Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old May 17, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1
moonman239
macrumors 65816

Should Apple set up iMessage to send SMSes?

I just e-mailed a text message from my iPad to someone who does not accept iMessages. This made me think. Wouldn't it be nice if Apple created an iMessage-to-SMS gateway? I would prefer, of course, that a designated phone number, whether the device that uses that number is an iPhone or not, show up on the recipient's phone as the sender's phone number.

I imagine this would make the iPhone look more favorable to someone who's stuck with a carrier that charges more for texting than for a good data plan.

Maybe this would also make the iPod touch or iPad more favorable to those who do not, and may never, want to buy an iPhone.

What are your thoughts?
Old May 18, 2013, 12:27 PM   #2
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't happen due to the carriers, they'd be pissed off if Apple circumvented their SMS fees like that.
paulbennett95 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 03:28 AM   #3
nickhutson
macrumors member

Carriers still charge for SMS?

They gave up doing that years ago here in the UK - unless you're on PAYG - and even then, they're often included.
nickhutson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 03:30 PM   #4
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Apple is all about ecosystems.
I would much rather see them expand on iMessage (free texting between iOS devices) and implement free VoIP calling between iOS devices first.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 03:32 PM   #5
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

Couldn't they simply send the iMessage from ipad/mac to your iPhone then as SMS? Therefore not curcumveniting carrier texting fees and allowing the ability only for people who have an iPhone of course. I don't understand why Apple has yet to do this, would help iMessage significantly.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:52 PM   #6
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

you can send an iMessage sms to someone who does not accept iMessage just tap over the message and tap "send as sms"
apollo1444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 11:10 PM   #7
sarcosis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhutson View Post

They gave up doing that years ago here in the UK - unless you're on PAYG - and even then, they're often included.
Sadly we still do. Makes me upset every time I think about it. That's why I try not to think about it since there isn't anything that I can do about it.
Old May 29, 2013, 07:46 PM   #8
zorinlynx
macrumors 68030

This is a feature I've been wanting Apple to implement ever since iMessage came out.

I'm often using my iPad and my iPhone is nearby, across the room, etc. I'd love for a received text message to be quietly sent to the iPad, allowing me to respond, using the phone as an SMS gateway on the same local network.

It would be trivial to implement and be a remarkably handy feature! Also, when the iPad and iPhone join the same Wifi network, they could sync conversations so you always have the same Messages view across your iDevices.

I doubt it'll happen, though.
zorinlynx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 12:03 AM   #9
Michael CM1
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Wouldn't happen due to the carriers, they'd be pissed off if Apple circumvented their SMS fees like that.
Carriers have pretty much given off monetizing that. Aside from legacy plans, most of the US carriers are pretty much throwing unlimited voice and SMS at you -- for $20 more a month. iMessage helped kill that, thankfully.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:14 AM   #10
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
you can send an iMessage sms to someone who does not accept iMessage just tap over the message and tap "send as sms"
you can only do that from an iphone, not an ipad or ipod touch. instead of sending imessages as texts, it'd be nice if apple just made an imessage app for android or windows phone.
Old May 30, 2013, 02:18 PM   #11
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:

8-19 cent each if you have no unlimited text or volume package here in Germany

but thanks to iMessage and mostly WhatsApp i havent sent an sms in months
Old May 30, 2013, 03:39 PM   #12
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Carriers would charge for you to turn on your phone if they could get away with it.

They'll charge for anything.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 08:29 PM   #13
xcodeaddict
Banned

Seriously, in this day and age, if you **pay** for SMS, you are a mug.
xcodeaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 02:33 AM   #14
moonman239
macrumors 65816

I did a little work on an SMS gateway for Macs. It was an AppleScript that would detect an incoming iMessage and send the message to a designated cellphone via Google Voice.

User sends message intended for John Appleseed to his iMessage account -> User's designated Mac receives the message, and sees that it is intended for John Appleseed -> Mac relays message via Google Voice's texting feature to John Appleseed's cellphone.

One problem that this idea introduces is the problem of how the computer is supposed to know where the message is supposed to go. The user would either have to create one email address for each contact and add all addresses to his iMessage account, or he'd have to type out the recipient's name every time he sent a message.

The first option might be good enough for now, but I don't think the AppleScript would know which email address the user sent the iMessage to.

A possible, and easy, solution would be to simply send an e-mail to the recipient's phone. Anyone can send an email to almost any phone, and it will be converted to an SMS by the carrier. To find the e-mail domain to use, do a Web search for "email-to-SMS gateway (recipient's carrier's name here)." For AT&T, the domain to use is mms.att.net.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:43 PM   #15
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcodeaddict View Post
Not everyone lives in the US.
bozzykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:52 AM   #16
xcodeaddict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
Not everyone lives in the US.
I'm not in the USA - I am in the UK
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:59 AM   #17
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
This is only on iPhone - OP is talking about doing it from a device without an SMS plan so Apple would be sending the SMS.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:50 AM   #18
CAWjr
macrumors 6502

I pay for unlimited text on my AT&T family plan because I have a number of text alerts set up from multiple services that do not use iMessage, plus we still have friends who (shockingly) don't have iPhones & cannot send iMessages & I would rather not have to bother with the worry of "Am I over my monthly allotment of texts?"

Yeah it sucks, & I would rather not have to deal with it, but you cannot wipe out your text message plan altogether because the carriers will not allow you to turn it off. And without a plan, people can send you text messages all day & you are charged for incoming messages just as much as you are charged for outgoing messages.
CAWjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 01:12 PM   #19
1080p
macrumors 68000

I think Apple should build in a way that allows iPhone to link with other iMessage capable devices (iPad/Mac) via Bluetooth and then allow the client connected iMessage apps to use the SMS connectivity of the iPhone (SMS composed on the iPad/Mac routed through the iPhone automatically and wirelessly).
Old Jun 7, 2013, 04:00 PM   #20
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not in the USA - I am in the UK
And clearly you have no friends outside of the UK!
Old Jun 7, 2013, 05:09 PM   #21
xcodeaddict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian9 View Post
"Clearly" nothing, you are wrong.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 06:04 AM   #22
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian9 View Post
Quote:
"Clearly" nothing, you are wrong.
The point I was trying to make was that if you need to send messages internationally then no plans that I'm aware of will allow you to do this free of charge.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 06:46 AM   #23
pittpanthersfan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
Apple is all about ecosystems.
I would much rather see them expand on iMessage (free texting between iOS devices) and implement free VoIP calling between iOS devices first.
Like FaceTime with the camera disabled?
pittpanthersfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 07:38 AM   #24
profets
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpanthersfan View Post
Like FaceTime with the camera disabled?
VoiceTime. That would be nice. I'd imagine while in a FaceTime call you put the phone to your ear and it would turn into a voice only call.
profets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:08 AM   #25
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

I still don't understand why people still use (and pay) SMS ... is there still a phone outside not able to send a simple eMail via IMAP ? Even simple "flip-phones" have email. The only SMS I receive is when someone hit my voice box ...
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7