Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old May 17, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

SafariForWebkitDevelopment Web Content over 2GB

Is there some way to lower the amount of RAM that's used? I like the speed and all, but it isn't exactly friendly with resources.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
Is there some way to lower the amount of RAM that's used? I like the speed and all, but it isn't exactly friendly with resources.
No current way atm.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Okay.

Next question is why it's like that. I don't get it.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Weaselboy

Quote:
Okay.

I believe the idea is to use memory if available to cache pages for faster access. As long as the system still has memory available, this is not a problem.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 10:45 AM   #5
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Free RAM is wasted RAM. RAM is there to be used. OS X will use as much RAM as possible. That's a Good Thing™.

You don't need to worry about freeing up precious RAM in order to anticipate launching more apps in the future. OS X is well aware that you might do this, and is prepared for it.

If you're running "SafariForWebkitDevelopment" in 10.8.4, then you're a developer running a test environment, so that software is probably not optimized for efficient use of resources.

Last edited by benwiggy; May 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I believe the idea is to use memory if available to cache pages for faster access. As long as the system still has memory available, this is not a problem.
So ... the high use of RAM is -why- it's so fast? Not complaining, just making sure I'm understanding you right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Free RAM is wasted RAM. RAM is there to be used. OS X will use as much RAM as possible. That's a Good Thing™.

You don't need to worry about freeing up precious RAM in order to anticipate launching more apps in the future. OS X is well aware that you might do this, and is prepared for it.

If you're running "SafariForWebkitDevelopment" in 10.8.4, then you're a developer running a test environment, so that software is probably not optimized for efficient use of resources.
So you think it will be more optimized as time goes on?

Also, I guess I'm still not completely out of the mindset of "watch my RAM". XD I'm going to change this, eventually.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Weaselboy

Quote:
So ... the high use of RAM is -why- it's so fast? Not complaining, just making sure I'm understanding you right.
The idea is the cache saves pages you visited in memory, so if you go back to that page it will load faster since the page is cached locally and almost nothing needs to be redownloaded from the Internet.

You can see it yourself if you clear the cache then visit a page twice. The second time will be faster due to the cache.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:28 AM   #8
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
The idea is the cache saves pages you visited in memory, so if you go back to that page it will load faster since the page is cached locally and almost nothing needs to be redownloaded from the Internet.

You can see it yourself if you clear the cache then visit a page twice. The second time will be faster due to the cache.
Ok but then why does safari reload tabs or pages when you swipe to go back, shouldnt those be in the cache ready for viewing, a la Chrome? I'm not trying to argue against your point. In theory it sounds good.
JohnDoe98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Weaselboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe98 View Post
Ok but then why does safari reload tabs or pages when you swipe to go back, shouldnt those be in the cache ready for viewing, a la Chrome? I'm not trying to argue against your point. In theory it sounds good.
Just from tinkering around a bit using both, it looks to me like they are both using the cache, but Safari renders the page again where Chrome does not. Why that is, I have no idea.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion