Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpuin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Hi,

i'm about to make an iPhone app with HTML5 and JavaScript.
I would like to know which is the right approach to make an app which will support both sizes for iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5?
I know that if i make it for iPhone 4 the rest of the space on iPhone 5 will be filled with black but is there some smart approach?

Thanks in advance

P.S.Does somebody know where i can find a XCode template which simply launch an HTML file?Meaning project that launches a browser.I don't want to use Phonegap

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
i'm about to make an iPhone app with HTML5 and JavaScript.

Hi there.

That's not an iPhone app, that's a web app. A well-designed web app can handle a variety of resolutions.

Also, be aware: if you want to have an app that's available on the App Store, it needs to be more than just a front-end to a web-app. That is, in order to not get rejected by Apple, it needs to provide functionality beyond what the web-app provides.

You sound like you're pretty new to programming. What's your background?

cpuin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
I use C++ with QT but i never had developer registeation in Apple and i don't know which are their requirements for this kind of app.

HTML5 + JavaScript wrapped in Cocoa webview

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I use C++ with QT but i never had developer registeation in Apple and i don't know which are their requirements for this kind of app.
Without a paid developer account, you don't have access to the App Store Review Guidelines, which is where they explain about websites bundled as apps. If you don't plan on offering any functionality beyond a web-app, just make a web-app, advertise it, and forget about the App Store.

HTML5 + JavaScript wrapped in Cocoa webview

Do you mean UIWebView? Make sure you understand the difference between Cocoa (OS X) and Cocoa Touch (iOS).

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
There is a class called WebView which is only available in OS X.

There's a similar class for iOS called UIWebView.

cpuin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Thanks for the answers.

By the way, are there the same requirements for Mac OS? I mean is there some alternative of PhoneGAP for Desktop? I would like to make also app for the mac os with HTML5 and JavaScript which should create/read file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.