Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amusong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
ORIGINAL PROBLEM #1: Get old family video footage from Video 8 tapes into FCPX to make some family movies.
SOLUTION #1: Use a local bureau service to produce DVD's and import these into FCPX. DVD's produced.

PROBLEM #2: Of course I can't import these DVD's directly into FCPX.
SOLUTION #2: Download and get MPEG Streamclip onto the job, which seems to work OK. Convert 18 DVD's to MOV files in this way. Import them all into FCP successfully.

PROBLEM #3: Oh no, on closer examination in FCP, some (but not all) converted files have time shift in both audio and video. Some MOV files are badly out of sync (up to minutes out) in some parts, but the same MOV can be OK in other parts. Some MOV files are OK all the way through. Erratic and unpredictable outcomes.
SOLUTION #3: Tried whole lot of different settings in MPEG Streamclip, and different output types (including DV and MPEG4).

PROBLEM #4: The problem remains, and what is more the exact same compressions are occurring in the exact same places. Seems a bit weird to me.
SOLUTION #4: OK ...stay calm....do a bit of research on the net.... MACX DVD Ripper Pro might do the job...download and try. The first conversion works perfectly. Get it into MPEG4 and then into FCPX and all is good.

PROBLEM #5: Oh boy.........flushed with success.......but the second time i try to do this conversion with MACX DVD Ripper Pro (on another DVD) the conversion takes about 5 seconds and gives me a 1.6 MB file. Yep - it has only converted the very first few minutes of the DVD. I have now tried quite a few things within this program, and it will ONLY EVER give me a few minutes of conversion. I have not been able to find anyone else talking about this issue on the net.
SOLUTION #5: I go back to the bureau and see if they can produce me a file that can be imported directly into FCPX rather than a DVD. They can and do, but can only do so using Power Director, a PC only program. I get an MPEG4 file.

PROBLEM #6: Not necessarily a fatal problem yet, but the bureau guy has given me a hard drive formatted for Windows NT I cannot read on my iMac. I could discard these files and format the hard drive in MSDOS FAT which both machines can read, but file size would be limited to 4GB (naturally my files are all 10-15 GB minimum). Perhaps I could try to format the hard drive in exFAT, but I am not sure if this is the way to go either. And anyway the bureau guy has now gone away on holiday!!

SOLUTION #6 (not yet available): I am a patient and methodical guy but am starting to wonder if I am going to make it at all with this project. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I really would rather not involve the bureau guy further if not necessary (he has been very helpful but his patience will be limited in the end). I also think that I should be able to do what is needed with MPEG Streamclip and/or MACX DVD Ripper pro.

Any thoughts or ideas?????

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
If you have a working video 8 player/camcorder, an ADVC 110 would do it easily with no problems.

Jim61

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
You could try Handbrake or another program to convert the DVDs to mp4.

I think NTFS files can be read by a Mac. Are you able to get access to a PC and copy the files onto a NTFS formatted HD?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Fa8362 gave best answer. Buy one of those. I did and it worked very well.

You're already working from a low-res source. Trying to go to DVD,then edit, then render is losing quality at each format switch.

Get that hardware and you can import into QT, edit that directly, render. Best quality you'll get out of that old footage.

Check with the service that did it for you. They might have done this and might be able to give you the QT files.

amusong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Thanks for your helpful replies guys.

The reason I went to the bureau initially was because my old camera has bitten the dust. I did originally think about getting another camera and an analogue/digital converter, but thought that the bureau option would be more robust, and also was not sure about the risk in trying to buy a second camera (I am in regional Australia not a big city). For amount of money I have spent so far it may in fact have been a better choice in the long run. I accept the comments about better quality this way too.

I guess I thought there may be some known issues that were causing the various softwares to behave as they have, particularly the short fuse for MacX DVD Ripper Pro, and hoped that someone might have an inspirational idea in that regard.

RE Handbrake - I downloaded it since my original post and it TOO only ripped 13 seconds then stopped and delivered my a very short clip.

I am coming to the conclusion that there is something about the DVD's themselves which may common to all these issues. I have now had problems with 4 different ripping programs which generally work well enough for other people. The person at the bureau is back from his trip tomorrow so I will go back to him and see what he says.

Regards

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Let us know. I have video 8 tapes and i will transfer them to a card and then unto my FCP-X or iMovie software.
The software converter i use is Bigasoft Total Video Converter

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Again, contact that bureau and see if you can buy a second copy of the conversions as Quicktime (QT) files. They might have imported them as QT before making your DVDs and may still have them in their archives. If you can get them in QT format, you can import them straight into FCP X and edit away.

Even if you find some way to get the files working by going from those DVDs, you're still loosing quality by going through so many generations before you end up with a final version. If you can get them from 8mm to QT, you'll cut a lot of those generational losses out.

Maybe even do some strategic whining about your problems using the DVDs and they might give you a break on the QT version purchase?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Read up on GOP formats.

Going back and forth will cause many issues.

montgomeryr

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012
video 8 to FCPX

Although I discovered that FCPX looses audio sync on long DV tranfers via firewire, perhaps you could try this. Purchase a used Sony digital 8 cam. These offer the ability to output an analogue 8mm to digital via firewire. Output into imovie 9 etc then access that file in FCPX imovie import feature. You can also try first to go directly in FCPX as one of the updates may have fixed the sync issue.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
its not FCPX fault that people are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
folks please use the right tools for the job.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Does the original DVD play OK on a regular DVD player? Does it play OK on your Mac using DVD Player?

If I have trouble converting something using MPEG Streamclip, I will
  1. copy the video_ts folder to my Mac
  2. open the DVD in MPEG Streamclip
  3. convert to MPEG.

That last step just creates a single MPEG2 file as one nice unit. I doesn't re-encode anything, just muxes. Check that it plays OK and stays in sync the whole way.

Then, I go about any further conversions. You can use MPEG Streamclip from there to create a ProRes file for the best conversion.

Recently I had to use a video file that was shot on an iPhone. Went for about 8 minutes. No probs, quick conversion with MPEG Streamclip, do it all the time. No way. The audio sync drifted and drifted and nothing I did would keep it in place. I tried to force it to 48 kHz, I tried different codecs, nothing worked. I spent hours on this sucker.

Eventually I pulled it into Compressor and converted it to a QT movie (ProRes) and all was good. Try Compressor.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I work at a TV station and part of my job is quality control and that means receiving all sort of videos in all sort of formats.

There is a software called MacTheRipper, it creates disc images of your DVDs into your hard drive. It solves most extracting problems even some copy protection.

Well... first... if you are going to rip DVDs to .mov, do it from images in your hard drive, not directly from the DVD drive, it takes for ever and there are always glitches.

Then, MPEG Streamclip should work just fine using the disc images from your drive. Convert the files into Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ), is a better format for editing. MPEG4 is for delivery, not editing, the data is compiled differently.

The software I use to convert into QT is Cinematize Pro, it works just fine for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.