Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I have a macbook pro that I am thinking about selling before the apple care runs out on it, would like to know how I clean it; getting the apps off it that I want, and removing personal documents.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Fairly simple, switch on Filevault2 if you haven't done so and if you have a newer OS, then create a new User, call it Admin and give it Admin rights.
Next log out of the normal user account, login into admin and delete the normal user account.
Then just delete the Apps you want, or use uninstallers if there are uninstallers for the Apps.
Last delete the following contents folders.

/Library/caches All contents
/Library/logs All contents
/private/var/folders All folder inside this folder
private/var/logs All contents

Restart, login into Admin, empty trash, don't do anything more like browsing or anything else, just logout after emptying the trash, that's it.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I installed OS X on an external drive, booted into that, then did a 0-out erase on the internal drive. Then reinstall OS X. When it comes to the registration part shut it down. It'll be ready like new for the next person.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Don't you need to de-authorise certain apps before you remove them from the system, like iTunes etc??

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Don't you need to de-authorise certain apps before you remove them from the system, like iTunes etc??

I've never done this. It'll just count towards your 5 PCs which doesn't really mean anything until you try to activate number 6. Then you can just deauthorize all of them.

I guess you could go through all your apps and make sure they're unregistered. It might be important for Adobe stuff.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I've never done this. It'll just count towards your 5 PCs which doesn't really mean anything until you try to activate number 6. Then you can just deauthorize all of them.

I guess you could go through all your apps and make sure they're unregistered. It might be important for Adobe stuff.

What about apps from the app store etc? I know some of them you can only install on 3 systems?
What if you have them on 3 already, and wipe one of them to install on another? FCPX for example - how would you deauthorise that, or do you need to?
Cheers.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
What about apps from the app store etc? I know some of them you can only install on 3 systems?
What if you have them on 3 already, and wipe one of them to install on another? FCPX for example - how would you deauthorise that, or do you need to?
Cheers.

I honestly can't answer that. FCPX's FAQs state you can install it on Apple computers you own on control. If you have any software that might need to be deauthorized you might want to do that first. I think the only one I have would maybe be MS Office. Although with my Windows versions if anything I'd just need to call in and get it reauthorized.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I honestly can't answer that. FCPX's FAQs state you can install it on Apple computers you own on control. If you have any software that might need to be deauthorized you might want to do that first. I think the only one I have would maybe be MS Office. Although with my Windows versions if anything I'd just need to call in and get it reauthorized.

Yes I had that issue with MS Office once - I called MS up and they deauthorised them for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.