Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old May 16, 2013, 10:35 AM   #1
soco
macrumors Demi-God

Places to shoot in Queens/Brooklyn?

So, I've been dragging myself into NYC for the past couple of weeks, maybe 4x a week so far, and doing my little amateur's damndest to start getting a feel for street photography. Needless to say, it's been an unbelievably fun experience so far, and I love it.

Having said that though, I live in Queens, but work in Central Suffolk County! I drive home to Queens, and hurriedly grab the LIRR to Penn, which gets me to good light areas around 6:30/45.

The problem I'm having is that this time of day, the light is amazing, but already partly over, and the cost of taking the LIRR into NYC is $5.75 each way. At $11.50 a day, if I want to shoot even 3x a week, that's $35 per week! Not easy when you're saving for a wedding, a house, pay Queens rent, car insurance, car loan, etc. etc. wahh wahhh complaining blah.

Anyway, I was thinking, for the time being, where are some places in Queens, Brooklyn, or wherever that may be easier for me to get to, and could be just as bountiful in terms of street photography subjects & compositions?

I've seen that there are entire monographs out there on Coney Island and Brooklyn, so I know these places are good, I just don't know where to go to start out.

Thanks pals!
Happy shooting.
Contribute to MacRumors: Become a Demi-God!
soco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Places to shoot in Queens/Brooklyn?
Absolutely anywhere! People shoot each other all over NY...especially Queens and Brooklyn!

Oh....wait...

Never mind..
Old May 16, 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
soco
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Absolutely anywhere! People shoot each other all over NY...especially Queens and Brooklyn!

Oh....wait...

Never mind..
Hahahaha, not kidding, everyone is staring at me in my office.
Laughed out loud.
No context lol

Well done, sir.
Contribute to MacRumors: Become a Demi-God!
soco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 02:35 PM   #4
georgeinnj
macrumors newbie

A quick train ride to Astoria, or Long Island City will get you some nice shooting spots. In Astoria they have the park right under the Triborough bridge, I think they renamed it to some Kennedy now, and the Hellsgate bridge. There is also a very busy area in Astoria between Broadway and Ditmars Blvd where you have a lot of shops and ethnic restaurants that should provide interesting shots. In Long Island City you can walk down to the East River and get some nice views of Manhattan and the 59th St bridge.
georgeinnj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5
someoldguy
macrumors 6502a

Chinatown , Canal St. , the areas around both ends of the Williamsburg , Brooklyn , and Manhattan Bridges , Flushing Meadows Park ( maybe less good in the evening) , Battery Park , The Gantrys ...?

If you have time free maybe on the weekend , try Arthur Av. and City Island in the Bronx . IIRC the C or the D gets you close to Arthur , though I don't remember the stop ,( I drive there from Jersey) and theres 5-6 blocks walk from the station . City Island you gotta drive. Can't forget the Coney Island Mermaid Parade ( if it goes off this year , and the Feast on Arthur Av in September ( again IIRC)

Last edited by someoldguy; May 16, 2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: train of thought got derailed
someoldguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography