Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16, 2013, 11:29 AM   #1
WAM2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Never used a case on my iPhone 5.

Well after having had my iPhone 5 since launch and never using a case on it, I can say it is quite banged up. Specifically the top glass on the front above the front camera there is thousands of deep scratches, a nice deep scratch right on the front glass in front of the screen, and on the back I have no issues with the black coming off but the diamond cut edge is really beat up with dents and scratches, specifically by corners and right above the mute switch on the front. My only major damage is the bottom left corner has the diamond cut edge bent slightly up from dropping it. Other then that no cracks or anything even after several drops on tile and even rocks and concrete. This is my daily work phone so it's used heavily, and I just prefer the look and feel of the bare phone over a case.
__________________
2012 21.5" iMac: 2.7Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, GT 650m, 1TB HDD
2009 17" MacBook Pro: 2.8Ghz C2D, 6GB RAM, 9600m GT, 240GB SSD
PC: Custom and Changing
iPhone 6+ Space Grey AT&T 128GB
WAM2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 11:32 AM   #2
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
That's good. We need a control group.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
No case on any of my iPhones since the 2G, not sure how you're getting "thousands" of scratches on there, I have a few, none noticeable under normal conditions and a light ding on the edge. It's not that hard to do.
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 12:56 PM   #4
barkomatic
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Manhattan
Not for me. I keep a case on and underneath my iPhone is in the same condition as when I bought it. I actually like the thickness that a case provides--the iPhone 5 is a bit too think for me to hold comfortably.
barkomatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 01:03 PM   #5
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
My preference for each phone I own is to use it without a case.

I'd rather take the time & be mindful & careful with it for the sheer pleasure of using it as it was designed to be used.

Of the 30 or so smartphones Ive owned, which includes every iPhone, only the 5 has had a finish so poor I have to baby it.

Perhaps Apple will build some durability into the next iPhone.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 01:08 PM   #6
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
No case on any of my iPhones since the 2G, not sure how you're getting "thousands" of scratches on there
I'm not sure why you think your usage is indicative of everyone else's. Usage varies. It's easily possible for one to have little to no scratches and for another to have many scratches.
takeshi74 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 01:25 PM   #7
ross1998
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I use a bumper case with screen protector on front and back and its perfect. No scratches and I've had mine since launch day, the phone also looks very good looking with the bumper case and skinny. ( my iPhone is white and the case is red)
ross1998 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816
 
Tankmaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM2 View Post
Well after having had my iPhone 5 since launch and never using a case on it, I can say it is quite banged up. Specifically the top glass on the front above the front camera there is thousands of deep scratches, a nice deep scratch right on the front glass in front of the screen, and on the back I have no issues with the black coming off but the diamond cut edge is really beat up with dents and scratches, specifically by corners and right above the mute switch on the front. My only major damage is the bottom left corner has the diamond cut edge bent slightly up from dropping it. Other then that no cracks or anything even after several drops on tile and even rocks and concrete. This is my daily work phone so it's used heavily, and I just prefer the look and feel of the bare phone over a case.
interested in seeing the phone pictures
__________________
Check out our game Tank Maze
Tankmaze is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 02:35 PM   #9
WAM2
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
interested in seeing the phone pictures
Ill post some pictures. I usually use my phone to take pictures so gotta look for my actual camera now!
__________________
2012 21.5" iMac: 2.7Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, GT 650m, 1TB HDD
2009 17" MacBook Pro: 2.8Ghz C2D, 6GB RAM, 9600m GT, 240GB SSD
PC: Custom and Changing
iPhone 6+ Space Grey AT&T 128GB
WAM2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 03:06 PM   #10
mono1980
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lansing, MI
If your glass is that scratched, I seriously have to wonder what the heck you are doing to your phone...
mono1980 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Korilakkuma
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono1980 View Post
If your glass is that scratched, I seriously have to wonder what the heck you are doing to your phone...
By rubbing it on sand and asphalt... >=D
__________________
♥ [ Gaming Rig | i5 2500K 4.5ghz | Corsair H100i | EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Black | 16GB RAM ]
Korilakkuma is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 03:56 PM   #12
Simplicated
macrumors 65816
 
Simplicated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Just last week I decided to take off the case on my iPhone 5 and rock it "naked". The moment I took it off, I said to myself:

What a beautiful piece of art.

No exaggeration. It truly is one of the most meticulously crafted phones. One shouldn't cover it with cheap plastic, which ruins the beauty. You don't cover your car with a plastic wrap, either. It's scratched, and has got some minor dings here and there, but I truly used and enjoyed my phone, and they are testaments to that. Nothing can be kept as new once you open the box, it will all start aging, so why not just use it as it is meant to be?

A few years down the road, when I look at the phone again, I'll have that nostalgic feeling that it was a phone that I liked and stayed with me for a year or two.

Now if you're planning to sell it, that's a different story, and I fully understand people's concerns on this.
Simplicated is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 04:39 PM   #13
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
I've owned iPhones since shortly after the original introduction and I usually keep them for a few years. There have been only two times that I've dropped my iPhone from a standing height and on both occasions that broke the screen (the first time was with my original iPhone and it was even in a case, the second time it was my iPhone 3GS without a case and the screen completely shattered). Both of those phones continued to function after their fall and the only damage to the iPhone in the case was that a few rows of the LCD screen stopped working (i.e. the glass did not break).

Now I have an iPhone 5 and I keep that in a Speck hardshell case without a screen protector and after about seven months of daily use it is still cosmetically flawless (the phone, not the case).

YMMV, but the lesson I've learned after many years of iPhone use is that if you drop an iPhone on a hard surface from even waist height it's quite possible that the glass or the LCD will break. However, with reasonable care (without dropping) the glass does not scratch. Thus, the only reason I keep mine in a case is to try and protect it in the event of a fall (will I be three-for-three for breakage, I hope not).
fpnc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 04:46 PM   #14
abz1981
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Pictures or it never happened.
__________________
13.3" Macbook Air 2011, 1.7GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128GB flash storage; Apple Iphone 5 16GIG Black.
abz1981 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 04:50 PM   #15
tann
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nottingham, England
I've had a caseless white 5 since December and there are only 3 little nicks on the edge (where the shiny bit is around the device).

Not bad I think.
__________________
2013 13" MacBook Air i5/8GB/256GB || Silver 64GB iPhone 6 || 32GB Cellular Silver iPad rMini!
Follow me on Twitter!
tann is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 04:53 PM   #16
Pez555
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
No case on any of my iPhones since the 2G, not sure how you're getting "thousands" of scratches on there
Because he isn't using it the same as you are?!
__________________
Pez555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 07:11 PM   #17
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
I prefer the look of my nice iPhone 5 once I take it out of the banged up case.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 07:24 PM   #18
WAM2
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono1980 View Post
If your glass is that scratched, I seriously have to wonder what the heck you are doing to your phone...
Setting it down on my desk, sometimes its face down and will slide around, it just scratches it pretty hard. But I don't mind the bangs or scratches, its a phone, and it still does everything I want it to do.
__________________
2012 21.5" iMac: 2.7Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, GT 650m, 1TB HDD
2009 17" MacBook Pro: 2.8Ghz C2D, 6GB RAM, 9600m GT, 240GB SSD
PC: Custom and Changing
iPhone 6+ Space Grey AT&T 128GB
WAM2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 08:37 PM   #19
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
I think various people notice different size scratches to a different degree. I guarantee you all who say you use your phone naked all the time that I can find some light scratches somewhere on the phone. I might have to look for them, but they are there. Some people notice the hairline scratches easily, and some don't. My screen certainly has scratches, but they are tough to spot. Can only see them in the right light, and when the screen is turned off. As such, they don't bother me. Some people would be bothered by this, and for them I recommend cases and screen protectors.
__________________
Endorse what you love instead of attacking what you hate.
lordofthereef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 03:44 AM   #20
Fouracre44
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
That's funny, I know several people who own iphones 5, every single iphone 5 I hvae seen so far seems to have at least a little bit of the back of the phone scratched off, except the people with cases.
Fouracre44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:51 AM   #21
vampireszombies
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
Just last week I decided to take off the case on my iPhone 5 and rock it "naked". The moment I took it off, I said to myself:

What a beautiful piece of art.

No exaggeration. It truly is one of the most meticulously crafted phones. One shouldn't cover it with cheap plastic, which ruins the beauty. You don't cover your car with a plastic wrap, either. It's scratched, and has got some minor dings here and there, but I truly used and enjoyed my phone, and they are testaments to that. Nothing can be kept as new once you open the box, it will all start aging, so why not just use it as it is meant to be?

A few years down the road, when I look at the phone again, I'll have that nostalgic feeling that it was a phone that I liked and stayed with me for a year or two.

Now if you're planning to sell it, that's a different story, and I fully understand people's concerns on this.
I always see these stories of people going "naked", but I always wondered if people are aware that you can get a "naked" iphone and spend ~$15 for a front and back screen protector (a nice clear one) and still protect it and have your nakedness. Seeing the original post could have been prevented by spending a tiny amound of money which would of stopped most of those scratches from happening and would have still been enjoying a naked phone.
__________________
2012 2.5GHz 8/256 13" Retina Macbook Pro
32GB silver iPhone 5S - AT&T
vampireszombies is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 12:34 PM   #22
Smartass
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireszombies View Post
I always see these stories of people going "naked", but I always wondered if people are aware that you can get a "naked" iphone and spend ~$15 for a front and back screen protector (a nice clear one) and still protect it and have your nakedness. Seeing the original post could have been prevented by spending a tiny amound of money which would of stopped most of those scratches from happening and would have still been enjoying a naked phone.
considering how cheaply iphone 5 is made i wouldn't be surprised if a screen protector, while peeling it off, would take away the whole paint from the phone
Smartass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 12:52 PM   #23
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
This is such a non-issue. Get one of those ultra thin cases like the Caudabe Veil and be done with it. My wife uses one on her white iPhone and it looks fantastic. No more scratches and you're not covering up the design with some tacky case. End of story. Next thread please.
thelookingglass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 01:52 PM   #24
Simplicated
macrumors 65816
 
Simplicated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireszombies View Post
I always see these stories of people going "naked", but I always wondered if people are aware that you can get a "naked" iphone and spend ~$15 for a front and back screen protector (a nice clear one) and still protect it and have your nakedness. Seeing the original post could have been prevented by spending a tiny amound of money which would of stopped most of those scratches from happening and would have still been enjoying a naked phone.
I do have a front protector on, do notice that, most of the back protectors are still made with plastic and ruin the feel of the phone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartass View Post
considering how cheaply iphone 5 is made i wouldn't be surprised if a screen protector, while peeling it off, would take away the whole paint from the phone
Your really picked the right username. No it doesn't.
Simplicated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 03:23 PM   #25
wacky4alanis
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
My iPhone 5 has been caseless from day one, and it is pretty much pristine. The only scratches I can see are on the Apple logo. The rest of the phone looks like new.
wacky4alanis is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: Three iPhone 5 holsters (Seidio Spring-Clip Case/No Case and Splash Alpha I) matneh iPhone Accessories 16 Nov 10, 2014 01:23 PM
I made an iPhone 5 wallet case that doesn't suck. And isn't a case. bjamin iPhone Accessories 175 Oct 9, 2014 09:25 PM
Finally found the perfect iPhone 5 case - Knomo Open Case dabbler iPhone Accessories 5 Oct 25, 2013 09:21 PM
Anker Glaze Case for iPhone 5 with 2 in 1 Dual Case. Lowest price ever $3.99 FS faiz23 iPhone Accessories 10 Oct 31, 2012 01:16 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC