Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 17, 2013, 10:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Corning Announces 'Lotus XT' Substrate Glass for Brighter, Cheaper Mobile Displays

Corning yesterday announced (via Engadget) the launch of its latest glass substrate for LCD and OLED displays, Lotus XT Glass. While Corning is famous for its Gorilla Glass used by Apple and other device manufacturers to provide durable covers for their displays, substrate glass like Lotus Glass is used within the displays themselves to support the transistors and other components necessary for the displays to function.

Quote:
The Corning Lotus Glass platform enables organic light-emitting diode (OLED) displays and liquid crystal displays (LCD) that use either low-temperature poly-silicon (LTPS) or oxide thin-film transistor (TFT) backplanes. The result is an energy-efficient, immersive display device that features high resolution, fast response times, and bright picture quality.
Lotus XT Glass, an improved version of the original Lotus Glass announced in late 2011, offers improved thermal characteristics and stability to help increase efficiency and yield during display production. Lotus XT Glass is available in a variety of thicknesses ranging from 0.4 to 0.7 mm to support various applications.

In an introductory video, Corning vice president John Bayne outlines how Lotus XT Glass will enable better displays with improved yields:
Quote:
Our customers, the panel makers, are basically making thin-film transistors and aligning those transistors with liquid crystal material and a color filter piece of glass. Everything has to line up just right to work.

The distance features move during processing is called total pitch. And if you measure that from sheet to sheet, it's called total pitch variation. If panel makers can minimize total pitch variation, they can realize higher manufacturing yields and lower costs. In addition, they can design devices that have higher aperture ratios which are brighter and use less power.
It will still take some time for display manufacturers to adopt Lotus Glass XT for use in their processes and for those panels to make their way into finished products, but with Lotus Glass XT offering up to 75% better performance in total pitch variation than the original version, it seems likely that manufacturers will move quickly to adopt the product.

Article Link: Corning Announces 'Lotus XT' Substrate Glass for Brighter, Cheaper Mobile Displays
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:22 AM   #2
cambox
macrumors regular

You will be watching this using the Apple Tv then.
cambox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:39 AM   #3
NoNothing
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to NoNothing
I happily wait the optical performance of Museum Glass used on laptops, smartphones and iMacs.

http://www.tru-vue.com/Tru-Vue/Products/33/

The TruVue visual quality of the glass is simply astounding but the surface is fragile and prone to loosing its characteristics when touched. Basically, Gloss with almost 0 reflection.
NoNothing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:39 AM   #4
DonRivella
macrumors member

Stuff gets better. Or in the very least the PR department makes it sound that way.
DonRivella is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Skika
macrumors 68020

Just a reminded Corning would not have been around now if it wasn't for Steve Jobs.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

wow, cool. and now we need the battery technology to catch up.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:46 AM   #7
toaster64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Just a reminded Corning would not have been around now if it wasn't for Steve Jobs.
Apple really should have bought Corning.
toaster64 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:46 AM   #8
JAT
macrumors 603

Why are the letters XT so cool to marketers?
Old May 17, 2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Son of a pitch!

These guys are getting good.

More uses than plates, cups and bowls etc.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:56 AM   #10
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

If it can make devices lighter and thinner, we know that Apple will adopt it. I'd prefer something shatterproof.
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 11:09 AM   #11
whcchief
macrumors newbie

Just in time to miss this round of iPhone's/iPad's. Good one.
whcchief is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 11:14 AM   #12
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by whcchief View Post
All new innovation misses the current round of production. Simple fact of life.
JHankwitz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 11:15 AM   #13
ironsienna
macrumors regular

Great to see a "glass" related article about Apple... Too much Google glass news lately...
Old May 17, 2013, 11:32 AM   #14
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
If it can make devices lighter and thinner, we know that Apple will adopt it. I'd prefer something shatterproof.
This, if I understand correctly, isn't the outside glass.that is what needs to be shatterproof. Or at least very strongly shatter resistant.

If this makes it lighter, thinner, less glare, better colors and possible to use in sunlight, then I don't care if apple waits until next march to release anything new to give time for mass production. Heck forgot the first two and I'll still wait
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 11:33 AM   #15
Ralf The Dog
macrumors regular

Lotus glass? Fantastic!

I have driven a Lotus and they are fast and more importantly, they corner brilliantly. I hope the next iPhone comes with a standard transmission, as I hate sequential shift.
Ralf The Dog is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 11:35 AM   #16
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whcchief View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Apple has been known to front research costs via early buys in order to get exclusive access to something. It's possible that this wasn't announced until it had be tested in a display or two with someone like Sharp and they are now preparing to receive essentially every unit that can be made so they can produce screens for the fall releases. Which despite rumors is likely when they were always to happen.

Heck, Apple could have known about this for a while, including the time table, and that could be a factor with the iOS release to moving the iPads to the fall.
charlituna is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 11:56 AM   #17
Digital Dude
macrumors 6502

Boring but informative.
Digital Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 12:17 PM   #18
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quick, someone claim the iPhone doesn't use Gorilla Glass!
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 12:24 PM   #19
CJM
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf The Dog View Post
Lotus glass? Fantastic!

I have driven a Lotus and they are fast and more importantly, they corner brilliantly. I hope the next iPhone comes with a standard transmission, as I hate sequential shift.
You've driven a flower? Impressive!
CJM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 12:50 PM   #20
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
I think you mean a spreadsheet.

Or yoga.
Old May 17, 2013, 01:11 PM   #21
wizard
macrumors 68040

This is old fashion BS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Cornings interests are very wide, Girila glass is a small drop in a big bucket.
wizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 01:26 PM   #22
Ralf The Dog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
New meaning to gas pedal.
Ralf The Dog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 01:30 PM   #23
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Looking forward to those displays in the iPhone 6.
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 02:14 PM   #24
apolloa
macrumors 601

I've read the iPhone 5 doesn't use the Gorilla glass and looking at the front of mine I can well believe it! Although other story's state it does but no proof exists either way. So I do hope Apple use this new glass at the very least in its new products. Although we also have this sapphire glass rumour too?
Old May 17, 2013, 03:21 PM   #25
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

Every component slowly but surely marches forward, sometimes they take a bunch of components with them , this glass is one of those little game changers.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion