Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chizzer2003

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
PLEASE NOTE, I AM NOT TRYING TO ADVERTISE MY LAPTOP ON THESE FORUMS

I was just wondering how much a 13" Baseline with 8GB RAM 2012 MacBook Air would be worth. The laptop has very minor cosmetic wear: a minor but recognisable scratch on the bottom and an incredibly small dint in the aluminium just above the MagSafe port. Other than that it is in very good condition with 94% battery health. I have the original box, documentation and charging accessories.

I've looked on eBay but can't really find a model with 8GB RAM and minor cosmetic wear to compare it to. Would you reckon £890 ($1368) would be reasonable? The price of a brand new one from Apple is £1079 ($1658, yes the prices are ridiculous here in the UK!).

Thanks in advance

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
well, if that's the ebay going rate then that's the ebay going rate - but i personally wouldn't pay $200 under sticker for any used computer let alone one with physical damage.

especially when you can get the device new on Amazon for about that...

however - i don't think it's an entirely unreasonable expectation, and if local prices are higher i'm sure local used prices are also higher.

good luck!

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
how much a 13" Baseline with 8GB RAM 2012 MacBook Air would be worth/Would you reckon £890 ($1368) would be reasonable? The price of a brand new one from Apple is £1079

I'm checking UK refurb prices quite often as UK prices are better than Italian prices - sometimes even including a cheap air-fare!!

Typically UK refurbs are 15% discounted from the price when the item was new, if your MBA13 was £1079 then it's price from Apple as a refurbished model (having the second quality control, coming with a year's warranty) would be £917.17 including postage.

There aren't any 13"s on refurb at present, just a bunch of 11"s - so Yes, you might be able to get close to £850 for yours - but perhaps only for then next twenty days or so as then it would be an older model assuming there's the refresh at WWDC. Sell as soon as possible for the best price you can get, remember to make a back-up to your external hard-disk so you'll be up & running to migrate to your new PC.

is eBay the best place? - just slightly worried about the sharp practises of some buyers - stories of people claiming item 'never arrived' or 'was faulty' , can't you sell it to someone you know/advertise locally on a notice-board?

Personally I'm looking for a Haswell 11inch MBA

chizzer2003

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
I'm checking UK refurb prices quite often as UK prices are better than Italian prices - sometimes even including a cheap air-fare!!

Typically UK refurbs are 15% discounted from the price when the item was new, if your MBA13 was £1079 then it's price from Apple as a refurbished model (having the second quality control, coming with a year's warranty) would be £917.17 including postage.

There aren't any 13"s on refurb at present, just a bunch of 11"s - so Yes, you might be able to get close to £850 for yours - but perhaps only for then next twenty days or so as then it would be an older model assuming there's the refresh at WWDC. Sell as soon as possible for the best price you can get, remember to make a back-up to your external hard-disk so you'll be up & running to migrate to your new PC.

is eBay the best place? - just slightly worried about the sharp practises of some buyers - stories of people claiming item 'never arrived' or 'was faulty' , can't you sell it to someone you know/advertise locally on a notice-board?

Personally I'm looking for a Haswell 11inch MBA

I too have heard horror stories from eBay, but I think if I play it extra careful i'll be fine. There's dangers accossiated with a lot of things if you're not careful. I hear if the buyers address is verified and you use tracked delivery, PayPal will protect you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.