Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Does anybody know what the up to date situation is with this game.

Seems the last update was back in Feb I think it was and still there are bugs, even right at the start of the game in Candlekeep, quest item not being given, so quest cannot be completed.

I know about the workarounds still nice to play the game as it should be played though.

Last edited:

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Ever since I bought it from the Mac App Store, I get "Update" button instead of "Installed" but no update itself.

After all the troubles they had with the Mac App Store version, maybe they got it right at Steam or Beamdog.

But yeah, after encountering the bug you are mentioning, which is like after five minutes of gameplay, I browsed the official forum a bit and found out a large portion of the game is still buggy.

I simply cannot recommend to play the Enhanced version at this time.:)

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Ever since I bought it from the Mac App Store, I get "Update" button instead of "Installed" but no update itself.

After all the troubles they had with the Mac App Store version, maybe they got it right at Steam or Beamdog.

But yeah, after encountering the bug you are mentioning, which is like after five minutes of gameplay, I browsed the official forum a bit and found out a large portion of the game is still buggy.

This the second game I have try to play that has been ported to the Mac in not so many weeks that is bugged.

Got mine from Beamdog, mine tells me Up to Date with a Launch button.

All down to the old Baldurs Gate running in a Wine Wrapper, got my mine from GOG cheaper as well :)

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

I have noticed the exact same thing with the Update button instead of Installed. So I clicked it one time the first time I noticed it and it seemed to reinstall itself completely. After that, no change in the button. It is sad beyond sad that they managed to screw up Baldur's Gate. I hope they get their act together and fix the bugs still. How they ever managed to introduce so many bugs into the game is beyond me. I think they should have tinkered less with the base game and focused on their added content, the graphical improvements, etc. Quest items missing in the first five minutes? Really?

----------

This the second game I have try to play that has been ported to the Mac in not so many weeks that is bugged.

Got mine from Beamdog, mine tells me Up to Date with a Launch button.

All down to the old Baldurs Gate running in a Wine Wrapper, got my mine from GOG cheaper as well :)

Go check out the Steam forum for all the feedback on the Windows release. They didn't fail just Mac users, believe me. They screwed up across the board. It's not a Mac issue. The issue is a company that so far does not know how to deliver a quality release to any platform.

I should add that I don't know anything about the iPad version. Maybe by some miracle they didn't screw that up but somehow I doubt it given their performance elsewhere.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012

It is sad beyond sad that they managed to screw up Baldur's Gate. I hope they get their act together and fix the bugs still. How they ever managed to introduce so many bugs into the game is beyond me.

Interestingly enough, there has been Baldur's Gate port for over a year and with no issues whatsoever.

Prior to the release of the Enhanced Edition, I thought the devs were fixing bugs already present within the game. However, I cannot recall a single issue with either Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 on PC, but I remember Trent Oster's tweets mentioning hundreds of bugs and endless amount of fixes to the Baldur's Gate 2 "original" engine.

After trying out the Enhanced Edition, I simply stopped following him on twitter, forgot about his beta for now and moved on hoping he is going to fix it with the money I paid him.:)

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Interestingly enough, there has been Baldur's Gate port for over a year and with no issues whatsoever.

Prior to the release of the Enhanced Edition, I thought the devs were fixing bugs already present within the game. However, I cannot recall a single issue with either Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 on PC, but I remember Trent Oster's tweets mentioning hundreds of bugs and endless amount of fixes to the Baldur's Gate 2 "original" engine.

After trying out the Enhanced Edition, I simply stopped following him on twitter, forgot about his beta for now and moved on hoping he is going to fix it with the money I paid him.:)

That is not a port it as in a stand alone Mac version, it is the PC version in a wrapper.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

I played through Baldur's Gate more than a year ago now using BGtutu, so running with the BG2 engine. I added the fixpack mod and the npc banter mod and that was it. I didn't even use the widescreen mod because at the time just prior to buying my iMac I did not have a widescreen monitor.

I encountered ZERO bugs in over 70 hours of gameplay. It is possible I might have stumbled on something so slight I missed it I suppose but I never noticed a single bug. I had no problem at all with any quest, fight, anything beyond my own occasional ineptitude of course. lol

Those clowns really screwed up bigtime in my opinion by managing to badly break a game that at the minimum worked pretty darned well already before they started messing with it. Frankly, I would have been content with a nice package including all important mods already applied, ported to run on OS X and call it a day. But, charge me 10 bucks for that, not 20. I can live without missing cut scenes, badly done replacement cut scenes (imo), extra npcs (I could mod that in if I wanted some), or a sequence of arena battles. I mean, those are nice and all, assuming they could actually manage to release a properly working game to begin with.

Actually, I think maybe I am being too cheap there and 20 bucks would be a fair price to me IF they delivered the goods with a quality release. I don't require perfection. I understand stuff happens. I just want a reasonably stable release with minimal issues that get patched in a reasonable amount of time after something releases. I understand perfection in software development is not humanly possible, at lease not for now but that isn't a license to do a poor job and worse yet fail to adequately test something before releasing it.

How could anyone have played through the opening minutes of the game in Candlekeep and not know about a missing quest item???

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
How could anyone have played through the opening minutes of the game in Candlekeep and not know about a missing quest item???

You are referring to the wizard's apprentice that is supposed to give you something to deliver at the inn but instead he keeps saying that your father wants to speak to you ? Yes, it is annoying but I think that's the only broken quest at least for as far as I have reached in the game. But the game suffers from other kind of bugs, specially combat-related - or it did during first versions of release.

But I agree, that BG was a well-ironed game without issues for lots of years. Releasing a remake with so many issues sounds weird.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
It's buggy, but my experiences with it haven't been nearly as bad as what I'm seeing on here.

It's simple. The better knowledge of AD&D mechanics you have, the more bugs you notice. Honestly, I do not have a crystal clear understanding of that, but guys that do seem to find a bug on every other step.:)

To anybody who has played the original game it's not hard to notice the little differences/enhancements. Myself, I can't help to dislike most of them and I did really try to get into it.:D

If they at least introduced settings to change anything.

Seriously, the 14 pounds you are paying is for carcass of the original + several untasteful, but mandatory mods + a ton of bugs.

You don't have to spend a dime to have all that bug free.

The only advantage is the iPad version, but I am not sure it applies, because you still get that same enhanced game.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.