Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old May 17, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1
olup
macrumors regular

Question about file permissions in WordPress

So the time has come that I'm developing my first wordpress theme.

Since I'm testing on my localhost and I wanted to be able to install plugins and upload images, I changed the permissions of the theme's content I'm working on to 777 by editing them in the get info respectively.

However I'm unsure to what settings I should change those settings when the theme goes live. As I've read that 777 imposed quite a security issue.

Should I do that in get info again or is it better to do it in the ftp client?
olup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 01:24 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by olup View Post
So the time has come that I'm developing my first wordpress theme.

Since I'm testing on my localhost and I wanted to be able to install plugins and upload images, I changed the permissions of the theme's content I'm working on to 777 by editing them in the get info respectively.

However I'm unsure to what settings I should change those settings when the theme goes live. As I've read that 777 imposed quite a security issue.

Should I do that in get info again or is it better to do it in the ftp client?
The file permissions on my WordPress theme are 6 4 4 and that's just a sample of one of the pages - footer.php. Once you upload the files to your server, you may want to spot check the permissions on the files, especially your config files. They shouldn't have write permissions unless your working on them.
Attached Images

Old May 17, 2013, 01:32 PM   #3
olup
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
The file permissions on my WordPress theme are 6 4 4 and that's just a sample of one of the pages - footer.php. Once you upload the files to your server, you may want to spot check the permissions on the files, especially your config files. They shouldn't have write permissions unless your working on them.
Thank you very much for the quick response, changed the permissions and hopefully all goes well.

olup is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development