Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DioBrando

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2013
Hi everybody,

I read a little bit of info here and there but I didn't find (maybe my fault) the exact answer to my question.
The problem as it follows...

I bought a Samsung 840 250 GB that I will use as the primary unit that replaces the mechanical 500 GB unit.
Plus, since I don't use it almost anytime, I'm gonna take the Superdrive out of the chassis and insert the optibay.
In the optibay I will put 1 TB Hitachi 2.5" 5400 rpm

I don't have an external optical unit so installing Seven might be difficult (I should prepare a USB live pendrive etc etc.).
Second thought is that, as far as I got it, would be preferrable to place the mechanical HD in the traditional HDD bay because of the Sudden Motion Sensor.

So...

1) can I install the Dual Boot partition (OSX - Seven) on the SSD mantaining the Superdrive unity and then, switch them, replacing Superdrive with
the optibay that will occupy the HDD bay, with no side effects?

2) Actually I still use Snow Leopard. Do u suggest keeping it or upgrading to Mountain Lion?

3) In case of upgrading it, in my place, would u install it from scratch (creating a bootable pendrive) or update the OSX partition, from SL to ML?

Sorry bothering you but I'm planning to do all this stuff in the weekend.
On Monday I would like to have my system ready to go, 'cause I need to work with it (Microsoft software developer).

Thank u all in advance :)

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Hi everybody,

I read a little bit of info here and there but I didn't find (maybe my fault) the exact answer to my question.
The problem as it follows...

I bought a Samsung 840 250 GB that I will use as the primary unit that replaces the mechanical 500 GB unit.
Plus, since I don't use it almost anytime, I'm gonna take the Superdrive out of the chassis and insert the optibay.
In the optibay I will put 1 TB Hitachi 2.5" 5400 rpm

I don't have an external optical unit so installing Seven might be difficult (I should prepare a USB live pendrive etc etc.).
Second thought is that, as far as I got it, would be preferrable to place the mechanical HD in the traditional HDD bay because of the Sudden Motion Sensor.

So...

1) can I install the Dual Boot partition (OSX - Seven) on the SSD mantaining the Superdrive unity and then, switch them, replacing Superdrive with
the optibay that will occupy the HDD bay, with no side effects?

2) Actually I still use Snow Leopard. Do u suggest keeping it or upgrading to Mountain Lion?

3) In case of upgrading it, in my place, would u install it from scratch (creating a bootable pendrive) or update the OSX partition, from SL to ML?

Sorry bothering you but I'm planning to do all this stuff in the weekend.
On Monday I would like to have my system ready to go, 'cause I need to work with it (Microsoft software developer).

Thank u all in advance :)

1. I'm not sure why you would install the OS's on the SSD only to swap the placement of the SSD and HDD a few minutes later...? The SMS only comes into play when you pick up your MBP while it's running, or drop your MBP. The SMS parks the disc drive head in an effort to prevent scratching of the discs, and ruining your hard drive.

If I remember correctly, the boot drive is by default, where the HDD originally sits, so if you install the SSD where the optical drive sit, you may not be bottable from there. I can't remember for sure though.

2. That's your preference really. Your MBP is capable of running ML, and ML includes iMessage and other sandboxing, and other improvements, SL is very stable. This is your choice.

3. If it were me, I'd place the SSD in the HDD spot, and move the HDD to the optical drive spot. I'd either enclose the excavated super drive to use it as an external disc drive, or I'd do an install via a bootable flash drive.

I'm always a fan of clean installs, so I'd install ML or SL (whichever you choose) and W7, and then I'd migrate any data from the HDD over to the SSD. Once I was sure I'd moved all my info over, I'd wipe the HDD and use it as storage.

This setup allows you to take your time with migrating data over, since you have the HDD located internally– no rush necessary.

DioBrando

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2013
1. I'm not sure why you would install the OS's on the SSD only to swap the placement of the SSD and HDD a few minutes later...? The SMS only comes into play when you pick up your MBP while it's running, or drop your MBP. The SMS parks the disc drive head in an effort to prevent scratching of the discs, and ruining your hard drive.

'cause if I decide to install the SSD in the optical bay and placing the mechanical unit in the HDD Bay, "plain" Seven would not be able to be installed on my machine.
Dunno 'bout Windows 8, but with no Superdrive or any other external optical units Seven won't proceed the installation progress.
That's why I would swap the discs, after the dual boot configuration made.

If I remember correctly, the boot drive is by default, where the HDD originally sits, so if you install the SSD where the optical drive sit, you may not be bottable from there. I can't remember for sure though.

I see...but I'm pretty sure there should be a method to change the setting, otherwise all the people that chose to put SSD in place of Superdrive, wouldn't have a bootable notebook :p

2. That's your preference really. Your MBP is capable of running ML, and ML includes iMessage and other sandboxing, and other improvements, SL is very stable. This is your choice.

I'm not a huge fan of Mission Control etc. and all the other Lion introduced stuff...so I'm not aware either of Mountain Lion...at first glance I read about some battery consuming problems, solved as far as I know with latest upgrades.

What I really would miss installing Snow Leopard again is the chance of hybernate Windows, since this fix came with BootCamp 4.0, available only with Lion and ML.
Are there any problems to hybernate a SSD, just to know...?

3. If it were me, I'd place the SSD in the HDD spot, and move the HDD to the optical drive spot. I'd either enclose the excavated super drive to use it as an external disc drive, or I'd do an install via a bootable flash drive.

I still have to order the Superdrive enclosure and I miss the LACIE external DVD unit, borrowed to my daddy...now that I needed :rolleyes:

I'm always a fan of clean installs, so I'd install ML or SL (whichever you choose) and W7, and then I'd migrate any data from the HDD over to the SSD. Once I was sure I'd moved all my info over, I'd wipe the HDD and use it as storage.

We are two :)
Ok I'll make a bootable Pendrive with Mountain Lion in case I'd go with it.

This setup allows you to take your time with migrating data over, since you have the HDD located internally– no rush necessary.

Very true.

Thx a lot mate for ur support, and sorry for my English...

DioBrando

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2013
No problem, glad to help.

:)

I prepared the Mountain Lion Bootable Pendrive in the meantime.

Sorry what 'bout your my last 2 questions?

1) D'u see problems swapping (HDD Bay-Optibay) the discs after installation of OSX-Seven on SSD
2) Are there contraindications using hybernate Mode with SSD?

Thx again :p

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
:)

I prepared the Mountain Lion Bootable Pendrive in the meantime.

Sorry what 'bout your my last 2 questions?

1) D'u see problems swapping (HDD Bay-Optibay) the discs after installation of OSX-Seven on SSD
2) Are there contraindications using hybernate Mode with SSD?

Thx again :p

1. You plan to use the optical drive for installation of OS X and W7, and then take the optical drive out and replace it with an HDD via optibay– Is this what you mean? If so, no, I don't see anything wrong with that.

2. None that I know of.

DioBrando

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2013
1. You plan to use the optical drive for installation of OS X and W7, and then take the optical drive out and replace it with an HDD via optibay– Is this what you mean? If so, no, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Yep, exactly.
Ok, I'll go for it, at least to try if I'm right or not.
In the meantime I've ordered the SuperDrive enclosure, but it's gonna take 1 week delivery, so I have time to "experiment" :p

2. None that I know of.

Cool. When I'm done I'll let u know if everything went fine. Maybe this experience might come useful to sb else :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.