Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 16, 2013, 12:00 PM   #1
nia820
macrumors 6502a

Thinking of getting iphone 5

I currently have a rooted galaxy note 2. I love it. Nice big screen and like s voice a lot. And I like the customizability of android.

However even though I love the screen size it is becoming a problem for me. Especially when I'm out and I need to pull my phone out of my purse I got to use 2 hands to do it. And when I had an iPod touch I invested quite a bit of money into it. So I will have a ton of apps.

However I'm concerned about a few things. The screen and battery life.

I've seen plenty of people with cracked 4s screens and had to pay a pretty penny to get it fixed. Are there any serious reporting on iphone 5 screens being fragile.

Also the battery life. I can get almost 2 day charge with my note 2. How does your iphone 5 fare with battery life.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:41 PM   #2
CEmajr
macrumors 68040

iPhone 5 has good battery life that usually lasts all day but not as good as the Note 2. That battery is huge.
CEmajr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 02:07 PM   #3
ross1998
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia820 View Post
I currently have a rooted galaxy note 2. I love it. Nice big screen and like s voice a lot. And I like the customizability of android.

However even though I love the screen size it is becoming a problem for me. Especially when I'm out and I need to pull my phone out of my purse I got to use 2 hands to do it. And when I had an iPod touch I invested quite a bit of money into it. So I will have a ton of apps.

I've seen plenty of people with cracked 4s screens and had to pay a pretty penny to get it fixed. Are there any serious reporting on iphone 5 screens being fragile.

Also the battery life. I can get almost 2 day charge with my note 2. How does your iphone 5 fare with battery life.
I wake up at 6am and take my phone off charger then use it for about 200 text messages per day, 2 hours of surfing on Internet and I put my phone back to charge at 11pm uasally have 20% battery life. And you see more people with cracked iPhones in America more often cause lots of people have iPhones
ross1998 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 04:10 PM   #4
TommyA6
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia820 View Post

iPhone 5's screen is as fragile as any other high end phone, meaning it is pretty good at resisting scratches, but will likely shatter if dropped on concrete, or a similar very hard surface. Although, having a smaller screen and larger bezels will result in lesser damage on the screen itself if dropped on it's side,
As for the battery; I'm pretty happy with the battery on my iPhone 5. It can last for about 5-6 hours of very heavy usage ( lots of browsing, 2-3 mail account pushing, an hour or two of gaming, max brightness etc.). With normal usage it can easily last a day. I cannot compare with galaxy note 2, but from reading stuff here, it probably should last longer than the iPhone 5, but as I've already pointed out iPhone is no slouch either.
TommyA6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 04:46 PM   #5
rward01
macrumors newbie

From my experience, I have had excellent battery life on my iPhone 5. I tend to get two days out of it with average usage. My usage consist of texting, calling, iheart radio, the iPod, and browsing forums using tapatalk. I use an otterbox defender, so I am not sure how fragile the glass is. I have heard the aluminum on the back of the i5 tends to scuff up easily and is very noticeable on the black model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368737170.969356.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	412547  
rward01 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Tommym1609
macrumors newbie

You should definitely go for it. Back when I had an upgrade in January I was pondering between the iphone and the note. Ultimately went with the iphone and haven't looked back. For battery, it has good battery life I guess, but I use mine nonstop so I need to charge it at around 5 usually every day. As for the screen, as long as you don't throw it around like a baseball it'll be fine. Most people tend to be spazzes.
Tommym1609 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 05:32 PM   #7
BENJMNS
macrumors 6502

I really enjoyed the note 2 but found it a bit too unwieldy as a trade off for a great display.

I like android's notification panel much more so than iOS. There is greater detail and interactivity. iPhone is a bit of an appendage in design.

Note 2 will have noticeably better battery life but if you set your iPhone email to fetch, it's better than anything else out there in the gs4 caliber tier.

The note 2 will wear better due to plastics. I don't mind the plastic at all since you get added storage.

I currently use a 64gb i5 and not going to switch back to the galaxy line until the next true generation refresh to which it will then battle with iPhone xyz.

It'd be a much tougher call if podcasts were readily accessible on android. iTunes is already dated now that I prefer to use spotify.
BENJMNS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 08:46 PM   #8
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

IMO, the screen on the iPhone isn't any more or less fragile than anything on the galaxy series. The note 2 is basically at the head of the pack with battery life. If you got used to it, and are consistently draining the entire battery in a day's use, the iPhone will likely disappoint.

I find that even telling a person what you do on your phone when comparing battery life is pointless on an iPhone. You get no good idea of screen uptime, how much data is being pulled, what sort of reception the phone is getting throughout the day. "I use pandora, play some games, text, Facebook, and watch 30 minutes of netflix per day", are the types of answers you get. Those are just... too vague.

Last edited by lordofthereef; May 16, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
lordofthereef is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 01:56 AM   #9
Fouracre44
macrumors regular

Man, the S2 is still a relevant and well designed phone. I think if I was you, I'd get a 4s or a cheap 4 and skip the 5. I know many people on these forums love them, but most of my friends have complaints about this phone, build quality being the biggest design flaw. Battery life is what every other smartphone is - utter crap. You just need to turn data off when your phone is sleeping and tweak a few options, unless your somehow are addicted to your phone.
Fouracre44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 02:48 AM   #10
passey
macrumors member

Ive just sold my note 2 and ordered my iphone 5 to arrive on monday.

Note 2 is a good phone but its just not an iphone.

Theres something about them that just makes them seem / feel better.

Also resale value of the iphone 5 will be alot more than a note 2 in a couple of years.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:50 AM   #11
madgibbon
macrumors member

Over the last year I've owned an iPhone 4s, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 4, HTC 8X and iPhone 5 in that order (think I have a technology addiction ).

Anyway they are all fantastic phones, when the iPhone 5 was released I had the Note 2 and thought I would never be able to use a phone that small again.

However I've been using the iPhone 5 for that last month and love it. Yes it is smaller but that makes it much better to carry and use, after all its primary function is still a phone. For me battery life has been great, not as good as the Note 2, but not far short.
madgibbon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 07:38 AM   #12
passey
macrumors member

well my 5 arrived today.

gotta say it feels light than the note 2 by quiet alot.

love the fluid response of ios though compared to android.

I do like being able to use 1 hand again though where as with the note 2 it was always a 2 handed job.

Will let you know if it was a good move or not.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:51 AM   #13
Kjung7
macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation as the OP. I really liked the note but at school it's been a little annoying due to its size. It would always fall out of my scrub pockets and sometimes it was too big so it didn't fit in a pocket at all. The phone is a beast though and there are certain aspects of it that I highly prefer over the iPhone. But the iPhone is definitely lighter and easier to use with one hand. Also, the interface of iOS is just so much more consistent and fluid. Also, one thing that I really missed while on Android was the tap to top on iPhone. It's a small thing but is very useful especially in the web browser. Battery life is better in the note 2, but not by too much.
Kjung7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 09:54 AM   #14
passey
macrumors member

After a day now of going from note 2 to iPhone 5 it's deffo a good thing.

Much more fluid and responsive. I love being able to use 1 hand again

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone