Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greg_C

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
USA
I was looking into getting a PowerBook earlier this year, and one of the things I (and my parents) really appreciated was Apple's Education Discount. I was able to find my high school in a list on Apple's website and then browse the online store with all prices shown with the education discount. However, I never ended up getting my PowerBook. Recently I was browsing around Apple's site/store and noticed that there no longer seems to be a way to get a discount for high school students, and I can't find my school in any of the lists or searches. It seems as that Apple is no longer offering discounts to high school students, only teachers and college/university students. Is this true? :confused: Would I still be able to receive an education discount through a (brick-and-mortar) Apple store? Thanks.

--Greg

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
no.
it's available only to college students because they pay tuition.

There's some loophole that if you're a member of the PTA or something,it works

but it is soo helpful to have a brother in Uni, haha.

sorry, dude. :(

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
true they only give it to teachers and students above grade 12, but im not sure if they ever did give it to High school students. The brick Apple strore will not give edu discounts to HS students:(

out of luck

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
I seem to hearing and reading about people who get the education discount if they are doing something art or computer related, even if it's only high school level education. Could be that they're bending the rules occationally.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
katie ta achoo said:
no.
it's available only to college students because they pay tuition.
not true i go to a private school (k-12) and i pay tuition and Apple does not give me an edu discount

Greg_C

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
USA
Thanks for the quick reply. That's a real bummer, but I can see their reasoning. However, I (well my parents) pay tuition, as I'm in a private high school [edit] like zap2. Oh well. I better get to savin' up some extra cash...

--Greg

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
not true i go to a private school (k-12) and i pay tuition and Apple does not give me an edu discount

Well I would think a large part of it is that most college students have to pay their own way throught school so Apple helps out in that way. As in your case, you parents most likely pay for your private k-12 education, and Apple probably realizes that is the case.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
Greg_C said:
I was looking into getting a PowerBook earlier this year, and one of the things I (and my parents) really appreciated was Apple's Education Discount. I was able to find my high school in a list on Apple's website and then browse the online store with all prices shown with the education discount. However, I never ended up getting my PowerBook. Recently I was browsing around Apple's site/store and noticed that there no longer seems to be a way to get a discount for high school students, and I can't find my school in any of the lists or searches. It seems as that Apple is no longer offering discounts to high school students, only teachers and college/university students. Is this true? :confused: Would I still be able to receive an education discount through a (brick-and-mortar) Apple store? Thanks.

--Greg

Far be it for me to suggest someone do something dishonest but......

I've ordered many a thing from Apple store online with the education discount and also via their telesales department. While I have been a student in each instance, I did notice that they've never questioned me or required any kind of evidence that I was in school....

Of course, I recall seeing something that said if you were even accepted into a university, you were eligable. You could start applying for colleges :)

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
but it is soo helpful to have a brother in Uni, haha.

or you could have just ordered it online where they dont check for ID...

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
When I was in high school, I ordered a couple things with the edu discount by selecting my high school from the list (shhhhh ;))

Now that I'm in college, I walk into the Apple store, show them my ID and can walk out with a shiny new Apple product at the discount price :D

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
dukebound85 said:

Well I would think a large part of it is that most college students have to pay their own way throught school so Apple helps out in that way. As in your case, you parents most likely pay for your private k-12 education, and Apple probably realizes that is the case.

No, its your choice to go to a private secondary school. You could go to a public school.

College students pay tuition no matter if their school is public or private.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.