Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
AT&T offering a "free iPhone 5" with trade in of a iPhone 4S

T-Mobile is really putting pressure on the other 3

The catch is must sign 2 year agreement.
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 08:30 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
I thought I saw a commercial that said you had to pay $9.99 but the source of this information (http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...-year-contract) says otherwise.

This is a good deal for anyone not worrying about upgrading this year or next year. I just don't know if I'd want to sign a 2-year contract on a phone that will be updated before Christmas (most likely).
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 08:40 AM   #3
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a
 
paulbennett95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Or sell your iPhone 4S for like $300-$350 on eBay, and use the extra $100 to take the family out to dinner, invest, whatever.

Scam if you ask me.
paulbennett95 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 08:47 AM   #4
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040
 
PsstGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Or sell your iPhone 4S for like $300-$350 on eBay, and use the extra $100 to take the family out to dinner, invest, whatever.

Scam if you ask me.
Exactly. Why get ripped off even more buy a carrier when you could just sell the iPhone yourself. They're just trying to sucker in more customers. A person might as well give their iPhone or smartphone to Gazelle.
__________________
iMac + iPhone 5 + rMini
PsstGreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:01 AM   #5
osofast240sx
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsstGreek View Post
Exactly. Why get ripped off even more buy a carrier when you could just sell the iPhone yourself. They're just trying to sucker in more customers. A person might as well give their iPhone or smartphone to Gazelle.
A lot of users cell bills are paid for by ther job either completely or a percentage. So this type of deal for these users are a free iPhone 5.
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:13 AM   #6
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040
 
PsstGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post
A lot of users cell bills are paid for by ther job either completely or a percentage. So this type of deal for these users are a free iPhone 5.
Well, if you're company is paying your bill, that's a totally different story.
__________________
iMac + iPhone 5 + rMini
PsstGreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:23 AM   #7
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
This isn't anything new. You could trade your 4S in at most retailers and walk out with a free 5. Hardly something that TMo had done. They haven't put any pressure on the market. Just another crappy network trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

Last edited by AutoUnion39; May 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
AutoUnion39 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 11:46 AM   #8
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Or sell your iPhone 4S for like $300-$350 on eBay, and use the extra $100 to take the family out to dinner, invest, whatever.

Scam if you ask me.
Do you even know what constitute a scam? This is a good deal for those that don't know how to use CL and eBay. I buy a lot of phones on CL and $200 is the price I pay for a 16gb 4s. I've even been lucky enough to get a 32gb 4s for $200.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 11:47 AM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Or sell your iPhone 4S for like $300-$350 on eBay, and use the extra $100 to take the family out to dinner, invest, whatever.

Scam if you ask me.
Scam? Please. Selling a phone below cost in exchange for a contract is hardly a scam. Look up the word scam, please.

I see the poster above me beat me to it.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 12:06 PM   #10
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Or sell your iPhone 4S for like $300-$350 on eBay, and use the extra $100 to take the family out to dinner, invest, whatever.

Scam if you ask me.
bingo. RadioShack, BB, etc have been doing this for ages. Trade-in your old iPhone and walk out with a new phone.
__________________
rMBP 15| MBA| riPad| TV| AEBS| iP5s|S4|One|GN3
AutoUnion39 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 12:20 PM   #11
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a
 
paulbennett95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Scam? Please. Selling a phone below cost in exchange for a contract is hardly a scam. Look up the word scam, please.

I see the poster above me beat me to it.
Scam: a dishonest scheme (according to my iPhone 4S, which cost me $350 on eBay in October)

Offering less than something is worth seems pretty dishonest to me.

But no matter, no need to get your panties in a bunch, just an observation. Sorry to offend
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 12:35 PM   #12
CEmajr
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Is the free iPhone offer extended to those who aren't eligible for upgrade? Of not then I agree it's nothing new at all and not related to what Tmobile is doing.

An example of Tmobile putting pressure on AT&T would be the new prepaid plans they are about to start offering which are actually pretty good. They even allow data on iPhones at reasonable prices.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 12:49 PM   #13
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Scam: a dishonest scheme (according to my iPhone 4S, which cost me $350 on eBay in October)

Offering less than something is worth seems pretty dishonest to me.

But no matter, no need to get your panties in a bunch, just an observation. Sorry to offend
It's not a scam by any definition.
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 01:08 PM   #14
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Scam: a dishonest scheme (according to my iPhone 4S, which cost me $350 on eBay in October)

Offering less than something is worth seems pretty dishonest to me.

