Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17, 2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Assault
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: in the taint
Apple Seen Losing Innovation Magic by 71% in Global Poll

This has become pretty mainstream. Apple fans are in denial, but this is what people are thinking (and not just hedge fund managers either.) People are selling Apple stock at rates not seen since the time Jobs came back in 97 to steer Apple back to profitability.

Link: http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...obal-poll.html
Assault is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:11 AM   #2
dontpannic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orpington, Kent, UK
Quote:
Now, 71 percent of poll respondents say the Cupertino, California, company has lost its cachet as an industry innovator, which includes 28 percent who say it is permanent and 43 percent who say it may be a temporary hiccup. There are still true believers; 23 percent said Apple remains the best in the business. Six percent were unsure.
71% of poll respondants? Who are these poll respondants?

In fact, what basis in fact does any of that article actually have?
dontpannic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:13 AM   #3
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Sad news but hopefully this wakes them up. Contrary to misguided and incorrect popular belief, I do not want to see apple fail.
onthecouchagain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:18 AM   #4
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
*sigh*

I hope Apple just goes ahead and dies already. That way those of us who like iOS and Apple can live in peace from all these idiotic posts predicting their demise and lumping every single iOS user into some "iSheep" group who are either in denial or can't think for themselves.

I've "seen the light". I like Android. My HTC One is the best phone I've ever had. That doesn't mean I don't like my iPhone - I in fact love it. Using both platforms hasn't changed my use case from one to the other. I didn't suddenly become more productive when I switched to Android.....

Maybe I'm in the minority, but my use case is what dictates which features are important on a smartphone. The smartphone's features don't dictate my use case.

These threads are getting so redundant.....
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 2G | Lumia 635 | iPad Air 2 | Kindle Fire 7" HDX | 21.5" iMac (Early 2012) | 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2013)
"Innovation, my ass!" -Phil Schiller
jrswizzle is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
jamezr
macrumors 68040
 
jamezr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: US
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
*sigh*

I hope Apple just goes ahead and dies already. That way those of us who like iOS and Apple can live in peace from all these idiotic posts predicting their demise and lumping every single iOS user into some "iSheep" group who are either in denial or can't think for themselves.

I've "seen the light". I like Android. My HTC One is the best phone I've ever had. That doesn't mean I don't like my iPhone - I in fact love it. Using both platforms hasn't changed my use case from one to the other. I didn't suddenly become more productive when I switched to Android.....

Maybe I'm in the minority, but my use case is what dictates which features are important on a smartphone. The smartphone's features don't dictate my use case.

These threads are getting so redundant.....
I agree with you 1000%. I have had every iPhone released except the first one. I will not get another one until they release something bigger say 4.5 to 5 inches. But that doesn't mean I hate Apple or anything like that. It means I want a bigger smart phone. I am loving my GS4 BTW..... I alos have no plans to stop using my Apple products from my signature below. But....having said all that I do see Apple losing their mindshare. They need to get back to releasing great products and giving the buying public what they want.... instead fo telling them what they want.....Android is killing them with market share. But Apple still wins with net PROFIT! But at some point that profit will be affect by losing marketshare which translates into sales. If you lose sales......you lose profit.......
But make no mistake there is no doom for Apple....they have too much talent to not produce great products. But they might slip on being the best at producing great products as other companies are catching up.
__________________
2013 MBP| iPad Air|iMac 21|Note 4| Nexus 6
jamezr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:33 AM   #6
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezr View Post
I agree with you 1000%. I have had every iPhone released except the first one. I will not get another one until they release something bigger say 4.5 to 5 inches. But that doesn't mean I hate Apple or anything like that. It means I want a bigger smart phone. I am loving my GS4 BTW..... I alos have no plans to stop using my Apple products from my signature below. But....having said all that I do see Apple losing their mindshare. They need to get back to releasing great products and giving the buying public what they want.... instead fo telling them what they want.....Android is killing them with market share. But Apple still wins with net PROFIT! But at some point that profit will be affect by losing marketshare which translates into sales. If you lose sales......you lose profit.......
I don't understand why it has to be a "pick a side" thing.....I used to get caught up in that, but ever since Android won me over, I've found I like things and hate things about BOTH platforms.

I genuinely like both for various reasons.....why do I have to pick a side? Why does one have to win while the other loses?

To be quite honest.....it would be horrible for the mobile world if Apple died.....just look at where PCs went when Windows was the only dog out there....
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 2G | Lumia 635 | iPad Air 2 | Kindle Fire 7" HDX | 21.5" iMac (Early 2012) | 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2013)
"Innovation, my ass!" -Phil Schiller
jrswizzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:38 AM   #7
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
71% of poll respondants? Who are these poll respondants?

In fact, what basis in fact does any of that article actually have?
10 respondents ... 71% haha.
It's probably like 0.0005% of the population of Apple consumers.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Oohara
macrumors 68000
 
Oohara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
To me, Apple have definitely got a bit stale with their mobile platform and when the time came to renew my 2-year plan the iPhone 5 didn't excite me at all.

That said though I can still see why others would prefer the 5 over anything Android. Even though it's way too small and inflexible for my taste, it's still a slick as hell piece of kit and iOS is still coherent in a way that Android is just nowhere near - this is the one thing I really miss with Android.

Also I've no doubt that Apple will return with new and exciting stuff. And I look forward to it.
Oohara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:42 AM   #9
VulchR
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault View Post
This has become pretty mainstream. Apple fans are in denial, but this is what people are thinking (and not just hedge fund managers either.) People are selling Apple stock at rates not seen since the time Jobs came back in 97 to steer Apple back to profitability....
A poll of Bloomberg subscribers... how representative. I look at Apple as a consumer, not as an investor. Besides, investors are like generals. They always fight the last war.

My only complaint about Apple currently is the narrow screen on the iPhone (and perhaps that I'd like to see retina on the iPad mini). Mostly, though, I am impressed with Apple products and services, and I expect that will continue into the short- and medium-term.
__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:46 AM   #10
JaySoul
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Nobody is predicting the business demise of Apple, just the cutting-edge innovation side of things.

This next 18 months will show how much influence Jony Ive actually has - otherwise, it's just lip service.
JaySoul is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:53 AM   #11
skratch77
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
10 respondents ... 71% haha.
It's probably like 0.0005% of the population of Apple consumers.
Actually 906 of apple biggest investors and one of them that just sold 500 million worth of apple market share.so these are the people that actually are the ones that gave apple its massive market cap in the first place
skratch77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:56 AM   #12
jamezr
macrumors 68040
 
jamezr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: US
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
I don't understand why it has to be a "pick a side" thing.....I used to get caught up in that, but ever since Android won me over, I've found I like things and hate things about BOTH platforms.

I genuinely like both for various reasons.....why do I have to pick a side? Why does one have to win while the other loses?

To be quite honest.....it would be horrible for the mobile world if Apple died.....just look at where PCs went when Windows was the only dog out there....
Exactly......If you say you don't like the IP5...does that mean you hate Apple? Of course not! The competition between Apple and Samsung is great for us consumers....better products competing for the marketshare......I love it!
If I say Samsung dropped the ball on a specific feature in the GS4....that doesn't mean i hate Samsung....if I say I wish HTC had included a SD card slot on the One.....that doesn't mean I hate HTC...If is say Apple needs to make the next iphone bigger and revamp IOS....that doesn't mean I hate Apple....just means I want better products with the features I want.....
__________________
2013 MBP| iPad Air|iMac 21|Note 4| Nexus 6
jamezr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:03 AM   #13
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I personally think Apple is far from demise and/or doom. The worse case scenario is they'll become more niche as their macs have (though, honestly, being in NYC I see more macs than I do anything else), but even that I don't think will happen. Slow as they may be, they'll eventually give people more options with the iPhone, which will either draw people back and/or keep the ones already committed to the iPhone.

But you also can't deny there's a shift in the smartphone market that Apple helped create.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:06 AM   #14
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by skratch77 View Post
Actually 906 of apple biggest investors and one of them that just sold 500 million worth of apple market share.so these are the people that actually are the ones that gave apple its massive market cap in the first place
So 71% of 906 people voted that Apple is losing their innovation magic? Still doesn't worry me and who cares if one of them unloaded their stock, it doesn't qualify them any more than the other 905. I'm not saying Apple is up with the times, but they have always ran at their own pace. How is that a problem today?
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Bloomberg poll. LOL You do realize this is the same company that misquoted/mis represented statements from the Pegatron CEO in order to paint an Apple is doomed story (which they're doing on a regular basis now). That same week they ran a story with a lead headline about Harvard selling its AAPL stake even though it was only 500 shares worth 300K and a minuscule portion of all the investments they sold. Sorry but I don't trust a Bloomberg poll one bit. And even if I was to trust the number it's not hard to believe considering the 24/7 negative press Apple receives. So the media writes D&G and FUD every day about Apple and then releases poll results that show people think Apple is doomed, can't innovate blah blah blah. Wow what a surprise!
__________________
"When we se something huge and powerful we aspire to make it small and meaningful." Jony Ive 
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:13 AM   #16
Zaft
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
I personally think Apple is far from demise and/or doom. The worse case scenario is they'll become more niche as their macs have (though, honestly, being in NYC I see more macs than I do anything else), but even that I don't think will happen. Slow as they may be, they'll eventually give people more options with the iPhone, which will either draw people back and/or keep the ones already committed to the iPhone.

But you also can't deny there's a shift in the smartphone market that Apple helped create.
Thats because OSX is just better then windows. Going from windows to OSX is like going from eating **** to eating some good ol' Boston Market
Zaft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:13 AM   #17
skratch77
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
So 71% of 906 people voted that Apple is losing their innovation magic? Still doesn't worry me and who cares if one of them unloaded their stock, it doesn't qualify them any more than the other 905. I'm not saying Apple is up with the times, but they have always ran at their own pace. How is that a problem today?
This poll is from apples biggest players and not normal people is all I wanted to inform you about.
skratch77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:15 AM   #18
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Just curious what this topic has to do with Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices? I thought this forum was for people to discuss the non-Apple devices they use (or are thinking of buying).
__________________
"When we se something huge and powerful we aspire to make it small and meaningful." Jony Ive 
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:17 AM   #19
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Get a pair

They need to get rid of Tim Cook and get a CEO who inspires confidence in the public, confidence to investors and who will move the company from business as usual to a realization that Samsung is a huge threat and do something about it.
jimbo1mcm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:22 AM   #20
jamezr
macrumors 68040
 
jamezr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Just curious what this topic has to do with Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices? I thought this forum was for people to discuss the non-Apple devices they use (or are thinking of buying).
it is directly related......if Apple is losing...well whatever then that is driving/leading people to buy non Apple products...
__________________
2013 MBP| iPad Air|iMac 21|Note 4| Nexus 6
jamezr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:22 AM   #21
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030
 
ChrisTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Serious question, but what is it about a larger screen that suddenly makes a device or company more innovative? I thought it was all about the software? Sure widgets on a phone are fun, but I'm not buying a phone to stare at the weather all day. I still think Apple has a chance. They keep having breakout quarter after quarter. People always predict their demise until they report their financials.
__________________
Thanks Steve for all of the awesome technology!
Proud owner of an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro, First gen 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 3, Apple TV, Prototype iPhone 6+, and numerous iPods.
ChrisTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:42 AM   #22
JaySoul
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
Serious question, but what is it about a larger screen that suddenly makes a device or company more innovative? I thought it was all about the software? Sure widgets on a phone are fun, but I'm not buying a phone to stare at the weather all day. I still think Apple has a chance. They keep having breakout quarter after quarter. People always predict their demise until they report their financials.
It's bigger. You can see more. It's easier to read, surf the web, your thumbs make fewer errors when typing etc... The only drawback to the bigger screens is portability, really.

Even Apple admitted this by releasing the iPhone 5, otherwise it would have had a 3.5 inch screen.
JaySoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:46 AM   #23
0dev
macrumors 68040
 
0dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
I'm not sure how reliable this poll is but from what I can see from recent market trends and my own experiences, Android is taking the mainstream market while iPhones are becoming more niche. Personally I don't think Apple minds this. They aren't out to compete with Android on customisability and varying hardware, they cater to their niche customers and do it well, that's how its always been. I think we're seeing the bubble burst and the company value will shrink a little but they're not going to fail, just drift from the mainstream a little.
__________________
"What kind of arrogant ass would quote themselves in their signature?" -0dev
0dev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:49 AM   #24
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Just curious what this topic has to do with Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices?
Moved to a more appropriate forum.
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:54 AM   #25
jamezr
macrumors 68040
 
jamezr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: US
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
I'm not sure how reliable this poll is but from what I can see from recent market trends and my own experiences, Android is taking the mainstream market while iPhones are becoming more niche. Personally I don't think Apple minds this. They aren't out to compete with Android on customisability and varying hardware, they cater to their niche customers and do it well, that's how its always been. I think we're seeing the bubble burst and the company value will shrink a little but they're not going to fail, just drift from the mainstream a little.
couldn't have said it better! Still the most profitable company in the world.....
__________________
2013 MBP| iPad Air|iMac 21|Note 4| Nexus 6
jamezr is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losing Magic Mouse bluetooth connection slo-climber MacBook Pro 2 Nov 24, 2014 05:32 AM
Cars and Global Warming Poll tshrimp Politics, Religion, Social Issues 125 May 20, 2014 01:20 AM
Magic Mouse vs. Magic Trackpad Poll trustever Mac Peripherals 8 Feb 12, 2013 08:11 PM
Do you guys feel that apple is losing their magic? WhiteIphone5 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 66 Jan 30, 2013 07:23 PM
Feels like iPad is losing its magic... Poochi iPad 36 Oct 27, 2012 10:22 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC