Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nREMfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Ok, so my "use a Macbook Pro as a desktop replacement experiment" is over. It was pretty fast. But when when editing large files in Photoshop CS6, it was like riding in a Cessna. Fans o'plenty.

Anyway, below are my specs, and I plan to upgrade to 24GB of RAM, and if the WWDC fails to impress, a 6-core processor.

But what about a video card? As stated I deal with large files in Photoshop, and they tend to get "pokey" with layer effects. I don't do much video. Mainly desktop publishing, and internet. Is there a card out there that would make a difference for me?

Thank you for you help.

MP 5,1
2.8 Quad
16GB RAM
SSD Boot/Apps
ATI Radeon 5770
10.7.6 (don't mind upgrading to 10.8 to get a cheaper card if it matters/helps)

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Ok, so my "use a Macbook Pro as a desktop replacement experiment" is over. It was pretty fast. But when when editing large files in Photoshop CS6, it was like riding in a Cessna. Fans o'plenty.

Anyway, below are my specs, and I plan to upgrade to 24GB of RAM, and if the WWDC fails to impress, a 6-core processor.

But what about a video card? As stated I deal with large files in Photoshop, and they tend to get "pokey" with layer effects. I don't do much video. Mainly desktop publishing, and internet. Is there a card out there that would make a difference for me?

Thank you for you help.

MP 5,1
2.8 Quad
16GB RAM
SSD Boot/Apps
ATI Radeon 5770
10.7.6 (don't mind upgrading to 10.8 to get a cheaper card if it matters/helps)

GTX 680. You won't believe the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.