But no matter, no need to get your panties in a bunch, just an observation. Sorry to offend
I'm no more offended than this is a scam and there are no panties currently to have in said bunch.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Do you even know what constitute a scam? This is a good deal for those that don't know how to use CL and eBay. I buy a lot of phones on CL and $200 is the price I pay for a 16gb 4s. I've even been lucky enough to get a 32gb 4s for $200.
Is uncle Leo again, everything is a scam!
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 06:31 PM   #16
aneftp
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Do you even know what constitute a scam? This is a good deal for those that don't know how to use CL and eBay. I buy a lot of phones on CL and $200 is the price I pay for a 16gb 4s. I've even been lucky enough to get a 32gb 4s for $200.
U must be one of low ballers on Craigslist who send out 10-15 text responding to iPhone /cell phone ads.

I guess eventually u will find a desperate or stupid fool.

Amazon trade in for ATT iphone 16GB 4s is $307 still it its in mint condition with box as of May 17th 2013.
aneftp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 07:07 PM   #17
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
U must be one of low ballers on Craigslist who send out 10-15 text responding to iPhone /cell phone ads.

I guess eventually u will find a desperate or stupid fool.

Amazon trade in for ATT iphone 16GB 4s is $307 still it its in mint condition with box as of May 17th 2013.
I don't send out texts, I call the seller and if they agree to my price, great. And yeah some of them are desperate for cash for whatever reason. It works out for me though.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 07:23 PM   #18
aneftp
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
I don't send out texts, I call the seller and if they agree to my price, great. And yeah some of them are desperate for cash for whatever reason. It works out for me though.
Yeah. Some people make a living flipping phones on Craigslist. Ha. One cousin down in Miami. She says her friend makes money off flipping phones.

My main concern these days is if price is too good, maybe the seller isn't paying the bills so att or tmobile may black list the imei and I would be stuck with a iPod like device that can't be used as a phone.
__________________
(late 2012) 27 in Mac 3.2 Intel Core i5 24GB RAM 1TB fusion, mid 2013 Macbook Air 256GB SSD 8GB RAM
32GB iPhone 5S, 64GB iPad LTE (Verizon) plus 64GB iPad Air
aneftp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 07:47 PM   #19
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Yeah. Some people make a living flipping phones on Craigslist. Ha. One cousin down in Miami. She says her friend makes money off flipping phones.

My main concern these days is if price is too good, maybe the seller isn't paying the bills so att or tmobile may black list the imei and I would be stuck with a iPod like device that can't be used as a phone.
Yes but that's why you have to buy very low, that way if something is wrong you can still sell it and recover your investment. I've had bought only one bad phone out of about 50.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 08:09 PM   #20
rgarjr
macrumors 603
 
rgarjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: C a l i f o r n i a
Do you have to be eligible for an upgrade to trade in for free. I wonder how they do it if u want a 32, or 64GB.
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 08:22 PM   #21
beeinformed
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
Do you have to be eligible for an upgrade to trade in for free. I wonder how they do it if u want a 32, or 64GB.
Maybe AT&T will allow you an early upgrade?
beeinformed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:35 PM   #22
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
Do you have to be eligible for an upgrade to trade in for free. I wonder how they do it if u want a 32, or 64GB.
Pretty sure they will give you $200 for your phone even if you dont have an upgrade. You just won't get the 5 for free.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:49 PM   #23
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
It's just business. Makes sense for some & not others. It's simply a choice, no one is forcing it on you.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 01:45 AM   #24
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
Do you have to be eligible for an upgrade to trade in for free. I wonder how they do it if u want a 32, or 64GB.
Serif as how you are required to sign a new two year agreement, yes, one would think you need to be upgrade eligible. Essentially all you are getting is a $200 trade in credit for your 4s. Nothing too complicated here.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 02:13 AM   #25
Davejprince
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Or sell your iPhone 4S for like $300-$350 on eBay, and use the extra $100 to take the family out to dinner, invest, whatever.

Scam if you ask me.
Thought the same lol.
__________________
Black iPhone 4s, iPad 2, Asus K55V Notebook, customized Windows desktop;
Davejprince is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Buy Offering Free 16GB iPhone 5s With Trade-In of iPhone 4s or 5 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 40 Mar 15, 2014 05:12 PM
All iPads: FYI - Target offering $200 store GC for "any" iPad trade-in jasonv1 iPad 84 Nov 10, 2013 09:41 AM
"iLife" and "iWork" free for iPhone 5S 8CoreWhore iPhone 18 Oct 16, 2013 08:58 PM
GameStop website offering $ to trade in iPhone 5S already luckydcxx iPhone 15 Aug 30, 2013 10:36 PM
Amazon rejected iPhone 4S trade-in because "Data could not be reset"??? Pjstock42 iPhone 11 Oct 1, 2012 01:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC